Home > Direct Marketing > Periodic Mailings: Mail Piece Shelf Life

Periodic Mailings: Mail Piece Shelf Life

Sending out periodic mailings to a target audience can be a great way to build name recognition and position yourself as an authority figure.

One factor that I consider when deciding on a periodic mail piece is "Shelf Life". Or put another way... how long will the recipient hold on to this mail piece?

I can still remember one client who contacted me off a mail piece he had received five (5) years earlier. He said he had stuck my postcard in his sock drawer for when the time came that he would need it.

I've found that the mail pieces I have used that had the longest shelf life had something of value printed on it. For instance;
  • Recipes
  • Sports Schedules
  • Helpful Contact Information [Fire, Police, Hospital, etc.]
  • Coupons
  • etc, etc, etc.
- by SalesPro
Five (5) years? That must have been one bad a** mail piece. :p - by SEO-LAD
Five (5) years? That must have been one bad a** mail piece. :p
Not really. :eek:

The guy must have been a pack rat or something. :p - by SalesPro
Five years? That's awesome. :) - by Calvin
I think this whole sock drawer story points out the importance of consistency and diligence--Even when you don't see immediate results. I don't know what is more funny, the fact that he saved you for 5 years in his sock drawer OR that he actually admitted that to you!

When I'm feeling discouraged, this story perks me up and gives me a good laugh, no matter how many times I read it!!:D - by RainMaker
I can still remember one client who contacted me off a mail piece he had received five (5) years earlier. He said he had stuck my postcard in his sock drawer for when the time came that he would need it.
Ok, so I'm jumping around looking for a particular thread where the name has escaped me, and here it is.... my favorite one, and I start laughing and just HAVE to read it again. This needs to be hung on a wall or something. I bet this guy's drawer is filled with argile socks (from the Great Depression)! - by RainMaker
I bet this guy's drawer is filled with argile socks (from the Great Depression)!
So you've met him already. :p - by SalesPro
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.