Home > Personal Selling > Automobile Sales

Automobile Sales

Auto sales isn't what I do but I was thinking about it today and one thought led to another. I was wondering how do you sell a car? If you are a car salesperson and I drive up to your dealership, get out and start looking around what do you do to sell me a car? - by Thomas
There is a split between dealer approaches to selling and a dichotemy even can exist within a dealership.

Track selling systems are often used, particularly in large dealerships. The sales person is trained to follow a specific canned procedure from start to finish with every prospect they approach. Most often these systems are proprietary to outside companies who have sold the dealers their system and training. In most cases the use of the procedure is obligatory.

On the other side of the fence is the very professional consultative style used by salespeople with tenure and a strong following of past customers. It is not uncommon for even the "track" houses to leave them do their own thing.

It would be rare for a newcomer to auto sales to be completely allowed to choose their own procedure for selling. - by Gary Boye
[quote=Gary Boye]It is not uncommon for even the "track" houses to leave them do their own thing.
[quote]

....let them do their own thing.

I'll add one more thing to my response to Thomas' question. In car dealerships, regardless of the variance in approach to the sales process, the underlying intent is to slow the prospect down. It is based on a practical theory that "time binds". To the best of my knowledge, all of the so-called track systems center on that strategy. - by Gary Boye
Look, I have done car sales. It is your basic Meet, Greet, Qualify, and Council.

Body language pays a big deal with a car salesman. He is paying attention to your every move and reaction. The corner of his eye is trained on your side lip to see when you smirk. If you don't look at him when you are speaking, he will probably loose interest. - by Ed Callais
Gary, could you give an example of a "track selling sytem"?

Ed, is there any meet, greet, qualify and council system? - by Thomas
Gary, could you give an example of a "track selling sytem"?
You can find some descriptions on the following site, written in a real "buyer beware" mode.

http://hffo.cuna.org/guides/carbuy1.html?sub_id=12433

I can't remember any of the names of the proprietary systems.

The material on the above site is very uncomplimentary to auto salespeople and dealerships. I don't share that attitude. Some of the most professional, service conscious, and honest salespeople I've known made their living selling cars. The best and most skilled that I've known in that field were the best and most skilled I've known in any field. - by Gary Boye
I am going to read that Gary. Thank you.

I don't have an attitude towards car sales either. I have a relative that sells cars and he's cool. ;) - by Thomas
I was wondering how do you sell a car? If you are a car salesperson and I drive up to your dealership, get out and start looking around what do you do to sell me a car?
I would walk right up to you and ask, "Who can I help you find?"

If you are not working with someone else I would ask, "Why are you hear today?"

When you say you are just here to look at cars I would ask, "Fine. Let me point you in the right direction. Which cars were you looking for?"

I'm not in the car business but those three questions should break the ice enough for you to get the opportunity to keep on truckin'. :) - by SpeedRacer

When you say you are just here to look at cars I would ask, "Fine. Let me point you in the right direction. Which cars were you looking for?"

I'm not in the car business but those three questions should break the ice enough for you to get the opportunity to keep on truckin'. :)
I think that is an excellent approach. - by Gary Boye

I'm not in the car business but those three questions should break the ice enough for you to get the opportunity to keep on truckin'. :)
That is a little different than I would have thought. Was there any reason for those specific questions? - by Thomas
it's called, or at least where I work, it's called "the road to the sale"..

Meet & Greet
Qualify
Demo
.... it's sad that I don't know it, I just sell cars

i will tell you what I do. First of all, I rarely take lot ups.. I usually talk to customers on the phone or internet leads. but lets say I do take a lot up, unlike most sales people, I let you bait yourself before I talk to you. the response I get is alot better than if I bombarded you before you got out the car. Iwill let you look around, so I can take a look at what you like, get my gameplan together, look at your body language... if you look too nervous like you are playing "lets go look at cars without letting a salesman see us" I won't waste my time... I look at the car you drove up in,... basically game plan, so you just can't say "i'm just looking"... you can't say that when you have looked at every mazda miata on our lot, i know you want a miata, or at least a convertable, that way I can go in and assume you want one... if there is one in particular I can already have the keys in my hand.

one thing I do differently than anyone I know, and it just makes more sense, is that I will actually work the numbers on the deal backwards. If where you tell me where you want to be financially is not in line with the car, I won't waste my time showing it to you. I ask what they had in mind as far as payments, or better yet, what are they paying now, and how much did they plan on putting down as a down payment, if we can get there, or within say, 50 bucks a month one way or another without giving the car away, I will go ahead..I can bump someone 50 bucks a month if I have to.. anything else I am better off looking at a nother car.

I always show two cars, so I can do an alternative close... so it's not between buy or not buy, it's buy option one or option two - by asisiempre
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.