Home > Interview > Overview of the interview step

Overview of the interview step

Can someone outline or provide a general overview of the interview step in selling? - by kodah
General overview... hmmm. Well, the interview step is basically your information gathering step. There are certain pieces of information you want to know before moving forward in the sales call.

Examples of the information you would want to know include:
  • Are you talking the the person who has the authority to make the purchasing decision?
  • Will the prospect need to consult with anyone else prior to making a purchasing decision?
  • What is the prospect's buying process for this type of purchase? Does it need to go through any specific channels?
  • When will the prospect make the purchasing decision?
  • Does the prospect have the ability to pay for the purchase?
  • What does the prospect want?
  • Why does the prospect want it? What will that do for the prospect?
  • What other solutions is the prospect considering?
  • etc., etc.
Did that answer your question? - by Agent Smith
Is there a list anywhere of generic questions that salespeople in general should be asking during the interview?

What's the best way to move into and out of the interview step. What do you say? - by kodah
Is there a list anywhere of generic questions that salespeople in general should be asking during the interview?
I have not seen a list like this before but that doesn't mean it isn't available somewhere.

What's the best way to move into and out of the interview step. What do you say?
Here's a basic example:

I'd like to ask you a few questions to get a better understanding of what you're trying to achieve.... (Interview) ...based on what we've just covered I believe I can be of help. Let me show you ... - by Agent Smith
That's as smooth as molasses. I'm going to use that. :) - by kodah
Questions can be defined into a number of categories -
Questions about the the current situation - what's happening now or what's not happening now? Problem questions - questions to uncover problems that your product or service will solve -
Consequences Questions - what are the consequences if you don't solve the problem, How will this effect you ? Who else does it effect?

How valuable would it be to solve the problem?
What conditions need to exist for us to be able to do business?

Using this form of questioning will uncover needs, explore the pain and place you in a position to offer your solution

Colly Graham
"moving your sales to a new level" - by colly
  • Questions about the the current situation - what's happening now or what's not happening now?
  • Problem questions - questions to uncover problems that your product or service will solve
  • Consequences Questions - what are the consequences if you don't solve the problem, How will this effect you ? Who else does it effect?
Thank you Collie. Any others I should know about? - by kodah
Kodah here are the questions from the SPIN selling model:

S = Situation Questions
P = Problem Questions
I = Implication Questions
N = Need-Payoff Questions

If you haven't already read the book it's definately worth the read in my opinion. :) - by Agent Smith
I guess it's time to do some more reading. :( :) - by kodah
If you like to read or have time another good book is the Sales Person Hand Book. This is a great read alot of great info - by b_miller
If you like to read or have time another good book is the Sales Person Hand Book. This is a great read alot of great info
I haven't heard of that book before. Who is the author? - by kodah
Examples of the information you would want to know include:
  • etc., etc.
Did that answer your question?
What else would fall under etc., etc.? - by Thomas
What else would fall under etc., etc.?
Expectations, agenda, conditions of sale/ terms, perceived challenges, perceived importance, perceived value, size of decision, contingencies, downside risk... to name a few more. :) - by Agent Smith
John MaxWell - by b_miller
John MaxWell
I looked on Amazon but didn't find it. :( - by kodah
I looked on Amazon but didn't find it. :(
I didn't find it either. Can you provide a link? - by Milton
Expectations, agenda, conditions of sale/ terms, perceived challenges, perceived importance, perceived value, size of decision, contingencies, downside risk... to name a few more.
Cool. Thank you for the help. :thu - by Thomas
Try a lot of open ended questions to get the prospect talking. Use 'desrcibe' 'share' 'tell'....words like that. The more they talk the more nedds you will uncover. Needs lead to solutions. Hopefully, your product/service is the solution.

Susan - by susana
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.