Home > Cold Calling > I am not trying to sell anything

I am not trying to sell anything

I just came from a business website where they were talking about salespeople opening a cold call with, "I am not trying to sell anything." Does anyone here use this as an opener with any success? - by Iceman
I've received calls like this but no i would never open a call saying that. ;pi - by haggler236
I'm no expert, but it seem to me that as soon as you say that,the person on the other end is now certain that you are trying to sell them something. I've had these calls before, and they are an affront to my intelligence. If a complete stranger calls me out of the blue and protests that he/she "is not trying to sell me anything" when it is obvious that they are, I terminate the call immdiately. They've already lied once.They'll do it again. - by jrdickens
I'm no expert, but it seem to me that as soon as you say that,the person on the other end is now certain that you are trying to sell them something.
Exactly!

I've had these calls before, and they are an affront to my intelligence. If a complete stranger calls me out of the blue and protests that he/she "is not trying to sell me anything" when it is obvious that they are, I terminate the call immdiately. They've already lied once.They'll do it again.
Exactly! - by Jolly Roger
I can't remember a time where the person who said this wasn't lying. :( - by Agent Smith
I can't remember a time where the person who said this wasn't lying. :(
Ooh, so cynical. :) - by Iceman
Is anyone really using or teaching that as an opener? - by Milton
Is anyone really using or teaching that as an opener?
I have not read or heard about this being taught anywhere. If it's meant to be disarming I think it fails miserably. :( - by Houston
That reminds of me of when sales people say "now I'm being honest". This immediately implies that up until now they haven't been honest. Anyone who says these sorts of things is sabotaging their own attempts to sell. Sure they may still make a sale, but it's just another hurdle in the way and will most likely result in a face plant.. ;st - by klorpet
I just came from a business website where they were talking about salespeople opening a cold call with, "I am not trying to sell anything." Does anyone here use this as an opener with any success?
I use to get calls like that all the time, and it seemed like most of the time they were not trying to sell anything, but get a donation. I found that annoying. - by crassus
I am annoyed by any kind of telephone call, as I do not speak on the phone anytime I can avoid it!

Unless it's a personal call, or a survey, it's a sales call. - by Eerie
Wow, glad to hear that I'm not the only person who doesn't like phone calls! As for the sales lines being discussed, both "I'm not trying to sell anything" and "Now I'm being honest" would make me very nervous. The first one especially... why are you contacting me if you're not trying to sell anything? You're my long lost relative? And "now I'm being honest" implies, like someone else said here, that there are times you consider NOT being honest... how would I know the difference? - by destiny
I am annoyed by any kind of telephone call, as I do not speak on the phone anytime I can avoid it!

Unless it's a personal call, or a survey, it's a sales call.
Yeah, I do not even have a phone anymore. I hardly ever used it when I had one before, and mostly I just got calls from annoying telemarketers. Combine that with the price that Bellsouth charges now--outrageous. I got rid of my phone, and the money I save now I use to get cable internet. I do have a cell phone that I use once in a while, but I rarely give out my number. - by crassus
We went a few months without a phone, after Katrina, and only used cell phones, but with two kids and a husband, it seemed like we were always missing each other, or someone's phone was dead.

We spend a fortune on our phone bills. 3 cell phones on a family plan - plus a regular phone that my husband uses to call Yugoslavia (thank goodness for phone cards - any International call is almost free with phone cards!), and our DSL.

One of us needs a separate job just for phones. - by Eerie
I'm on the "Do Not Call List" for telemarketers, so I don't get these kind of calls. What are they trying to do, if not sell you something. Just curious.

Susan - by susana
Beats me. I always hang up.

The few times I didn't hang up immediately, I regretted it.

I mean, bigtime. - by Eerie
I'm on the state and national "no call list" too... I'm here to announce that it doesn't always work. :hu It cuts them down dramatically but some of those calls still get through. - by destiny
I'm on the state and national "no call list" too... I'm here to announce that it doesn't always work. :hu It cuts them down dramatically but some of those calls still get through.
What kind of a dirt ball knowingly calls someone on the do not call list? - by fred
The previous posters said it all! Hard to believe someone when they start off with a lie.

We also no longer have a home phone for this very reason. The only calls were from telemarketers.

We have joined the growing number of people who use only our mobile phones. - by SyncCell
I just came from a business website where they were talking about salespeople opening a cold call with, "I am not trying to sell anything." Does anyone here use this as an opener with any success?
So what are you doing there? erm;

I always use the phrase "this is a sales call" when I speak to prospects. Its much better to be honest and respect their intelligence. - by Julian
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.