Home > Social Influence > Rapport: Establishing trust and respect

Rapport: Establishing trust and respect

If you want to establish trust and respect with someone building and maintaning rapport will help. Here's a few ideas for building rapport with people:
  1. Become genuinely interested in the other person.
  2. Look for common ground.
  3. Active listening.
  4. Match communication styles.
  5. Treat them with trust and respect.
Feel free to add a few of your own. :) - by Milton
If you want to establish trust and respect with someone building and maintaning rapport will help. Here's a few ideas for building rapport with people:
  1. Become genuinely interested in the other person.
  2. Look for common ground.
  3. Active listening.
  4. Match communication styles.
  5. Treat them with trust and respect.
Well done Milton. ;co - by MagicMan
Well done Milton. ;co
Indeed. ;)

So I take it Milton you wouldn't subscribe to the idea that...
"Building rapport doesn't establish trust and respect, it diminishes trust and respect."
- by SalesGuy
Let me think about it... ummmmmmmmmmmmm... NO! ;bg - by Milton
Let me think about it... ummmmmmmmmmmmm... NO!
Yeah, I didn't think so. ;bg

I like the ideas on your list. They could benefit from a brief explanation. I also think you could add "Open and Honest Communication" to the list. ;) - by SalesGuy
I like the ideas on your list. They could benefit from a brief explanation. I also think you could add "Open and Honest Communication" to the list. ;)
You are right. I will start new threads for each of the ideas including "Open and Honest Communication". - by Milton
You are right. I will start new threads for each of the ideas including "Open and Honest Communication".
Here are the new threads:

Idea #1: Genuine Interest
Idea #2: Common Ground
Idea #3: Active Listening
Idea #4: Communication Styles
Idea #5: Trust and Respect
Idea #6: Open and Honest Communication

Does anyone have additional ideas for building or maintaining rapport? - by Milton
Indeed. ;)

You had this as a quote sans author, and context, in your post:

"Building rapport doesn't establish trust and respect, it diminishes trust and respect."

I searched it on this forum and found no trace of it. Then I searched Google and found it was a 12 word excerpt from an article written by Jacques Werth, author of High Probability Selling, who also is a member here.

If anyone would like to read the entire article with the benefits of the context of the quote, and the author's explanation, they can find it at:

http://www.salesvault.com/artman/publish/article_185.shtml

I think that many will still disagree with the article because it is contrarian to conventional beliefs about selling, but at least readers can choose their own twelve words...or more... to support either their bias or reasoning. - by Gary Boye
You had this as a quote sans author, and context, in your post: "Building rapport doesn't establish trust and respect, it diminishes trust and respect."
It's true, the quote was sans author and context. In this case neither was necessary as Milton and I had previously exchanged PMs on the subject. ;wi

I searched it on this forum and found no trace of it. Then I searched Google and found it was a 12 word excerpt from an article written by Jacques Werth, author of High Probability Selling, who also is a member here.
Wow, I'm flattered. It's not everyday someone gives away so much of their time researching my quotes. :bl - by SalesGuy
Milton, I noticed you didn't mention "Pacing" or "Mirroring" (NLP). Was that on purpose? - by Agent Smith
Milton, I noticed you didn't mention "Pacing" or "Mirroring" (NLP). Was that on purpose?
In my world of communication pacing and mirroring has a place. However, I purposely didn't mention pacing or mirroring because I know some people take issue with these types of skills. I might add them to the individual threads on rapport ideas though.;wi - by Milton
In my world of communication pacing and mirroring has a place. However, I purposely didn't mention pacing or mirroring because I know some people take issue with these types of skills. I might add them to the individual threads on rapport ideas though.;wi
That's probabably a good idea. ;bg - by Agent Smith
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.