Home > Social Influence > Rapport Idea #1: Genuine Interest

Rapport Idea #1: Genuine Interest

Idea #1 for building and maintaining rapport;
  • Become genuinely interested in the other person.
Q1): What does that mean to you?
Q2): Do you think that this will help to build/strengthen rapport? - by Milton
Yes, this can help. When you become genuinely intersted in the other person it comes across in everything from what you say to how you say it. - by Houston
:sl Any other opinions? - by Milton
Become genuinely interested in the other person means don't fake it. Ask questions of them that you really do want to know the answers to. - by Iceman
I agree with Iceman, if it's faked, people know it. In fact... well, I'll go a step further. I'm under the impression that if a salesperson, no matter how great or lousy the product is, comes to me for a sale, there's no reason on earth they'd *have* a genuine interest in me. So frankly if this would happen, I'd feel that it *is* fake and it wouldn't impress me as much as some other approaches may.

- Des ;co - by destiny
I'm under the impression that if a salesperson, no matter how great or lousy the product is, comes to me for a sale, there's no reason on earth they'd *have* a genuine interest in me. So frankly if this would happen, I'd feel that it *is* fake and it wouldn't impress me as much as some other approaches may.
Destiny, let's suppose I sell vacuum cleaners and one day I show up at your doorstep. As it turns out you happen to be in the market for just such an item so you invite me in. After a short period of time we really hit it off and I take a genuine interest in you as a person. In this scenario would you still feel my interest was "fake"? - by SalesGuy
Fair question, SalesGuy... and for the answer, I'm afraid I'm not real good with trusting people. (Which makes this a personal opinion and not an overall observance) For *me* I would prefer either buying the vacuum cleaner and closing the sale, *OR* making it real clear that I just bought one and don't need it before whatever that "interest" was happens to come into play. If you admire my inground pool or know my dad or want to know where I get my hair done ;bg I'd personally prefer having those things come up after the sale is made or rejected. Otherwise that trust thing comes into play and you probably won't have a sale.

That doesn't mean you need to be sullen without any smiles or kindness. It's just that too many people *do* fake genuine interest that it's hard for a customer to tell if you're the real deal.

- Des - by destiny
Great Question Milton,
Of course you need to have a genuine interest IMO.

This means to make the customer feel as though you are caring about their needs not focusing on what you are going to get out of it, IME - the customers that I have built a genuine rapport with have been someone who I have displayed a winning attitude too and shown that I genuinly care. - by Snowboy
Good post.

It means empathetic listening to me: Listening with
care and concern to try to put others needs ahead
of my own. - by MaxReferrals
Good post.

It means empathetic listening to me: Listening with
care and concern to try to put others needs ahead
of my own.
Cheers for that. - by Snowboy
I voted Yes - As it looks just about everyone else did - Of course it makes sence to show genuine interest. - by John Hughes
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.