Home > Social Influence > Rapport Idea #2: Common Ground

Rapport Idea #2: Common Ground

Idea #2 for building and maintaining rapport;
  • Look for common ground.
Q1): What does that mean to you?
Q2): Do you think this will help to build/strengthen rapport? - by Milton
Q1): What does that mean to you?
I think that "familiarity" and "self-interest" are the keys behind "common ground".

I will try to illustrate. As a business owner salespeople approach me with regularity. In my office behind my desk is a giant map of the planet. While I frequently enjoy travel, I am not interested in swapping travel stories with unknown salespeople. Especially at work. It actually bothers me. As a result my being bothered these salespeople are likely to have a shorter sales call than they might have wanted.

On the other hand, if it turned out that the salesperson and I shared similar views about mortgage lenders (and how they are doing America a huge disservice by provided credit to the unworthy-don't get me started :)) then because of this interaction on common ground I'd most likely be more open (less defensive) to what the salesperson had to say.

Q2): Do you think this will help to build/strengthen rapport?
It can, depending on the specific item of common ground. - by Agent Smith
I agree, depending on the common interest this can help. - by Houston
:sl Any other opinions? - by Milton
I think that "familiarity" and "self-interest" are the keys behind "common ground".

On the other hand, if it turned out that the salesperson and I shared similar views about mortgage lenders (and how they are doing America a huge disservice by provided credit to the unworthy-don't get me started :)) then because of this interaction on common ground I'd most likely be more open (less defensive) to what the salesperson had to say.

It can, depending on the specific item of common ground.

What you are talking about is finding a common enemy, a great tactic for building rapport.:thu

And as someone who does broker loans. I really don't feel the problem is the fault of the mortgage lender but more the fault of the individual who did not keep his end of the deal in repayment of the loan.

Or maybe America (IE the Govt.) should make it harder for people to be mortgage lenders, and for that matter Realtors, since the govt. is making it harder to be a finacial advisor. I think since the Real Estate Industry including both mortgage and real estate is such an integral part of our countries economy they need to require those in the industry and those who want to get into the industry have a 4 year degree from an accredited college and american citizenship. No it wont guarantee that they are more ethical but it will defiantly weed out more of the less than ethical who don't bother getting at least an undergraduate degree. But that is just my 2 cents. - by Jorel
Common ground can speed up the rapport building process. I donít believe that its critical though, IMO being tuned in to the customers problems and handling the early interaction in a professional manner builds respect and rapport.

Iím so busy that I often havenít got time to let a sales person find any common ground and when they try too hard it actually goes against them for wasting my time. Also keep in mind that Iím a sales person, I train sales people and I love sales people, so if thatís how I feel, how do none sales type customers feel? - by Tony Dunne
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.