Home > Cold Calling > Please Review My Intro

Please Review My Intro

I sell packaging machinery for tablets, powders and liquids. I am currently going off of a database of contacts that requested information from a trade show. Upon calling them up I start off with this;

Hello__________my name is Jonathan and I am calling with Phoenix Engieering. We spoke to you at the WestPack Show in '05 concerning our packaging machinery(if there is more info in the database I will be more specific about what type of product they are working with or what type of machine they were interested in). I was just following up to see if you are still in the market for packaging machinery................(wating for customer to beg me to sell him a machine)

I would appreciate any constructive critisism. Thankyou. - by jonnyw82
I sell packaging machinery for tablets, powders and liquids. I am currently going off of a database of contacts that requested information from a trade show. Upon calling them up I start off with this;

Hello__________my name is Jonathan and I am calling with Phoenix Engieering. We spoke to you at the WestPack Show in '05 concerning our packaging machinery(if there is more info in the database I will be more specific about what type of product they are working with or what type of machine they were interested in). I was just following up to see if you are still in the market for packaging machinery................(wating for customer to beg me to sell him a machine)

I would appreciate any constructive critisism. Thankyou.
What happened to the information they requested at the trade show? Was that request fulfilled? Or is the actual purpose of your call to furnish that information? If so, state that to the prospect such as "I'm calling because you have requested....."

I believe that all selling contacts to a prospect after the initial one (the first in this case was at the trade show) should be for one of two reasons. It should either be promise-generated which means the call is to fulfill a promise such as providing futher information--or--should be for the purpose of making a free standing offer.

"Following up to see if you are still in the market for packaging machinery" would not fit either category in my system unless such a promise was made at the initial meeting.

The stronger the purpose of a call in terms of mutual interests--the stronger the call. - by Gary Boye
I would appreciate any constructive critisism. Thank you.
My suggestion for all calls of any type (follow-up, prospecting, etc.) is to first establish for yourself an agenda. What is the purpose of your call? How will you determine if the call was a success?

I agree with Gary that this type of follow up call should be to fulfill a promise of further information or to make a free standing offer. Here is an example of each to play with:
  • This is Jonathan (Last Name) with Phoenix Engineering. I met you at the WestPack Show in '05. We sell packaging machinery for tablets, powders and liquids. I'm calling with the information you requested about...
  • This is Jonathan (Last Name) with Phoenix Engineering. I met you at the WestPack Show in '05. We sell packaging machinery for tablets, powders and liquids with line speeds to 100 feet per minute and stainless steel machine frames. Is this type of packaging machinery something you want?
- by BossMan
My suggestion for all calls of any type (follow-up, prospecting, etc.) is to first establish for yourself an agenda. What is the purpose of your call? How will you determine if the call was a success?

I agree with Gary that this type of follow up call should be to fulfill a promise of further information or to make a free standing offer. Here is an example of each to play with:
  • This is Jonathan (Last Name) with Phoenix Engineering. I met you at the WestPack Show in '05. We sell packaging machinery for tablets, powders and liquids. I'm calling with the information you requested about...
  • This is Jonathan (Last Name) with Phoenix Engineering. I met you at the WestPack Show in '05. We sell packaging machinery for tablets, powders and liquids with line speeds to 100 feet per minute and stainless steel machine frames. Is this type of packaging machinery something you want?
Yes. Bossman's examples are excellent. I think those models can put you on the fast track. - by Gary Boye
Jonathan, what kind of success rate are you having with your current script? How comfortable would you be using either of the scripts Bossman posted? - by Agent Smith
Johnny82. A few suggestions:

1. Hello Mr Prospect, I heard a trade rumour your firm was considering renewing some of its packaging machinery, my name is Jonathan and I am calling you from Phoenix Engineering. You may recall we spoke to you at the WestPack Show in '05 concerning [scrub this]>[xxxxour packaging machineryxxxx] [USE THIS] >YOUR PLANS FOR THE NEXT 12 MONTHS. Now shut up, stop speaking, if my suggestion is correct your going to get the lowdown on what packaging equipment plans they are assembling.

At some stage he might say "How did you hear about us [ meaning the rumour] tell him you've got your ear to the ground, have contacts and "You'll be glad to call in to discuss it with him.
The odds are highly favourable that they are contemplating new equipment. This guy will say thats some firm, they seem so wellorganised, why they even knew what we were upto. - by Incidentally
I think Incidentally's approach is excellent. It makes the call highly relevant to the prospect rather than "just another sales call".

The only suggestion I would make would be to name drop somewhere in your opening statement if you can, to get your prospect more interested.

"Hi Jim, this is John Smith of Phoenix Engineering. We met at the WestPack Show in '05. I wanted to touch base because we've been working closely with <competitor firm>, saving them over $1m in packaging costs, and I heard on the grapevine that you're considering renewing some of your packaging machinery."

Incidentally hit the nail on the head when advising you to keep quiet after your intro.

This is always difficult to do, especially if there's an uncomfortable silence, but well worth it, as it WILL get the prospect talking and therefore give you an opportunity to engage in some dialogue.

Good luck

Mike - by Mike_CCP
Thanks Mike CCP, lets study this opening introduction further:

Whats the biggest MISTAKE we are all trained to make and make daily, its to use words and phrases that SOUND AS IF THEY HAVE BEEN written for us by other people, so lets underline Mikes post and look at the SALES WORDS and phrases that only sales people use and cut them out, sales words that tell the prospect that we are seeking to sell something and grab a commission. Bear in mind buyers get approached almost hourly from reps wanting to sell them 1001 items such as wrapping paper, electric wire, plywood, floorcovering and waste removal services etc. So how do you stand out from the crowd?

Here's Mikes post, lets look at it in detail: "Hi Jim, this is John Smith of Phoenix Engineering. We met at the WestPack Show in '05. I wanted to touch base because we've been working closely with <competitor firm>, saving them over $1m in packaging costs, and I heard on the grapevine that you're considering renewing some of your packaging machinery." I've underlined the sales words which get peoples backs up.

Now lets look at the alternatives:

Mr Smith I'm in your area next week and want to call in and discuss your plans with you for packaging equipment, whilst I'm there will you show me the Developo HK machine we discussed at the WestPack Show, you didn't seem very happy with this machine and you may recall you thought we might have the answer with our new Expresso Swizzlestick Process. Let me call in and could you have someone explain to me please what IT IS YOU want, what the current problems are, and what it is YOU are trying to do? [Note; not one sales word is spoken in this example]

If you analyse this you are having a one-to-one conversation as equals. The buyer more often than not knows the difference between a phony, someone on the make, or a genuine person who see's sales as an opportunity to be obliging, helpful and WHO ACTS sensibly in a mature manner. Reps need to realise that buyers will not be pushed and the buyers packaging machinary knowledge in many cases will exceed the rep/s own knowledge, and this is the reps who's hoping to sell him something. This example can be used for a 101 sales situations, adapt it if you will. - by Incidentally
TRADE SHOWS:

Further to the above, you must collect stand visitors grudges, gripes, complaints and wishes for a better packaging Machinary World, then hit the switchobard receptionist [who fields the buyers calls to save sales reps bothering him[ with it. You hit her with:

1. Mr Smith asked me to contact him about the breakdowns he's had with YOUR Developo HK machine, [this sounds fairly urgent - and just can't be another damn sales call] [it is] Will you put me through to him.

THIS IS SALES, AND HOW GOOD SALES REPS WORK. IT'S A GAME OF CHESS. - by Incidentally
Thank you Incidentally for the detailed analysis, some useful stuff in there.

You are definitely right when you say it's a mistake to use words and phrases that sound as if they have been written for you.

Jonnyw82, whatever approach you decide to take, and whatever opening you use when cold calling, it has to come naturally to YOU. If it doesn't, then you'll stumble over your words and you'll come across as insincere.

The Jim/Mr Smith thing is a cultural issue - in some cultures, using someone's surname immediately puts them on their guard whereas in others (e.g. continental Europe), you would never call someone by their first name on a cold call. Selling financial technology to investment bankers in London & NY, I've always used first names, but I'd never use them when calling into Frankfurt for example.

Best advice would be to look through the posts here and pick out what you think will work for you, but keep it relevant to the individual you're calling rather than generic. Use it, modify it, adapt it & make it your own.

Mike - by Mike_CCP
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.