Home > Personal Selling > Sales advice for a Financial Consultant

Sales advice for a Financial Consultant

Hi

I've recently started my new job as a Relationship Manager in a Bank. My job is to basically foster good relationships witht the client and sell them investment products.

I'm being given a portfolio to manage. These are the customers whose accounts are under my care. Its not a huge portfolio so i have to further grow it.

I dont wana be a financial advisor who simply shoves investment prdts to my customers. I take it onto myself to manage n grow my customers wealth.

As much as i would like to look after my customers financial interests, i have to safe guard mine as well. I have a monthly target to hit or my manager is gona start breathing down my neck.

How do i go about gaining my customers trust?

What form of sales techniques work best for such a profession?

Thanks - by coldshot
Consultative selling has been around a long time. It's all about being a resource to your customer--not just someone trying to sell them something. You have to think of relationships for the long term. The customer is always thinking, 'What is this guy going to do for me?'. Develop a plan which makes you a resource for them. It may not help in the short term w/ monthly numbers, but if you plan to stay in the territory a while, there will be many benefits down the line.

Susan - by susana
How do i go about gaining my customers trust?
What are you doing now to gain your customer's trust? - by Houston
What are you doing now to gain your customer's trust?
These customers are hearing from me for the first time since im taking over someone elses accounts.

I got about 150 customers to maintain and sell to.

Wht im trying to do now is to call them all up and arrange to meet up to meet up and formally introduce myself and build some rapport.

But somehow the majority of responses im getting arent very good.

Its usually they are busy for the coming weeks, or to email them my contacts or dont call me i'll call you.

Any ideas as to how to secure the first appt?

I think they are afriad im tryig to shove products down their throats. - by coldshot
have you considered putting on a free seminar and inviting all your current customers? My broker did this a few months ago, and he got a decent turnout. Good way to meet people in a non threatening envirinment.

Susan - by susana
Any ideas as to how to secure the first appt?

I think they are afriad im tryig to shove products down their throats.
It looks like the previous customer is giving you the same consideration that he/she gives any other salesperson. I would suggest selling the appointment like you would to any other prospect. Let the previous relationship work for you once your in the door. - by WobblyBox
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.