Home > Marketing > Pricing - lower then they intended

Pricing - lower then they intended

What is it called when a customer intends to pay one price for something and the sales person gives it to them at a lower price? Example:

The customer wants to purchase:

1 of X at 29.99

2 of Y at 19.99

1 of A at 39.99

2 of C at 9.99

1 of B at 15.99

Seller offers:

D at 19.99

E at 9.99

Customer accepts:

E at 9.99

Seller then says “Mr. or Mrs. Customer since you are such a great customer I will give you B at only 9.99.”

I know this is used in sales somehow, often times when buying things over the phone. I think it is a good way to keep customers coming back and a way to get them to recruit new customers. By offering to reduce the price of something without them asking it makes the customer feel as if the sales person is on their side. That is just my opinion. I would love to hear what more experienced sales people feel about this tactic.

Thanks. - by brewmaster182
What is it called when a customer intends to pay one price for something and the sales person gives it to them at a lower price? Example:
Thanks.
I have had that happen to me at least twice, both times with the purchase of sound equipment. Once was in a retail store. The other time was via phone after I found a source on the web. In both cases these sellers were new to me. And in both cases I was impressed and felt a sense of loyalty. - by Gary Boye
I would call that a "Loyal Customer Discount". For customer retention this can work wonders. :thu - by saltydog
I would call that a "Loyal Customer Discount".
I'll second that.

As long as the customer doesn't "expect" this, for instance by overuse, I think it could be very helpful. - by Agent Smith
What is it called when a customer intends to pay one price for something and the sales person gives it to them at a lower price?
A bargain? ;bg - by saltydog
Bulk discount?

I agree, great way to build customer loyalty and to engender one of the most powerful forms of marketing - word of mouth. - by klorpet
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.