Home > Personal Selling > Only work with people you like!

Only work with people you like!

Today an experienced real estate agent who I look up to gave me a tip. The tip was, "only work with people you like". We were talking about how to build a network or sphere of influence.

I think she is right because sometimes the people we deal with really get under my skin and I wonder why I do this for a living.

I definately would not associate with most of these people outside of work if it makes a difference. Does it make a difference?

Also, the more I think about it the more it bothers me. My wife says I'm being negative but is it just me?

What is the general rule? Do you work with everyone or just the ones you want to work with? - by Thomas
We were talking about how to build a network or sphere of influence.
You would be well advised to "Surround Yourself with the Best". ;)

I think she is right because sometimes the people we deal with really get under my skin and I wonder why I do this for a living.

I definately would not associate with most of these people outside of work if it makes a difference. Does it make a difference?

Also, the more I think about it the more it bothers me. My wife says I'm being negative but is it just me?
How you feel about your industry, employer, product/service, and/or clientele makes all the difference in the world. - by SalesGuy

What is the general rule? Do you work with everyone or just the ones you want to work with?
Thomas, are you taliking about clients, prospects, associates, or coworkers? I couldn't decipher.

I think it very important that you listen to your feelings on this. - by Gary Boye
Thomas, are you taliking about clients, prospects, associates, or coworkers? I couldn't decipher.

I think it very important that you listen to your feelings on this.
I read my post and it wasn't very clear. Sorry. I was talking about customers and prospects. I'm feeling better about it today. Some days are better than others. ;sm - by Thomas
What is the general rule? Do you work with everyone or just the ones you want to work with?
There is no general rule. But it's my belief that sound advice would be to just work with the ones you want to work with.

Michael Port in Book Yourself Solid calls it a Velvet Rope and it is a rule in his system. I highly recommend the book. - by Gary Boye
There is no general rule. But it's my belief that sound advice would be to just work with the ones you want to work with.
It's unanimous! ;bg

Michael Port in Book Yourself Solid calls it a Velvet Rope and it is a rule in his system. I highly recommend the book.
I ordered the book. Thanks Gary. ;co - by Thomas
Only work with people you like? ;bl

Unless you're good at generating leads this might be wishfull thinking. - by Frankie

Unless you're good at generating leads this might be wishfull thinking.
If you generate your own leads, and enough of them, then this sounds reasonable. If the company provided the leads then you would be wasting the company's money. - by Houston

Unless you're good at generating leads this might be wishfull thinking.
If you generate your own leads, and enough of them, then this sounds reasonable. If the company provided the leads then you would be wasting the company's money.
Thanks for the feedback guys. ;sm - by Thomas
If you generate your own leads, and enough of them, then this sounds reasonable. If the company provided the leads then you would be wasting the company's money.
I like this idea. Do what you want with your own time and money but don't waste company leads. - by haggler236
I like this idea. Do what you want with your own time and money but don't waste company leads.
It's unanimous. ;bg - by Thomas
Personally I don't limit my prospects in this way, I'll do business with people I like or dislike alike (pardon the pun).

However owning my own company, I have made it a point to surround myself with people that I both respect and enjoy spending time with. Not only does it foster a positive environment (which people notice and react too) but we spend such a large percentage of our lives working to waste it on people we don't like or respect. - by klorpet
Personally I don't limit my prospects in this way, I'll do business with people I like or dislike alike (pardon the pun).

However owning my own company, I have made it a point to surround myself with people that I both respect and enjoy spending time with. Not only does it foster a positive environment (which people notice and react too) but we spend such a large percentage of our lives working to waste it on people we don't like or respect.
Well said klorpet. ;co - by SalesGuy
Only work with people you like? ;om Oh my!

This wouldn't work too well for me since a large percentage of the population has a tendency to get on my nerves. ;bg - by WobblyBox
I agree about working with people that you like. You will feel more enthusiastic and willing to come to work everyday. - by khunvi
Well I may be naive here, but it seems to me that if you're going to be successful you're going to work with people you like - colleagues, prospects or bosses. I can't imagine being successful selling to folks you just don't like.

On a related matter, a former boss (whom I'm quite fond of) once said that "I'm too old to work with a*****s anymore." Being of "a certain age," I couldn't agree more.

--Scott - by Dixon Hill
I like this idea. Do what you want with your own time and money but don't waste company leads.
I can agree with this. All the more reason for a sales person to take control of his/her career and generate his/her own leads. ;wi - by Agent Smith
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.