Home > Approach > Bad Approach

Bad Approach

I was in a public transportation when someone who was sitting beside me asked me a personal question, that is, what I do and my earning capacity. I didn't want to be impolite so I answered his questions. He was very pleasant, actually. But then, the more I indulged him, he started giving me brochures about his business proposal and how I would earn by referrals. I was actually sleepy and would have preferred a nap, but he kept on talking. When he was nearing his stop, he gave me his contact number. As if I would have given him a call! - by clarise
Yeah, I would say that qualifies as a bad approach. - by Agent Smith
How did he know, though, that your desire was to rest if you did not tell him. I would have saved the person the trouble and just said no, and that it is time to rest. - by crassus
I was in a public transportation when someone who was sitting beside me asked me a personal question, that is, what I do and my earning capacity. I didn't want to be impolite so I answered his questions. He was very pleasant, actually. But then, the more I indulged him, he started giving me brochures about his business proposal and how I would earn by referrals.
What a tough way to make a living. :yi - by fred
Mary Kay reps are notorious for this approach, callinng it "warm conversation." A woman will act friendly and chat with you in line or at a store...and eventually invite you to buy her stuff. - by Bettina
I don't agree with that type of approach. How can you tell what a person needs or even if they are looking for something different in their life by jumping in and giving a huge diatribe about your product or service?? This really burns me.

I think the best way to approach someone is to simply as non-intrusive questions. Get them to talk about themselves. This is the only true way to really find out HOW you are going to prospect them. - by wlctrent
How can you tell what a person needs or even if they are looking for something different in their life by jumping in and giving a huge diatribe about your product or service??
You can't. That's just pushing product. :( - by Agent Smith
I was in a public transportation when someone who was sitting beside me asked me a personal question, that is, what I do and my earning capacity. I didn't want to be impolite so I answered his questions. He was very pleasant, actually. But then, the more I indulged him, he started giving me brochures about his business proposal and how I would earn by referrals. I was actually sleepy and would have preferred a nap, but he kept on talking. When he was nearing his stop, he gave me his contact number. As if I would have given him a call!
That is not good practice! - by Ed McLean
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.