Home > Customer Service > How bad a sales rep . . .

How bad a sales rep . . .

Have you ever been driven away from something you really wanted because the sales rep. was just so rude? - by crassus
Actually yes. If it's very obvious that a script set in stone is being followed with no interest at all in what I have to say, I'm... hmmm, maybe I shouldn't admit this!! but I'm stubborn enough to buy elsewhere. Another big turn-off for me is being told that the product is something I "need" if the sales person doesn't know me. I'd like to be able to decide for myself whether I "need" the item or not. I guess it boils down to the real turn-off being someone trying too hard to the point of annoyance.

That said, since I've been reading this forum, I've seen some very good sales approaches that would definitely work with me. I've seen a few not so good, too, but isn't that why we're here?

- Des ;co - by destiny
Good luck to your comeback then to the world of online auction sales. - by matefork
Have you ever been driven away from something you really wanted because the sales rep. was just so rude?
My sister just emailed me that she had called Time Warner to add internet cable. They made her so mad, she is not odering internet cable and is out looking at direct tv.
How hard is it to sell somebody something they actually want? LOL

Susan - by susana
Good point... it's pretty bad when someone loses a sale to a customer who contacted *them* wanting to buy! My goodness, I hope that company knows what that salesperson did. Actually I'm the type who'd write and tell them. :-) - by destiny
It's no different when you go to a department store to buy something you really want and the saleslady would act arrogantly and that makes you mad. It happens to me a few if not several times. - by matefork
Maybe the problems arise because too many salespeople these days are 'scripted,' anything outside of this and they start to flounder and miss opportunities? - by Dolly
Sometimes, it would lead me to think if those ladies had their monthly periods. I remember someone telling me this a long time ago. - by matefork
Sometimes, it would lead me to think if those ladies had their monthly periods. I remember someone telling me this a long time ago.
What are you saying? :yi - by Frankie
...and doesn't this theory fall down a bit if you are actually talking about a saleman?

Matefork, you are in trouble here.
Hint - when you are in a hole, stop digging. - by Dolly
Step away from the shovel, mate, we have you surrounded. And I kind of like this forum, so that's all I'm going to say. That isn't real easy for me! :cr Oh, look at the pretty red smiley. - by destiny
Ok guys, ease up a little bit on me will you? I'm going to straighten this out coz everyone is ganging up on me if I continue not to talk.

By monthly period, what I mean is that during this time the one who has it is not in a good mood, that's why I reasoned that those salesladies were behaving annoyingly was because they had their monthly visits. - by matefork
We know what you meant.

Stop, stop, please stop;st

Thing is, Matefork. What ladies get annoyed about, is that every time they are grumpy, a man will pop up and use "that" excuse.

It is not usually true.

For example, men are grumpy and don't have 'monthly visits,' does this mean men shouldn't be grumpy at all - ever? - by Dolly
I think we all understood just fine.

I assume you're out there just selling to men? I can't imagine what kind of empathy you could ever develop with a woman in a power position. Without a little empathy, you'll never reach the top level of sales pros. - by susana
Ladies,

I would also think it would be difficult to reach the top without a sense of humor or irony either. Give the guy a break. It is entirely impossible for a male to have empathy for what females have to put up with on a monthly basis, just like there is no way for a female to have empathy for what a good swift kick to the family jewels feel like.

(Just trying to stick up for ya' mate!) - by jrdickens
Thanks pal. I really needed that. - by matefork
IMO we should just drop that portion of the conversation, obviously a bad choice of words in mixed company. I've actually had a salesman who was so insistant that we were friends and not on a customer/salesman level that I decided not to buy because he was so un-professional. - by RyanJ
Thanks pal. I really needed that.
What is a "matefork"? What kind of term is that. I've never heard it. - by Gary Boye
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.