Home > Resistance > "naw, I dont need anything now" how do you respond to that?

"naw, I dont need anything now" how do you respond to that?

Maybe someone can give me some advice on this, how to follow up on a quote. I been issuing out quotes to customers and calling them on the phone to follow up on it. Well the last customer I encountered, I called him on the phone to follow up on a quote I put on his desk and just asked him if he recieved my quote and he simply responded by saying "yeah, but I dont need anything right now." I then asked if the prices were in line with what he expected to pay for his supplies and he said he didn't know b/c he was still getting quotes from others. What would you do in this situation? #1, he tells me he doesn't need anything yet he still getting quotes from other suppliers. If someone tells you they don't need anything, how do you respond to that? I know that is not an honest answer b/c he wouldn't be getting quotes for it if he did not need it but it's not like I could have said "well, I know you need this stuff or you wouldn't have asked me for a quote, so what is the real reason you don't want to buy?" I mean, I guess that maybe allright for most people, I feel a little uncomfortable saying somethign that direct, anyone know what i'm talking about? What maybe another way of responding to try to uncover the real reason behind it? I just got baffled and didn't know how to respond when he told me that. - by halidon
Is it possible that he really doesn't need anything right now and is securing quotes for an upcoming project?

Does your RFQ ask for the project time frame? - by Agent Smith
perhaps, but I couldn't stop feeling bad about that call, felt like there was more I could have done besides just accept his answer. Has anyone felt that way? - by halidon
perhaps, but I couldn't stop feeling bad about that call, felt like there was more I could have done besides just accept his answer. Has anyone felt that way?
Was there any reason for not engaging the prospect in a sales dialogue? - by fred
Was there any reason for not engaging the prospect in a sales dialogue?
Well, that's what I posted here for, I didn't know how else to respond if someone says "I dont need anything right now,"....All I said was keep us in mind in the future then when it does come time to order more material. What else could I have said to the prospect to continue the sales cycle? - by halidon
Well, that's what I posted here for, I didn't know how else to respond if someone says "I dont need anything right now,"....All I said was keep us in mind in the future then when it does come time to order more material. What else could I have said to the prospect to continue the sales cycle?
If the customer truly does not need anything right now then that is that. You haven't mentioned anything about the status of your relationship with the customer. Do you have a good working relationship with the customer? - by fred
I have a question Halidon, how are these quotes requested? - by AZBroker
If the customer truly does not need anything right now then that is that. You haven't mentioned anything about the status of your relationship with the customer. Do you have a good working relationship with the customer?
Well, this is a customer who has bought a few peices of material here and there, no real big orders, just kind of as needed for particular projects. He never bought from a rep, just went to the local store and bought some items. The objective is to get him from buying bits and peices in the store to buying things in on a regular basis from me the rep. So this is a cold call, big time. That's pretty much all i do for this company, all I do is call on accounts like this. - by halidon
I have a question Halidon, how are these quotes requested?
Well, my first meeting with him was a set appointment and I basically went over a catelogue review for him. As he found items he used regularly, he pointed them out and told me to go ahead and quote him on those items. But I made the initial call to his office to set up the meeting, so it was not like he called in requesting a quote. - by halidon
I'm just wondering from everyone what would be a good approach to keep calling on this customer even thought the prospect has already told me they do not need materials right now. - by halidon
1. It seems you have not sufficiently engaged the prospect:
a) Understanding their purchasing decisioning factors (weightage of quality, pricing, relationship, etc...)
b) Samples may help if you can provide
c) Looks like your scope involves account development which then means you need to qualify your accounts/prospects into buckets. Then you may want to understand their budget (buying potential) so that you can prioritize your efforts.
d) You are right in that you may be sidelined against another preferred supplier. If you are confident that you can win on pricing, then just sit back and be patient. Otherwise, you may want to offer value adds with a limited time to respond.
e) Always put a time validity for your quotes. - by isollae
Well, my first meeting with him was a set appointment and I basically went over a catelogue review for him. As he found items he used regularly, he pointed them out and told me to go ahead and quote him on those items. But I made the initial call to his office to set up the meeting, so it was not like he called in requesting a quote.
It looks like the "quote" wasn't tied to any specific action steps or commitment. Does that make sense? - by AZBroker
It looks like the "quote" wasn't tied to any specific action steps or commitment. Does that make sense?
Ok, i should have asked him if the price was right, would he move ahead with a purchase. Thats something I always forget to say! - by halidon
Thats something I always forget to say!
It happens. ;wi - by AZBroker
You must be pretty new on the job. Most seasoned sales personnel would be very lucid in terms of the decisioning process. Remember to keep your eye on the ball and keep it in your court. - by isollae
You must be pretty new on the job.
In a previous thread Halidon mentioned that he was still in training. - by Agent Smith
Halidon,

Here's some other ideas...

I felt like there was more I could have done besides just accept his answer. Has anyone felt that way?
  • I'm sure we've all felt that way when we've run into a new situation, and I think it's great that you took the initiative to get some other input on ways to avoid the "I shoulda said something" blues
If someone tells you they don't need anything, how do you respond to that?
  • How about something like: Well, then I'm glad you have the quote now so you have some time to review it. And, I'd really like to touch base with you when you are going to be placing an order for these widgets - what's your timing for your next widget order? Around the second week in August? OK, I'll give you a call the first week in August to follow up.
The objective is to get him from buying bits and peices in the store to buying things in on a regular basis from me the rep.
  • This could give you a great opening. When he says he doesn't need anything now, you could say something like: Well, then I'm glad you have the quote now so you have some time to review it. And, I'm really looking forward to working with you on ordering these widgets. I know you're picking some things up in the store now, but I can provide much better service to you when you order direct, and it will save you time and [mention the benefits of working with you]. I'd appreciate the opportunity to prove myself. How about if I give you a call right before the next time you order, and if our price is competitive, I can show you the great service and quick turnaround we provide. What's your timing on your next widget order? etc etc
Hope that helps some. Keep thinking and finding better ways to handle new situations, and you'll turn into a great sales rep.

Kathleen - by KSA-Mktg
Never quote a job/project until the prospect is ready to buy. Asking small closing questions such as "how will it ship?", or "what sort of terms should I include?", or other minor closing questions will give you a clue as to it's reality. If it's a real project, try and be the last quote in - that avoids the "I'm still waiting for quotes" answer. Ask him "when do you need this quote?", and when he say's "Tuesday", say "Is there any possibility I can get it to you Wednesday?, I'd really like to verify a few minor details that may save you some money on this", or, "I want my specs reviewed by one of our technical guys to see if there's anything I can do creativly to save (money/time/labor/etc). This way, he cannot use the "I'm still waiting", because you had permission to miss the deadline. - by TommyMac5
Well, my first meeting with him was a set appointment and I basically went over a catelogue review for him. As he found items he used regularly, he pointed them out and told me to go ahead and quote him on those items. But I made the initial call to his office to set up the meeting, so it was not like he called in requesting a quote.
It doesn't seem like this was really a sales call. Him pointing out items that he uses doesn't really bring about much dialogue. Maybe instead you could have approached him with an opening like, "Do you mind if I ask a few qustions about your business?" It will get him talking. Maybe he has frustrations with different suppliers or a particlar product that he's had problems with. Until you know some of these things, you can't really sell him on your service.

Susan - by susana
It doesn't seem like this was really a sales call. Him pointing out items that he uses doesn't really bring about much dialogue. Maybe instead you could have approached him with an opening like, "Do you mind if I ask a few qustions about your business?" It will get him talking. Maybe he has frustrations with different suppliers or a particlar product that he's had problems with. Until you know some of these things, you can't really sell him on your service.

Susan
Good point. I failed to read the whole dialog. During the visit, you may have asked "why"... "why do you need these?, are your current parts failing?", "Does your current supplier charge too much?", "are you developing new product lines"?..

The last one is really important, even though it doesn't exactly follow the normal line of questioning. If you can get your foot in the door of the "new" product line if they have any, you may find it easier to be the "go-to" vendor for those parts, and pick up the balance of the business through your performace on new lines. - by TommyMac5
Maybe someone can give me some advice on this, how to follow up on a quote. I been issuing out quotes to customers and calling them on the phone to follow up on it. Well the last customer I encountered, I called him on the phone to follow up on a quote I put on his desk and just asked him if he recieved my quote and he simply responded by saying "yeah, but I dont need anything right now." I then asked if the prices were in line with what he expected to pay for his supplies and he said he didn't know b/c he was still getting quotes from others. What would you do in this situation? #1, he tells me he doesn't need anything yet he still getting quotes from other suppliers. If someone tells you they don't need anything, how do you respond to that? I know that is not an honest answer b/c he wouldn't be getting quotes for it if he did not need it but it's not like I could have said "well, I know you need this stuff or you wouldn't have asked me for a quote, so what is the real reason you don't want to buy?" I mean, I guess that maybe allright for most people, I feel a little uncomfortable saying somethign that direct, anyone know what i'm talking about? What maybe another way of responding to try to uncover the real reason behind it? I just got baffled and didn't know how to respond when he told me that.
Halidon
I've just read your post and I'm not sure whether this has been covered before. I'd be inclined to read into the response you got as meaning "I'm not ready to decide yet" and arrange to follow the prospect up at a time when he's likely to be in a position to buy. So I might say "I can see that you're not ready quite yet, and I can understand that you want to make sure you make the right decision, when would be a good time to re contact you - thursday or Friday? In the meantime if you have any questions please don't hesitate to call me" - by marky
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.