Home > Resistance > "naw, I dont need anything now" how do you respond to that?

"naw, I dont need anything now" how do you respond to that?

Maybe someone can give me some advice on this, how to follow up on a quote. I been issuing out quotes to customers and calling them on the phone to follow up on it. Well the last customer I encountered, I called him on the phone to follow up on a quote I put on his desk and just asked him if he recieved my quote and he simply responded by saying "yeah, but I dont need anything right now." I then asked if the prices were in line with what he expected to pay for his supplies and he said he didn't know b/c he was still getting quotes from others. What would you do in this situation? #1, he tells me he doesn't need anything yet he still getting quotes from other suppliers. If someone tells you they don't need anything, how do you respond to that? I know that is not an honest answer b/c he wouldn't be getting quotes for it if he did not need it but it's not like I could have said "well, I know you need this stuff or you wouldn't have asked me for a quote, so what is the real reason you don't want to buy?" I mean, I guess that maybe allright for most people, I feel a little uncomfortable saying somethign that direct, anyone know what i'm talking about? What maybe another way of responding to try to uncover the real reason behind it? I just got baffled and didn't know how to respond when he told me that. - by halidon
Is it possible that he really doesn't need anything right now and is securing quotes for an upcoming project?

Does your RFQ ask for the project time frame? - by Agent Smith
perhaps, but I couldn't stop feeling bad about that call, felt like there was more I could have done besides just accept his answer. Has anyone felt that way? - by halidon
perhaps, but I couldn't stop feeling bad about that call, felt like there was more I could have done besides just accept his answer. Has anyone felt that way?
Was there any reason for not engaging the prospect in a sales dialogue? - by fred
Was there any reason for not engaging the prospect in a sales dialogue?
Well, that's what I posted here for, I didn't know how else to respond if someone says "I dont need anything right now,"....All I said was keep us in mind in the future then when it does come time to order more material. What else could I have said to the prospect to continue the sales cycle? - by halidon
Well, that's what I posted here for, I didn't know how else to respond if someone says "I dont need anything right now,"....All I said was keep us in mind in the future then when it does come time to order more material. What else could I have said to the prospect to continue the sales cycle?
If the customer truly does not need anything right now then that is that. You haven't mentioned anything about the status of your relationship with the customer. Do you have a good working relationship with the customer? - by fred
I have a question Halidon, how are these quotes requested? - by AZBroker
If the customer truly does not need anything right now then that is that. You haven't mentioned anything about the status of your relationship with the customer. Do you have a good working relationship with the customer?
Well, this is a customer who has bought a few peices of material here and there, no real big orders, just kind of as needed for particular projects. He never bought from a rep, just went to the local store and bought some items. The objective is to get him from buying bits and peices in the store to buying things in on a regular basis from me the rep. So this is a cold call, big time. That's pretty much all i do for this company, all I do is call on accounts like this. - by halidon
I have a question Halidon, how are these quotes requested?
Well, my first meeting with him was a set appointment and I basically went over a catelogue review for him. As he found items he used regularly, he pointed them out and told me to go ahead and quote him on those items. But I made the initial call to his office to set up the meeting, so it was not like he called in requesting a quote. - by halidon
I'm just wondering from everyone what would be a good approach to keep calling on this customer even thought the prospect has already told me they do not need materials right now. - by halidon
1. It seems you have not sufficiently engaged the prospect:
a) Understanding their purchasing decisioning factors (weightage of quality, pricing, relationship, etc...)
b) Samples may help if you can provide
c) Looks like your scope involves account development which then means you need to qualify your accounts/prospects into buckets. Then you may want to understand their budget (buying potential) so that you can prioritize your efforts.
d) You are right in that you may be sidelined against another preferred supplier. If you are confident that you can win on pricing, then just sit back and be patient. Other