Home > Personal Selling > Should I give out free information?

Should I give out free information?

I just got a phone call from a seller who wanted me to tell her over the phone what her mobile home was worth. She then called back and asked me for the names of lenders who will finance mobile homes like hers. She didn't want to use our services at this time however.

I get calls like this where the customer doesn't want to give information they only want to get information. What would you do? Would you give out the information? - by Thomas
Thomas why wouldn't someone give out the information? - by Iceman
I would not give out any information over the phone unless the caller had already signed a seller employment agreement. - by AZBroker
I just got a phone call from a seller who wanted me to tell her over the phone what her mobile home was worth. She then called back and asked me for the names of lenders who will finance mobile homes like hers. She didn't want to use our services at this time however.

I get calls like this where the customer doesn't want to give information they only want to get information. What would you do? Would you give out the information?
No way, no how! These are the types of situations that David Sandler talked about. These people will pick your brains and leave you with nothing to show for it. ;ma - by Agent Smith
Thomas why wouldn't someone give out the information?
Telling someone what their home is worth without looking at it doesn't seem right. I know others do it but that doesn't mean anything.

Agent Smith I did feel like that lady was picking my brain. What did Sandler say about that? - by Thomas
I agree. You should only give information out to people who are serious about buying, or someone you feel is qualified.

It would be irresponsible for you to provide a quote as to a home's worth without seeing it first. If they won't take an appointment chances are they are not serious - by Colleen Francis
It would be irresponsible for you to provide a quote as to a home's worth without seeing it first.
I'd hope so. For all the salesperson knows the place could be in shambles. - by SpeedRacer
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.