Home > Marketing > How To Start?

How To Start?

I have always been a salesperson from the time I started counting. Could you imagine a grade 1 pupil selling candies inside the classroom. Well that's just what I did when I was in grade 1.

Anyway, I have something in my mind of which I couldn't make a concrete decision. I like to buy and sell marinated fish. I would buy a package, 3 fishes in a package, at the cost of 65 pesos then gonna travel those fishes 4 hours away from my home and would sell that 100 pesos per package. I live in the province and I would sell them into a major city of country, which is Manila. If I could sell 1000 packs in 1 trip, that would be 35,000 pesos which is already a salary of a manager for a month. So if I will do it every week, I will have 140,000 pesos a month. Anyway, 50 pesos is equivalent to only $1.

Now, my main problem is how will I start? I'm thinking that I should first work as an employee and save for a truck in order for me to have my own vehicle for transportation. The problem with that is it would be very late in my life to save for a truck. My second option is to start now with as little as 100 packs per week, that's 3,500 pesos a week or 14,000 a month, not bad for a beginner. But my problem is that 1 pack weighs nearly 1 kilo already, so that would be 80-90 kilos for just one travel. And travelling through public transportation is very tiresome.

Could anyone suggest what would be the best thing to do? Any other options on what to do is very much appreciated. - by encoder
Could anyone suggest what would be the best thing to do? Any other options on what to do is very much appreciated.
Who is your target market? Are you selling to individual consumers or merchants? If you're selling to merchants you can sell first and deliver later. - by SpeedRacer
Yeah, my target are the merchants. What do you mean I could sell them then deliver later? Will they buy a product which they haven't seen yet? I guess its ok if they will have a sample of my product then get an order from them. - by encoder
What do you mean I could sell them then deliver later? Will they buy a product which they haven't seen yet? I guess its ok if they will have a sample of my product then get an order from them.
Right, buy now deliver later. This would be a much easier sale once you've established a working relationship with the vendor. - by SpeedRacer
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.