Home > Advertising > Headline: Internet kills Yellow Pages

Headline: Internet kills Yellow Pages

Could this happen? Will the Internet be the beginning of the end for print Yellow Pages? - by SpeedRacer
Could this happen? Will the Internet be the beginning of the end for print Yellow Pages?
For many industries such as Real Estate I would say "Yes". For tradesmen like Plumbers I would say "No" or at least "Not Yet". - by AZBroker
The Internet forever changed Yellow Page advertising. Newspaper classifieds had better watch out too. ;wi - by Agent Smith
Having spent some time learning sales copywiting, I can tell you that many YP advertisers are now paying copywriters to write their YP ads. Response goes way up w/ a decent ad.
You're assuming that people over 50 run and do agoogle search when looking for a pizza place. Doesn't happen. YP is still where 80% of people go to quickly looks something up. The 80% figure came from someone I know who runs a program on how to write YP ads.

Susan - by susana
You're assuming that people over 50 run and do agoogle search when looking for a pizza place. Doesn't happen. YP is still where 80% of people go to quickly looks something up. The 80% figure came from someone I know who runs a program on how to write YP ads.

Susan
I agree that "Restaurants" are another example, like "Tradesmen", of businesses that people turn to the print Yellow Pages first. However, I wouldn't bet on it staying that way. - by AZBroker
I'm not an internet marketer (and claim no expertise in this area); however there is a switch starting to occur back to offline marketing. Does anybod y read all those auto responders anymore?

Susan - by susana
I'm not an internet marketer (and claim no expertise in this area); however there is a switch starting to occur back to offline marketing. Does anybod y read all those auto responders anymore?

Susan
I hadn't heard about the switch. Please tell me more. - by AZBroker
Dan Kennedy is advocating an incease in offline methods. Physical products have a much higher value to a customer than an ebook. Yanik Silver preaches physical products vs ebooks. You can charge a lot more because the product has a higher perceived value by the customer. Something you can hold in your hand has much more value than something you download. I have been investigating offline methods of customer follow up and have come across a greeting cad system where I can personalize the card w/ my cover--say the cover I've used on the CD and booklet. I believe a card like this has higher value when sent to a new customer than an email auto responder.
Would be curious what others think of this method.

Susan - by susana
Does anybody read all those auto responders anymore?
I would find it hard to believe that there is a switch starting to occur back to offline marketing.

Now the effectiveness of autoresponders may be waning but there is so much more to "Online" marketing than "autoresponders".

Thoughts? - by SalesGuy
'Switch' was not the right word. There's a lot of discussion about the validity of offline marketing. I believe it's not just auto respondes, but also hype laden sales copy. - by susana
IMO most "offline" marketing methods are still valid. ;) - by SalesGuy
I just think that we assume all people are the same.

I have no idea of the figures but would guess that the actual number of customers who don't even have internet access, never mind those that have it but don't use it, are extremely high.

Technology is not for everybody and by limiting your marketing base to it, you are reducing your potential customers substantially. - by Dolly
I just think that we assume all people are the same.
IMO, the smart marketer will know his audience and the most effective methods of reaching that audience. ;) - by SalesGuy
I wouldn't be suprised to see Yellow Pages having to retool to stay viable over the long haul. - by Jolly Roger
I wouldn't be suprised to see Yellow Pages having to retool to stay viable over the long haul.
Our Yellow Pages is already online. If the print version dies at least the concept won't. - by Mikey
It will be interesting, at least for me, to see what happens to print YP. One thing is for sure... change is in the air. - by SpeedRacer
Some people dont understand the concept of YP. Local, Local, and Local!

It will never die..... just re-invent itself.

Take a look at the company I work for: Superpages/Verizon Yellow Pages

Last week we signed an agreement with Yahoo, which is very similiar to the Google/AOL agreement. Print yellow pages will become more of a resource and less of a starting point for purchase decisions. Yet IYP has grown rapidly. Same concept as the newspaper industry. As the print yellow page business ads new content and ways of drawing in consumer usage it will sustain its business for the next 10 years. After that due to changes in web and pc technology who knows what will happen. Yet online directories take the same old YP concept and add more information to assist buyers in researching a service and local companies to do business with.

Competition, price gimmicks and games, and non-reputable sales reps and publishers is the one thing that can make this advertising segment lose its customer base. Lack of value is not the whale killer here.

Trust me. I should know.

Mike

edit: oh yeah straight from my site:

The biggest sin in local advertising (especially Yellow Pages or local online advertising) is using your company's name as the headline for your ad.

Well . . . that's not exactly the biggest sin.

The biggest sin is not paying your advertising bill.

The second biggest sin is using your company name as the headline for your ad.

See, there's only one acceptable goal for the headline of your ad.

That is to get the reader to read the second line of your ad.

So when you're designing an ad, ask yourself this . . .

Will this headline compel, really compel someone to read the second line of my ad?

Don't look in the Yellow Pages for great examples, because they are usually filled with "me, me, me" ads.
Make your ad a "you, you, you" ad, and you'll smoke your competition.
- by ilovesuperpages.com
It will never die..... just re-invent itself.
I can agree.

Print yellow pages will become more of a resource and less of a starting point for purchase decisions.
I can agree.

The second biggest sin is using your company name as the headline for your ad.
Do think the YP account representatives tell this to their clients? - by Agent Smith

Do think the YP account representatives tell this to their clients?
nope.... most dont have the customer focus that I have. call me Naive - by ilovesuperpages.com
nope.... most dont have the customer focus that I have. call me Naive
You'd think this is something that would be part of the reps training. :( - by AZBroker
You'd think this is something that would be part of the reps training. :(
cant train ethics!!! - by ilovesuperpages.com
cant train ethics!!!
What reason could a rep have for not passing this information along? - by AZBroker
many reps dont understand effective advertising.

step 1: Identify your target market... etc etc.

WIFM... what is in it for me?? the customer? etc etc.

Then in my opinion many take the marketing out of it and make the job equal to a car sales position. IMO - by ilovesuperpages.com
many reps dont understand effective advertising.

step 1: Identify your target market... etc etc.

WIFM... what is in it for me?? the customer? etc etc.

Then in my opinion many take the marketing out of it and make the job equal to a car sales position. IMO
Isn't that really a training issue? - by AZBroker
i can agree with this statement. Lack of "proper" training on effective marketing. To me this is the fundamental "principals" of marketing. - by ilovesuperpages.com
i can agree with this statement. Lack of "proper" training on effective marketing. To me this is the fundamental "principals" of marketing.
So how "is" the training at Verizon? ;st - by AZBroker
So how "is" the training at Verizon? ;st
better than our competitors.... but the learning curve in this business is still 3 years!!! - by ilovesuperpages.com
better than our competitors.... but the learning curve in this business is still 3 years!!!
3 years? Ouch! ;bg - by AZBroker
3 years? Ouch! ;bg
i have been working with Dallas Tx area business owners since 1999. I am well above the curve!! lol - by ilovesuperpages.com
I don't know about "kills", considering only half the US population even has Internet access (about 1.5mm people don't), mostly rural, seems there's still a market for it. - by TommyMac5
Isn't the yellow pages a big money maker? As long as it's making money I don't think the yellow page companies are going to stop. - by Thomas
Isn't the yellow pages a big money maker? As long as it's making money I don't think the yellow page companies are going to stop.
If it ain't broke don't fix it. ;wi - by WobblyBox
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.