Home > Interview > Listening Skills

Listening Skills

One of the biggest failings I see is the failure of salesmen to actually listen to what I want.
They are so concerned with selling me what they want me to have, they miss out on opportunities that they could easily take advantage of.

Has anybody else noticed this? - by Dolly
"Attentive Listening" is a skill that MANY salespeople, from greenhorns to seasoned pros, have trouble with. - by SalesGuy
I've noticed it many times, Dolly. I refuse to do business with them but they know they'll eventually make sales - they listen to use their techniques to force sales.

Why not say, "You're not listening to me. Do you want to make a sale or do you want me to take my business somewhere else where the buyer is respected.?

The best to you.

MitchM - by MitchM
One of the biggest failings I see is the failure of salesmen to actually listen to what I want.
They are so concerned with selling me what they want me to have, they miss out on opportunities that they could easily take advantage of.

Has anybody else noticed this?
Yes I've seen salespeople push an agenda. I've also seen non-salespeople do the same thing. - by Jolly Roger
Yes I've seen salespeople push an agenda. I've also seen non-salespeople do the same thing.
I cannot quite get to the bottom of it. Perhaps, it has some meaning but really I just quite couldn't get it. - by matefork
I cannot quite get to the bottom of it. Perhaps, it has some meaning but really I just quite couldn't get it.
I meant that many people come into a conversation with the intention of pushing their own agenda. These people are so concerned and focused on their wants (agenda) that they seem to ignore everything or everyone else. - by Jolly Roger
I get what you mean. I also see the likes you mention but I couldn't concur with them. - by matefork
Good point JRoger - it's in daily communication not just sales - in sales it's manifest in rude, pressure, ignoring the would-be buyer.

Listening skills aren't taught. - by MitchM
Listening is the lost art in the sales process. I've written an article on the Power of Empathic Listening and how it Helps Improve Customer Relationships. Be happy to post it, if anyone's interested.

Cheers

Susan - by susana
Email it to me, Susan.

MitchM - by MitchM
I'd be interested Susan. Can you post it? - by Agent Smith
I'd be interested Susan. Can you post it?
Should I post it here, or in the articles section? - by susana
I enjoy your posts and would be very interested in reading your work Susan. - by SalesGuy
Fo those who have expressed interest, I've put this in Articles. It's titled The Power of Empathic Listening.
Would welcome any feedback or questions.

Susan - by susana
Email to me also , Susan

Naishadh - by naishadh
Listening is the lost art in the sales process. I've written an article on the Power of Empathic Listening and how it Helps Improve Customer Relationships. Be happy to post it, if anyone's interested.

Cheers

Susan
Sounds like you've got loads of helpful advice there. Please post or e-mail to me, if you can spare the time ^_^ <karen.m.singson@gmail.com> - by Karen Singson
Susan,

Could you please email your article to me as well? I have not been able to find the article on this site.

THANKS! - by chevyone56
Fo those who have expressed interest, I've put this in Articles. It's titled The Power of Empathic Listening.
Would welcome any feedback or questions.
Would you be interested in posted your article titled, "The Power of Empathic Listening" in the community articles area? - by Admin-Asst
I've posted this in the Self Improvement section.

Hope it helps.

Susan - by susana
All the time dolly, when a sales person does the wrong things and fails to listen to what the customer is inadvertantly telling them and sometime advertantly but the salesman won't shut up the sale is jepoardised greatly.

Good post. thmbp2; - by Snowboy
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.