Home > Jobs > Best Sales Professions - Careers?

Best Sales Professions - Careers?

Hey gang, I need some advice!

I know I want a Sales career but I am not sure of what "type" of sales I would enjoy. Maybe if I mention what I am looking for it may help you answer my questions.

I am currently in the Information Technology field and need OUT! Yes, I hate what I do and want to stay far, far away from any computer related job. It's just too frustrating! Anyway, I am seeking a Sales career? Why? Well, I enjoy getting out every day and going about my business; kinda what I do now but not in this field of course. Also, I want to finally make money! I am tired of working for a company where no matter how hard I work I can't achieve a higher income. I've been at my current company a long time (about 10 years) and have seen little pay increases, if any. I can't keep up with inflation!! I am done there. It's a crappy company with a greedy owner who pays as little as possible to the hard working employees. Many people are leaving and they don't care. So, the only way I can make serious money is in a Sales career. I know this. I only have an Associates Degree and DO NOT want to go back to school. No thanks.

I had some sales experience in the past selling like office equipment (which was horrible) but that's because it was a product I could not get "into". I am seeking a sales career where I can build long-lasting relationships where I can also enjoy a residual income. I am looking for ideas, that's all. I have an interview next week as an insurance rep with a good company but that's the first company who has shown interest in me so far.

Anyway, what sales careers are good? Ones in which you can build long-lasting relationships where the money is good? I am looking for a salary plus comission type job cause I cannot afford a 100% comission job, no way. I am on a salary now in which I am the sole provider for my family! This insurance company I am looking into is perfect so we shall see what happens. But I am not certain selling insurance would be the best career choice either.

Any ideas? Can someone offer any advice? I'd be happy to answer any questions you may have. I guess I am just trying to narrow down my choices in sales careers. For instance, which jobs to avoid, which careers are good ones. I am seeking long-term choices! I want to be left alone to do my job as an outside rep. I don't want to sit behind a desk and be guaged every second of the day. I want my freedom and independence in a career in sales.

HELP!

:) - by EyeCandy
EyeCandy, what were you looking for when you found the insurance position? What is it about "insurance" that gets you jazzed? - by BossMan
EyeCandy, what were you looking for when you found the insurance position? What is it about "insurance" that gets you jazzed?
Not insurance! LOL Actually, this was the only career which game me a starting base salary making more than I do now, plus comissions, company car, expense account, cell, laptop, and more. Yea, I don't know much about insurance but hey, what a package! :) - by EyeCandy
I could say direct sales/network marketing with the right company because I believe it and it's what I've been doing ten years - BUT be that as it may, it may not be for you.

I'd look for something that offered a high five figure+ income within a few years, something with top notch training/mentoring, something I'd have an affinity or affection for or at least could learn with zeal and strong interest.

The best to you.

MitchM - by MitchM
If you're going to be out interviewing, be ready for some skepticism on the part of sales managers. You need to have your story ready about how you're going to be a better fit for a job than someone with more sales experience.
I'm not intending to be discouraging, just want you to be ready so you don't get blindsided.

Best of luck

Susan - by susana
Good point, Susan.

People who are blindsided are blindsided because of their own blind side - self-examination first keeps that from happening.

MitchM - by MitchM
I could say direct sales/network marketing with the right company because I believe it and it's what I've been doing ten years - BUT be that as it may, it may not be for you...
Yep, MLM is not for me. I actually tried that type of sale a few times in my life and never really enjoyed it. I prefer B2B sales with a solid company and more of a guaranteed salary for a few years until I build up my clients. They are out there, they are just hard to land becuase of all the people wanting a good company to work for.

I had an interview recently and feel I did well and should find out if I made it to the next round in a few weeks. This was my first interview in over a decade! Yikes! I'm not polished and I hope it didn't show too bad. Haha

Anyway, thanks for the advice! - by EyeCandy
It's good to be at a place in life when you know what you want and what you don't want - I keep my eyes open BUT have definite compartments of self knowledge that are precise and absolute - you sound that way too!

The best to you.

MitchM - by MitchM
Well, didn't get the job. At least I had an interview for practice! Gotta look at the positives. I don't think isurance sales was a passion of mine anyway cause it was no big deal to me when I found out. So I press on...

Something will come along. I just need to find a sales career where I can have an absolute passion for. Hmmmm.... - by EyeCandy
Something will come along. I just need to find a sales career where I can have an absolute passion for. Hmmmm....
That's the spirit and the right idea - follow your passion. ;wi - by SalesCoach
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.