Home > Personal Selling > Can't stand my sales manager..

Can't stand my sales manager..

I've been working for this company 3 mths now and the sales manager is really getting to me.

He does very bitchy things like be sacastic to during meetings, write nasty emails calling your sales pathetic, telling the sales team to grow up.

He loves to micro-manage. Always asking us for action plans, listeninig to our recorded phone conversations, there are times when we had to submit the number of calls we made for the entire month.

Pardon me if im wrong, but i think a sales manager should do more than just chase for revenue. Many of us in the team feel like revenue churners. He doesnt lead by example. Doesnt try to rally the morale of the team when things are looking down. If you come to him with a problem, chances are he will tell you its your fault.

Wats so hard abt striking fear in the sales team. Threatening them with childish treats. Anyone can do it. But it takes a good sales manager to bring out the best in his sales team.

My apologies if what i said sounds wrong, but i've gone thru a few managers that earned my respect and made me want to give my best daily.

I just cldnt be bothered with this one. - by coldshot
Is there a solution? What can be done?

MitchM - by MitchM
That doesn't sound like a very supportive work environment. :( - by SalesGuy
Is there a solution? What can be done?

MitchM
Honestly i dont see a point talking to him abt it cos he thinks he's always right. I've tried speaking to him abt my problems but it always ends up being my fault. So i gave up after a while. - by coldshot
That doesn't sound like a very supportive work environment. :(
My colleagues are supportive and helpful, but definitely not the manager.

I'm considering leaving cos i dont see any future in this company as long as he's around. - by coldshot
I'm considering leaving cos i dont see any future in this company as long as he's around.
What's in it for you to stay? - by SalesGuy
What's in it for you to stay?
Nothing at the moment. More crap from him? - by coldshot
Nothing at the moment. More crap from him?
It sounds like something has got to give. If you continue to try and sell with this aggravation in the background I would hazard a guess that your performance will be adversely affected. - by SalesGuy
I'm probably coming at this from a contrarian viewpoint, so please don't be offended. Sales is a very tough proffession. Most organizations have salesforces in place to achieve just one thing....generate revenue. Anything that achieves that goal is tolerated most places.

I would think that it will be very difficult to achieve your goals as a salesperson if you spend time worrying about how your boss is doing his job. Perhaps his management style doesn't jibe with your needs as a salesperson. If that's the case, I would probably seek employment elsewhere. Otherwise, I would keep my eye on the prize and do whatever I could to generate the most revenue for your company. After all, that's what you're being paid for. - by jrdickens
That's what is so great about this business... if you know how to prospect and sell you can write your own ticket. ;wi - by WobblyBox
That's what is so great about this business... if you know how to prospect and sell you can write your own ticket. ;wi
Exactly! ;co - by SalesGuy
I understand where you are coming from. I once worked in an office where our manager was the same way. She liked to micro manage and had to always be right. She had us doing things that were so petty, we couldn't focus on the bigger picture. It got really hard to work under her supervision. We finally went to higher up and explained that the work environment she was creating was actually keeping us from being productive and we were ready to give up.

They eventually appointed a new manager. - by wlctrent
Sounds like your manager is someone who lets power get to their head, this type of manager usually sets themselves up for failure. If you have an unhappy sales force then moral is down, if moral is down then sales go down. Its an inevitable ripple effect and that manager actually gets themself demoted. There is an excellent thread on here you could print out and anonamously leave on your managers desk called something like "Do you have a checklist". Its fairly new and describes everything that an excellent manager is. Maybe that will hit home and he or she will try to improve themselfs. Good luck, power freaks are hard to deal with, been there done that. - by RyanJ
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.