Home > Personal Development > Sales = 80% Attitude?

Sales = 80% Attitude?

To be successful in a sales career do you believe this? - by EyeCandy
To be successful in a sales career do you believe this?
I believe that your attitude influences your behavior. For example, if you have the attitude that cold calling is painful then you will be less likely to pick up the phone and make the calls. - by BossMan
I don't - atitude is 100% everything - attitude toward self, toward others, about life in general and specifically, toward personal growth, toward success and failure, one's attitude about curiosity and relationships, about the world and everything in it is 100% everything we accomplish including attitude toward one's beliefs.

MitchM - by MitchM
I don't think attitude is everything but it ranks right up there with Oxygen. ;st - by Thomas
Attitude without Action is just... Attitude. ;) - by AZBroker
Attitude without Action is just... Attitude. ;)
Right, attitude is good but you can't make money just on attitude alone. WORK is what you need to do, along with a good attitude. Many sales book state it's all about attitude but they fail to say sales professions are ones in which you have to work your tail off more so than any other career! LOL You can't wish upon a star with a good attitude and "WHAM", there is suddenly a big pile of money. (Unless you are the owner's son or daughter of course!) It don't work that way. Just my opinion. - by EyeCandy
Attitude is what causes action. You act or don't act because of what you think.

MitchM - by MitchM
Attitude is what causes action. You act or don't act because of what you think.

MitchM
How in your opinion is attitude a cause of action Mitch? - by SalesCoach
It's not an opinion - action happens in people because of thought - it may be an impulse such as "I'm starved, I'm getting food." I'm not talking about basic survival impulses - action happens because of attitudes - attitudes are combinations of thoughts and feelings, emotions.

We do what we think - that's just the way people are made.

What do you think causes people to act aside from impulses, SC?

MitchM - by MitchM
What do you think causes people to act aside from impulses, SC?

MitchM
I think every action is a reaction to an impulse. These reactions are influenced by attitude. - by SalesCoach
okay - then impulse and attitude work together in your understanding of why people do what they do or what makes people do what they do.

MitchM - by MitchM
okay - then impulse and attitude work together in your understanding of why people do what they do or what makes people do what they do.

MitchM
Generally speaking, yes. - by SalesCoach

MitchM
I don't think we can assign a percentage to attitude's influence in selling for a living. 20%. 80%. 100%. Not that easy.

For one thing, in selling, attitude is often discussed in multiple contexts. For instance, attitude originates from belief. On that premise, change your belief, change your attitude.

That's one context.

Another is that attitude is something we can make ourselves change, i.e. from bad to good, to get better results.

That's a common context.

Here's another, one that I relate to more than the others. Someone once told me that talent is not enough...you have to ASSUME an attitude....as in assimilate an attitude. That meant a lot to me early in my career. But it had more to do with purpose and conviction than the contexts of attitude described above. - by Gary Boye
When I observe people's actions I wonder what motivates them in specific ways - not just impulse + attutude = action - but relative to what I see the WHY or What motivating the activity. This is something I've given many years of study to - it's an important study.

Do you have any other conclusions?

MitchM - by MitchM
"Here's another, one that I relate to more than the others. Someone once told me that talent is not enough...you have to ASSUME an attitude....as in assimilate an attitude. That meant a lot to me early in my career. But it had more to do with purpose and conviction than the contexts of attitude described above." -- Gary

My understanding of that is that you have to have the belief you can assume an attitude - assimulate an attitude - to do it. Likewise, if the context is change and you can change an attitude that also requires the belief you can do it.

So if belief and attitude are used as synonyms then unless the action is a basic animal instinct or impluse to suck or bite or swallow, belief/attitude produces action.

What say anyone?

MitchM - by MitchM
"Here's another, one that I relate to more than the others. Someone once told me that talent is not enough...you have to ASSUME an attitude....as in assimilate an attitude. That meant a lot to me early in my career. But it had more to do with purpose and conviction than the contexts of attitude described above." -- Gary

My understanding of that is that you have to have the belief you can assume an attitude - assimulate an attitude - to do it. Likewise, if the context is change and you can change an attitude that also requires the belief you can do it.

So if belief and attitude are used as synonyms then unless the action is a basic animal instinct or impluse to suck or bite or swallow, belief/attitude produces action.

What say anyone?

MitchM
I don't view belief and attitude as synomyms but I do believe that beliefs shape attitudes. - by SalesCoach
Can you distinguish how they go together, SalesCoach and what differentiates them from the other?

MitchM - by MitchM
Can you distinguish how they go together, SalesCoach and what differentiates them from the other?
You might find these descriptions helpful MitchM.

Attitude:
Attitudes are positive or negative views of an "attitude object": i.e. a person, behaviour or event. People can also be "ambivalent" towards a target, meaning that they simultaneously possess a positive and a negative attitude.
Belief:
Belief is usually defined as a conviction to the truth of a proposition without its verification, therefore it is a subjective mental interpretation of the perception results, own contemplation/reasoning or communication.
- by SalesCoach
Thanks SGuy - those are helpful.

MitchM - by MitchM
Thanks SGuy - those are helpful.

MitchM
It is SalesCoach and you are welcome. - by SalesCoach
Sorry - SalesCoach - I typed too quickly.

I've been a coach/trainer in my business for eight of the past ten years - our company has sent me out to train nationally and in Canada and I did five months of trainings in Malaysia in 03/04 - network marketing is only successful when there's a network of leaders who are coachable and capable of staying focused to accomplish goals they're motivated to want - out of any strong network 3 - 5% will drive the sales force meaning they're the ones who provide the support and encouragement and traning for everyone else who in turn will do their part.

The best to you.

MitchM - by MitchM
I absolutely believe it. I think most people can sell just about anything to anyone with the right posture, attitude and confidence. As soon as a potential customer sees any doubt in you, they are gone. - by wlctrent
I believe that one's attitude in any one moment dictates the available behavior choices and the desirability of those choices. ;wi - by Agent Smith
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.