Home > Presentation > Managing expectations

Managing expectations

I was having a bit of an arg... discussion about this issue. My colleague always talks up the product massively. I feel that when dealing with a knowledgeable, skeptical customer not only can over-hyping lose the sale, it makes them real critical if they do buy it and it under performs.

If I think the buyer knows his stuff I tend to push value for money or customer service rather than insisting the product is 'all that' when in fact it is only moderate quality.

Thoughts? - by rattitude
I was having a bit of an arg... discussion about this issue. My colleague always talks up the product massively. I feel that when dealing with a knowledgeable, skeptical customer not only can over-hyping lose the sale, it makes them real critical if they do buy it and it under performs.

If I think the buyer knows his stuff I tend to push value for money or customer service rather than insisting the product is 'all that' when in fact it is only moderate quality.

Thoughts?
Unless value for money or customer service is what the customer wants isn't that the same thing as what your colleague is doing ... "Pushing"? - by SpeedRacer
Selling is always pushing, my point is that it shouldn't cross the line into outright lying. - by rattitude
Selling is always pushing, my point is that it shouldn't cross the line into outright lying.
We probably don't agree on the role of "pushing" in sales but I do agree that outright lying is unacceptable. - by SpeedRacer
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.