Home > Jobs > How do you know what you are worth?

How do you know what you are worth?

I am a new member and wanted to ask a few questions. The first item is salary. How do I know what to ask for if I am new to this profession. I have alot of knowledge and experience but not in the sales field. I make a nice living right now and don't want to fall to far off. I understand that I will be taking a pay cut and that is fine but I don't want to sell myself short. Is there anyone who knows what base salary would be acceptable? I have over 13 years experience in manufacturing. I have a machine repair trade card. I have an associates in business and currently finishing my bachelors in marketing. I also have the education and training that comes with 5 years of machine repair work. I am not asking for the sky but like I said I do not want to work for less than I have to. Also does anyone have any recomendations for gaining more sales experience? Thank you in advance...Jamie. - by wikdc5
Wouldn't a salary be based on the company and the position? At the company I work for they offer a base salary with a draw against commissions. The base salary is minimum wage. - by Thomas
Sometimes it's not what your skills or talents are worth but what the employer is willing to pay to have certain work performed. Just a thought. - by Liberty
Base salary in sales is usually not where the bulk of your income will come from. Whe I had a top tier sales job, my base was 60k. I don't know of many sales jobs where you can get a base in excess of 100k. - by susana
let me ask this a different way...is 50-60k as a base a realistic starting point in industrial sales? is anyone in industrial sales? just wanna try and get a ballpark figure on what I could make first year in this profession...thanks everyone. - by wikdc5
I have not worked in industrial sales (yet). ;bg

There are job sites like careerbuilder.com and monster.com where you can search for industrial sales jobs and see what everyone is offering. - by Thomas
I am a new member and wanted to ask a few questions. The first item is salary. How do I know what to ask for if I am new to this profession. I have alot of knowledge and experience but not in the sales field. I make a nice living right now and don't want to fall to far off. I understand that I will be taking a pay cut and that is fine but I don't want to sell myself short. Is there anyone who knows what base salary would be acceptable? I have over 13 years experience in manufacturing. I have a machine repair trade card. I have an associates in business and currently finishing my bachelors in marketing. I also have the education and training that comes with 5 years of machine repair work. I am not asking for the sky but like I said I do not want to work for less than I have to. Also does anyone have any recomendations for gaining more sales experience? Thank you in advance...Jamie.
Great day wikdc5,

Welcome.

Look on salary.com.

Fake it till you make it.

It's not always about what you are worth but what you negotiate.

michaelc. - by job ready strategist
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.