Home > Prospecting > lead development

lead development

Hi everyone. I am new to the sales field and so glad I found this site. I am currenty working for a company that has just started a sales dept. so there is not many recources as far as training is concerned. I am doing relatively well selling to customers who have even a slight interest in my companies services, but I am mostly cold selling in person to develop leads and not having much success. Does anyone have any ideas as far as other ways to go about lead development? Thank you for any input you can provide. - by h20guy
What kind of company and what product/service do you offer? Who is your target market? How are you currently reaching this market? - by AZBroker
We are a water and coffee service in PA. We service both homes and offices with spring water/coolers and coffee/brewers on a delivery basis. Right now I am cold selling in person and networking through friends and people I come in contact with in my daily life. - by h20guy
We are a water and coffee service in PA. We service both homes and offices with spring water/coolers and coffee/brewers on a delivery basis. Right now I am cold selling in person and networking through friends and people I come in contact with in my daily life.
What is the standard practice for lead generation in your industry? Or from another angle, how are your competitors generating leads? - by Agent Smith
I have only been in the industry for a few months so my knowledge is limited. Flyers in newspapers and such seem to be standard, although I have heard some radio ads, but these cost money and I need to prove myself to my boss before he authorizes such an expense. Most of the lead generation to the best of my knowledge comes from cold selling which I realize is required because most buisnesses have a service similar to mine and I need to show the benefits of switching to my company. The problem I run into is we are a relatively unknown name in the industry compared with large nationwide companies. - by h20guy
I have only been in the industry for a few months so my knowledge is limited. Flyers in newspapers and such seem to be standard, although I have heard some radio ads, but these cost money and I need to prove myself to my boss before he authorizes such an expense. Most of the lead generation to the best of my knowledge comes from cold selling which I realize is required because most buisnesses have a service similar to mine and I need to show the benefits of switching to my company. The problem I run into is we are a relatively unknown name in the industry compared with large nationwide companies.
Here are a few general ideas:

1.) Find out who is most likely to want a service like yours... specifically. Your company will likely have an ideal prospect profile available. Make a list of the companies that fit this profile. These are the companies you will prospect.

2.) Then, determine what solution(s) you can provide to these ideal prospects. By the way, what solution(s) do you provide?

3.) Next, determine why these prospects should order your service over your competitors (aka Unique Selling Proposition).

Finally, produce a prospecting offer designed around items (2) and (3) and then start contacting your ideal prospects (1) with this prospecting offer.

Speaking of water have you read this thread - http://www.salespractice.com/forums/t-552.html ;bg - by Agent Smith
Right now I am cold selling in person and networking through friends and people I come in contact with in my daily life.
Are you door knocking? I don't know if I could do that. What do you say? - by Thomas
I know someone who specializes in custom leads. I don't think I can put the link, so if you'd like the info, just pm me.

Susan - by susana
I know someone who specializes in custom leads. I don't think I can put the link, so if you'd like the info, just pm me.

Susan
We can't post links? - by Thomas
We can't post links?
Actually, I wasn't sure. If I can post it then I will. I have no affiliation to this company. - by susana
Actually, I wasn't sure. If I can post it then I will. I have no affiliation to this company.
I looked at the Faq and the only rule I saw about this was 11. Self-Promotion. Please keep all self-promotion (advertising of any website, forums, email address, business, MLM, activity, or other entities that you have an affiliation with) restricted to your forum "Signature". Your link should be ok. - by Thomas
I looked at the Faq and the only rule I saw about this was 11. Self-Promotion. Please keep all self-promotion (advertising of any website, forums, email address, business, MLM, activity, or other entities that you have an affiliation with) restricted to your forum "Signature". Your link should be ok.
the website is www.leadssolution.com. Hope this helps.

Susan - by susana
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.