Home > Personal Selling > Staffing Sales HELP!!!!

Staffing Sales HELP!!!!

Anyone else here in Staffing? It's a rather unique industry in that we are selling people as opposed to "Widgets" that are an actual item in which the performance can be guaranteed.

I am unfourtunetly ina major slump right now and can't seem to make any contact with prospects no matter how hard I try. Phone calls, Drop-offs, cards...nothing seems to work.

The clients I do get in contact with want lower rates and aren't concerned much with the quality of the individuals that they are seeking..go figure.

Being the only sales guy in my office is also very tough and leads to many stressful days and sleepless nights due to the fact that I am supposed to be generating all the revenue not only for the company but for myself and my family to eat.

I have been in this industry for the past 8 years and have never done anything else..nor have I ever had a run of bad luck like this.

Can anyone help? - by Miami Sales
Are you selling "temporary staffing"? Who is your tartet audience? - by AZBroker
We deal with Temp, Temp to Hire and Direct Hire Staffing. Our targets are far and wide from Professional Clearical to Light Industrial and Manufacturing clients.

We basically do it all as well as executive recruiting. - by Miami Sales
Which methods of lead generation have you used with success in the past? Which methods of lead generation are standard for your industry? - by AZBroker
Same methods..Cold Calls, voice mails, emails, direct face to face..when and if the DM will see me. - by Miami Sales
I am unfourtunetly ina major slump right now and can't seem to make any contact with prospects no matter how hard I try. Phone calls, Drop-offs, cards...nothing seems to work.
Is this what you consider to be your biggest challenge right now... making contact? - by Houston
For some reason at this point..nobody is calling me back. Nobody is giving me face 2 Faces...nothing. - by Miami Sales
For some reason at this point..nobody is calling me back. Nobody is giving me face 2 Faces...nothing.
You said you're using the same methods but receiving different results. What has changed? Has the market shifted? Has a competitor taken the business? Has your approach changed? - by Houston
The market has changed and unemployment is at an all time low, however companies still need positions to be filled as they grow..therfore there is still a place for staffing. Also, during busy seasons such as holidays some companys acheiver their peak season which also demands temporary help.

In this industry there are always many competitors, some of which will cut you off at the knees and offer their services at some ridiculously low rate 35%-45% when the typical rates are somewhere 55% and above. This is a hassle but then again, the companies that use those cut rate firms also get what they pay for.

Unfourtunetly, those cut rate firms have given the industry as a whole a bad reputation even the national and global staffing frims have harmed us due to the fact that they are people mills and not interested in providing quality employees..they just want market share.

My approach has not changed, however at this point I feel that it needs to. - by Miami Sales
My approach has not changed, however at this point I feel that it needs to.
What would you change? - by AZBroker
The only thing I can do different at this point is try less, and that's notgoing to happen.

For example, today as I was leaving I get an email from a client that says they no longer need the services of 2 of my employees..guess what...now my sales have dropped even more.

Lucky me. - by Miami Sales
For example, today as I was leaving I get an email from a client that says they no longer need the services of 2 of my employees..guess what...now my sales have dropped even more.

Lucky me.
IMHO, keep your mind on the ball... generating business. Make it your new project if you haven't already. By doing this you'll start to take notice all the things that can bring you closer to your goal instead of the opposite. - by Houston
I don't know a lot about your industry, so my comments may or may not help. If you're in a situation where your service has become a commodity, your cutomers perceive you to have the same value (or lack thereof) that your competitors do. What's your value statement? What are the 3 reasons you're better than these cut rate places? These 3 points should be in every fax you send, at your signature on your email, and in every conversation. You have to hammer home your value.

Hope this helps

Susan - by susana
The only thing I can do different at this point is try less, and that's notgoing to happen.
You are happy with your timing, delivery, and message? - by AZBroker
You are happy with your timing, delivery, and message?
... or "Prospects"? Better qualified prospects will yield better results. ;wi - by Liberty
The only solicitations I respond to are the one that I'm interested in. Maybe you're message isn't hitting the mark with your prospects. What do you think? - by saltydog
Maybe your timing is off. Some times are better than others (Golden Hours). Have you tried to make contact with your prospects at different times of the day? - by Agent Smith
Thanks for all the replys. I have tried calling in the mornings, afternoons and even in between, non of which have been more successful than the other.

My voicemails are breif yet informative and again nothing I havent done in the past and been successful with.

Typically if I can get in front of someone they buy from me, however as I mentioned earlier..now I can't seem to even get in front of the people I need to.

I send hand written cards, drop off goodies such as pens/pads, cookies, truffles...and the people don't even have the common courtesy to call and say thanks. - by Miami Sales
It would seem that your message, regardless of how you deliver it -voicemail, personal notes, face to face - isn't getting the results you had wanted. It appears time to re-evaluate the message you're sending. - by WobblyBox
Wobbly Box,

You may be right. At this point I haven't changed anything from what I used to work in the past..why..becuase it worked then.

It may be time that I re-invent my pitch.

Any suggestions? - by Miami Sales
Wobbly Box,

You may be right. At this point I haven't changed anything from what I used to work in the past..why..becuase it worked then.

Any suggestions?
Do you have any good customers that you could ask? If you were able to find out what 'they (the customer) want to hear', it might help with your message. Or, what are the 3 reasons they hired you before? and Are they the same reassons they'd buy from you today?

Susan - by susana
Do you have any good customers that you could ask? If you were able to find out what 'they (the customer) want to hear', it might help with your message. Or, what are the 3 reasons they hired you before? and Are they the same reassons they'd buy from you today?

Susan
I'll go along with that. ;wi - by WobblyBox
Wobbly Box,

Any suggestions?
What script are you currently using? - by Agent Smith
"If your target audience isnít listening, itís not their fault, itís yours." - Seth Godin - by Liberty
"If your target audience isnít listening, itís not their fault, itís yours." - Seth Godin
Seth has got a point there. ;wi - by AZBroker
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.