Home > Management > Tales Of Interviewing Nightmares!!

Tales Of Interviewing Nightmares!!

The job market here is so tight! I am responsible for the most impossible task of trying to interview (and hire) qualified sales associates. I have been blown off for so many interviews that the frustration level is growing quickly. My timeline is so tight, and I needed to have my staff hired 5 days ago. Thus far, I have one person that is "kinda-sorta" qualified...only because, against the others that I have actually been able to interview, she has a slightly better qualified resume...still not great though...and, interviewed a bit better.

I have been on the state workforce service site, as well as the local news paper site, posted the job, and reviewed over 3000 resumes. I've telephoned and emailed those whose resumes look appealing (at all), and this is where I've gotten.

Any other suggestions?? - by tbaldwin
Any other suggestions??
Are you having a challenge with the Quanity of candidates or the Quality? - by AZBroker
BOTH. I have been in the business world for 20 years. I have been in management for 17, and owned my own construction company for 12 years. I have never had the problems that I am encountering at this point. Quantity: There are very few applicants to choose from, at all, let alone finding those with even a hint of the qualifications that I am looking for. Quality: I am finding that applicants with even fewer qualifications than I have want twice my base salary, or have very little experience consisting of two month stints here and there...no longevity whatsoever... - by tbaldwin
BOTH. I have been in the business world for 20 years. I have been in management for 17, and owned my own construction company for 12 years. I have never had the problems that I am encountering at this point. Quantity: There are very few applicants to choose from, at all, let alone finding those with even a hint of the qualifications that I am looking for. Quality: I am finding that applicants with even fewer qualifications than I have want twice my base salary, or have very little experience consisting of two month stints here and there...no longevity whatsoever...
I'm no expert at the recruiting world, but have you tried places lke carrebuilder.com and monster.com? If the base salary isn't 'wowing' them, maybe you should focus on the total package--commissions, employee discounts, benefits (if there are any). I started in sales selling encyclopedias. Doesn't anybody want to pay their dues?

Susan - by susana
There is a total package, benefits, etc...and I consider this truly a career opportunity! There is so much room for growth in this, and a lot of enjoyable experiences slated within the community and events that are planned. This is so much more than just another sales job! However, its been really very difficult to get people to agree to and show up for interview. Its all very surprizing to me. - by tbaldwin
There is a total package, benefits, etc...and I consider this truly a career opportunity! There is so much room for growth in this, and a lot of enjoyable experiences slated within the community and events that are planned. This is so much more than just another sales job! However, its been really very difficult to get people to agree to and show up for interview. Its all very surprizing to me.
It looks like you are sold on the opportunity but the candidates aren't. What are you saying to these candidates when they respond to your advertisement? - by Agent Smith
This whole thing has been very different. The company is not advertising the name of the Boutique. They do not want our competition knowing that we are coming. So, I have been online, reading resumes, calling and emailing potential candidates. I have given information regarding benefits, the environment, the philosophy of this company, the events/culture that will be a part of daily life there, etc. Finally, today, I was able to conduct several interviews with people that were qualified, "looked" the "part", have some decent experience and are very interested in the opportunity. I am amazed at how difficult it was to actaully get a dozen live bodies to sit through an interview! I've always had people knocking down my door for a job, its very strange to be on the other side of that door... - by tbaldwin
This staffing scenario is becoming very common in parts of North America. We are seeing this as the new norm in Western Canada. Is your situation common in the geography or is it more specific to your industry?

Regards,
Wayne - by wayne.regehr
I'm not certain about this situation being the "norm" at the moment, however, I do know that Utah has the lowest unemployment rate in many years, somewhere around 3%, and this is the first time that I have had to work so hard to fill positions within a promising company. I have spent the majority of my working life in another county, near Park City, Utah. This is a smaller area, very tourist oriented and found it to be a wonderful place to work, and to hire very attractive candidates. This is not the case in Salt Lake. The market is very tight, even though they just announced that 2 major malls in downtown are closing for a 5 year renovation project, and many of those stores are not relocating during the renovation. Where have all those sales people gone??? - by tbaldwin
Have you tried CraigsList? I've had good results from it on behalf of a customer. - by Coda1108
Thank you for the resource. We are 5 weeks in to training the core staff. I will be in my boutique in one week and opening doors in 2 weeks. I will be trying to hire the remainder of my staff this next week and will check CraigsList before I get too far into the process. - by tbaldwin
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.