Home > Management > Not a personality fit (grounds for termination?)

Not a personality fit (grounds for termination?)

I"m having a real bad weekend. I was just let go yesterday by my company because they felt I was not a personality fit with the type of customers in the industry. They stated that this is not performance related and that I have had success out in the field, but they wanted someone in the territory who they felt could relate better to the buyers. Basically i'm in the construction business and I deal with alot of blue collared workers and I am a recent college graduate with professionalism and they felt I did not possess the southern country quaulities that many buyers in the construction industry had. This was the reason for termination, with that being said, this was based off of nothing. Of the 8 months I been with the company, the managers only rode with me in field 3 times. That is pathetic management, and they had no clue as to how I actually interacted with my customers, they based this off of how they viewed me in the office. They have confirmed with me this is not a sales performance related issue and they had no concerns with my work ethic or selling ability but simply that they felt i may not be a fit to deal with ruggid construction workers. This based off of 3 rides in an 8 month period. The other bad part is I never even saw this coming, my conversations with my manager have always been that he though i was doing a great job and I need to keep up the good work, then 10 days later after a regional meeting with all the district managers, I am let go. Who smells something fishy? - by halidon
If your employer was an "at will" employer they can terminate without giving you a reason. I know this doesn't smooth your feathers, but unfortunately that is what the law says. If it were me, I would go immediately to a competitor in your industry and apply for a job there. Do yourself a favor, sour grapes never set well during an interview. Leave the past behind and move on. - by Masteri5
I believe that the advice of Masteri5 is very sound.

A lot of factors can determine outcomes as you describe. Some you have control over, some you don't. Right or wrong, fair or unfair, they saw reasons to part company with you. That is yesterday's business for you.

No matter how you cut it, the name of the game in selling is production. Focus on that with everything you have, and although life will not always be fair, you should have a successful career in sales. - by Gary Boye
I believe that the advice of Masteri5 is very sound.

A lot of factors can determine outcomes as you describe. Some you have control over, some you don't. Right or wrong, fair or unfair, they saw reasons to part company with you. That is yesterday's business for you.

No matter how you cut it, the name of the game in selling is production. Focus on that with everything you have, and although life will not always be fair, you should have a successful career in sales.
Isn't this almost borderlining discrimenation? That's what I'm wondering. Someone is productive and has results but is let go just because of they are not a certain type of person? - by halidon
halidon
You ask the question..."Isn't this almost borderlining discrimination?" No one in a forum such as this is going to be able to give you the answer to that one. There is too much information that would need to be researched for a conclusion to be drawn. If you feel that strongly I would think your next course of action would be to seek the advice of counsel.
You have mentioned the fact you were "productive". Only you, based on sales figures, results, etc. can determine how effective you think you were in relation to others in your industry or your company. Let's assume you were and the numbers were good. It still does not alter the fact that if your employer was an employer "at will" they can terminate for any reason. Fair? Perhaps not.
The mental anguish you will spend "justifying" what you feel is an improper decision on their part is not going to be worth the price.
It is never easy to feel "rejected" or "unwanted". No crime in that, you are human. Life is not about what is handed to you, it is about how you handle what is handed to you.
Best of luck to you. Spend your time and energy being an overcomer, not someone who spends their time saying...what might have been. - by Masteri5
If you feel strongly about this--contact an employment lawyer. We can speculate on the forum all day long, but we're not legal experts. In my sales career, I had to hire lawyers on 3 separate occasions. Sexual harrassment and compensation issues.
However, don't get bogged down in your former employer. See what the lawyer has to say, but move on and keep positive.

Susan - by susana
If I'm in your shoes Halidon, I'll take it as challenge. Apply the same position to other company and show your best talent. If you current employer appreciated your performance, that's the positive side of you. Ignore your previous company. - by shinningstar
In the words of Don Henley; Get over it. The cheese has moved, and it is time for you to move too. Give yourself an honest examination to see where you are truely culpable, figure out how to apply the lesson, and move on. Truth be told, if the boss was a jerk and let you go for no good reason; do you really want to work for him?

Good Luck!
Bill - by Bill_Kistner
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.