Home > Approach > Email Can't Create Rapport

Email Can't Create Rapport

I've been working with some entreprenueurs who are copywriters and internet marketers. There is such a resistance to picking up the phone. They all want to communicate with prospects and customers through email. They don't understand why they get 1 job and then no more with a particlar client. It's because they don't want to pick up the phone and talk to people. You can't show passion for a product in an email. As most of you kow, a few basic skills can go a long way.

Susan - by susana
There is such a resistance to picking up the phone. They all want to communicate with prospects and customers through email. They don't understand why they get 1 job and then no more with a particlar client. It's because they don't want to pick up the phone and talk to people. You can't show passion for a product in an email.
I can see that. Also, emails are easy to misconstrue by you and the client. ;om - by Houston
susana

You are right on the money. E-mail, newlsetters, websites, etc. are a great way to keep your name in front of people, disseminate information and network but nothing will ever replace direct contact.
As Houston points out, the written word is easy to misconstrue. - by Masteri5
Susana what reason do you attribute to this resistance to picking up the phone? - by SalesGuy
I've been working with some entreprenueurs who are copywriters and internet marketers.
I've seen this, too. I think that a lot of initial ground *can* be covered in email, website, etc. but eventually there will need to be human contact in most cases, yes. Many people do great with what they want to say "on paper" and just freeze up when it's person to person. It could be argued that they probably shouldn't be in sales, then, ;sm but I think they should do whatever works for them. - by destiny
Susana what reason do you attribute to this resistance to picking up the phone?
I think it's fear. Their comfort zone is email. They fear freezing up and not knowing what to say.

Susan - by susana
I've been working with some entreprenueurs who are copywriters and internet marketers. There is such a resistance to picking up the phone. They all want to communicate with prospects and customers through email. They don't understand why they get 1 job and then no more with a particlar client. It's because they don't want to pick up the phone and talk to people. You can't show passion for a product in an email. As most of you kow, a few basic skills can go a long way.

Susan
Amen to that!

Most folks don't want to be called and solicited again after they've
become a customer so I let emails explain new offerings but a quick call
now and then just to say "Are you getting the service you deserve?" will often
end up with more orders. - by Karen Sargent
Susana what reason do you attribute to this resistance to picking up the phone?
I don't like picking up the phone because it can sometimes take so much time. I realize it helps a lot toward building a relationship with the customer but it's so much easier to communicate some other way. - by ozzie
I don't like picking up the phone because it can sometimes take so much time. I realize it helps a lot toward building a relationship with the customer but it's so much easier to communicate some other way.
That's a good point Ozzie. Email or even voicemail is much quicker but it does come at an expense as you mentioned. - by SpeedRacer
I think email is a wonderful tool, and I love emailing my clients. However, emails are much more effective when accompanied with the occasional phone call. Email is great to follow up on details on something you are doing for a client. It is also great for sending over quick information about something you want them to know about.

Aside from building rapport over the phone; one of the main benefits with talking on the phone is that you will get so much more information from your clients, and I have discovered new opportunities that I never would have with just email.

The key is to balance the amount of phone calls you make to a client with how many emails you send, and how often you email/call. Each client is different, some prefer to receive emails, and some prefer to chat on the phone. As you get to know your clients it should become more clear to you how they prefer to communicate. There is no right or wrong answer, it's about finding that happy medium. - by MarkS
Now that I've been selling a little longer, I've found out what my different customers prefer. Many of them prefer to call me with their orders before the due date. I'm really happy to have that happen. I make myself pick up the phone and call the others and that has been paying off for me because people get busy and forget when the due date is for their order. - by ozzie
Over my years in sales one thing has been top of almost everyone's list - the fear of cold calling (or just phone prospecting in general).

Some of my past sales team members have actually prefered dental work rather than spend a morning on the phone to new business contacts!

So why are so called "professionals" frightened of picking up the phone? No one I know has actually been killed making prospecting calls on the phone, so what is all the fuss about?

In fact I would go so far as to speculate that it is not those who close better or whatever, who are the most successful, just those who have conquered their fear of the phone... - by Julian
In fact I would go so far as to speculate that it is not those who close better or whatever, who are the most successful, just those who have conquered their fear of the phone...
I'll go out on a limb and say that in a great number cases the sale went to the sales person who had the guts to approach the prospect first. - by Jolly Roger
I much prefer to go out a SEE my clients face to face - I have noticed that by doing this there is never a problem and if I may share an experience that I have recently had.

I went out to see one of my clients who is currently broadcasting with 3 channels. One of them is mine. When I got out there he said to me that this is first time he has even seen on of the Account holders face to face. In talking to him over a coffee and sharing a few jokes and so forth, I found out he is spending $6000 every month with the 3 channels ($2000) in each. Because of the fact that I went out and saw him he has cut back the advertising on the other two and is now Split ($1000 - $500 and mine is $4500). He is talking about cutting the other 2 completely.

I agree susana thmbp2; - by Snowboy
I've seen this, too. I think that a lot of initial ground *can* be covered in email, website, etc. but eventually there will need to be human contact in most cases, yes. Many people do great with what they want to say "on paper" and just freeze up when it's person to person. It could be argued that they probably shouldn't be in sales, then, ;sm but I think they should do whatever works for them.
Very true. You can compare it to walking the tight rope with and without the net...

I just started with a new company selling a new product, and I find myself relying on that "net" a lot more lately...

This was a good post. Thanks - by klozer
I much prefer to go out a SEE my clients face to face - I have noticed that by doing this there is never a problem and if I may share an experience that I have recently had.

I went out to see one of my clients who is currently broadcasting with 3 channels. One of them is mine. When I got out there he said to me that this is first time he has even seen on of the Account holders face to face. In talking to him over a coffee and sharing a few jokes and so forth, I found out he is spending $6000 every month with the 3 channels ($2000) in each. Because of the fact that I went out and saw him he has cut back the advertising on the other two and is now Split ($1000 - $500 and mine is $4500). He is talking about cutting the other 2 completely.
Great story! It just illustrates how important a good salesperson is in getting desired results. - by Skip Anderson
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.