Home > Management > You Are Not Alone

You Are Not Alone

Found some interesting info regarding sales, sales management and sales processes I thought I would share, particularly for those of you who are sales managers.

During the months of March and April 2004 the Sales Activator Company partnered with Nightingale Conant to conduct research designed to identify areas of concern to companies engaged in the retail sales business. The study focused on their sales and sales management process. They conducted this research with 2,663 companies in the U.S. and Europe. 80% of the companies were from the U.S., the balance European.
  • 82.29% of the companies said they were not following the sales processes currently in place.

• 41.48% indicated their salespeople were performing below expectation

• 8.13% of salespeople were described as consistent peak performers

• 90.47% said salespeople failed to maintain a proper balance between prospecting, presentation, negotiation and business management

• 41.89% train on a sporadic basis

• 25.32% were not currently engaged in ongoing training

• 22.36% train weekly

• 10.43% train monthly

• 52.34% of sales management say they are too busy or do not have time to train

Is it then any wonder why these companies said their problems relating to sales were lack of direction, missed sales opportunities, discouraged salespeople, turnover and lowered profit expectations? - by Masteri5
Is it then any wonder why these companies said their problems relating to sales were lack of direction, missed sales opportunities, discouraged salespeople, turnover and lowered profit expectations?
What's the solution? - by AZBroker
AzBroker

Hopefully there will be input from many different sources to help answer your question.

There are 9 areas mentioned in the original research, each expressed as a percentage. Maybe the members of the forum can list which item and a possible solution. Maybe with collective thought we can answer the "why" of each. - by Masteri5
Would it be fair to say that the problem for each of these areas involves commitment? - by AZBroker
AZBroker

Commitment...I have to say that word is so loosely thrown about I am not certain people really understand what it is. I have something I have carried with me for over 20 years about commitment that was written by the German philosopher Goethe.

It is a great read for anyone in sales. Also, your post to my other thread about fear of success. Read this and then consider what might be keeping you from operating the successful franchise you talked about.

Best of luck as always...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Until one is committed, there is hesitancy, the chance to draw back, always ineffectiveness, concerning all acts of initiative [and creation]. There is one elementary truth the ignorance of which kills countless ideas and splendid plans; that the moment one definitely commits oneself, then providence moves too. All sorts of things occur to help one that would never otherwise have occurred. A whole stream of events issues from the decision, raising in one's favour all manner of unforeseen incidents and meetings and material assistance which no man could have dreamed would have come his way.

Whatever you can do or dream, you can begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. Begin it now.
Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe

I did not answer your original question. I will do so in another post due to the length of this one. - by Masteri5
AZBroker

Back to your original question about each of these areas. I think the simple answer is certainly "YES". If you look at each area someone, somewhere needs to make a commitment to correcting the deficiency. The problem is that many people in sales use the "ready, shoot, aim" approach to problem solving.

They try to cure before they diagnose.
They schedule more meetings without thought to meeting effectiveness.
They tell their people they are not performing up to standard without offering suggestions for improvement.

The list continues. I would like to see what others here contribute...we can all learn something. - by Masteri5
Great day all,

My name is Miichael Coritsidis