Home > Social Influence > De-Mystifying the Sales Process

De-Mystifying the Sales Process

Consistently finding and doing business with prospects that need, want and can afford your product and services is a process that most intelligent salespeople can learn.

It is a merely a skill, which does not require genius or unusual efforts. - by JacquesWerth
...with a strong emphasis on the "...most intelligent salespeople" part. :-) - by Eric Count5
Consistently finding and doing business with prospects that need, want and can afford your product and services is a process that most intelligent salespeople can learn.

It is a merely a skill, which does not require genius or unusual efforts.
Is "consistently finding and doing business with prospects that need, want and can afford your product and services" considered a mysterious process?
- by AZBroker
Is "consistently finding and doing business with prospects that need, want and can afford your product and services" considered a mysterious process?
In another thread, quoted below, some people seem to think it requires "ingenius efforts."

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred
“Taking orders for something buyers are ready and waiting to buy at a price they are willing to pay can usually be done by salespeople with average ability. But the highest rewards, both financial and intangible, go to those who are able to create new business through their ingenious efforts.”—Lee Boyan

I love it,
SalesGuy

Great quote Fred,
AZ Broker - by JacquesWerth
In another thread, quoted below, some people seem to think it requires "ingenius efforts."

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred
“Taking orders for something buyers are ready and waiting to buy at a price they are willing to pay can usually be done by salespeople with average ability. But the highest rewards, both financial and intangible, go to those who are able to create new business through their ingenious efforts.”—Lee Boyan

I love it,
SalesGuy

Great quote Fred,
AZ Broker
IMO, the Lee Boyan quote doesn't suggest/imply that "consistently finding and doing business with prospects that need, want and can afford your product and services" is a mysterious process.

Instead, I think the quote is about the rewards for salespeople who go after the lion's share of the business vs. taking orders from the small percentage of prospects who are ready and waiting.
- by AZBroker
IMO, the Lee Boyan quote doesn't suggest/imply that "consistently finding and doing business with prospects that need, want and can afford your product and services" is a mysterious process.

Instead, I think the quote is about the rewards for salespeople who go after the lion's share of the business vs. taking orders from the small percentage of prospects who are ready and waiting.
Is that your definition of "ingenus efforts?" - by JacquesWerth
Is that your definition of "ingenus efforts?"
I think that "ingenious efforts" in the quote by Lee Boyan refers to salespeople creating new business in ways not typical of the majority of salespeople. - by AZBroker
I think that "ingenious efforts" in the quote by Lee Boyan refers to salespeople creating new business in ways not typical of the majority of salespeople.
"A wise man will make more opportunities than he finds." -Francis Bacon - by Houston
"A wise man will make more opportunities than he finds." -Francis Bacon
I totally agree with that quote as it applied in the first part of the early 17th century, when Sir Francis wrote it.

Now we have telephones, the Internet, information overload, list brokers, and hundreds of times more opportunities then he did.

These days, a wise man will sort through available opportunities and devote his resources to those that provide the highest probability of success. - by JacquesWerth
I think it boils down to working hard. I'm not ingenious maybe average intelligence but I make lots of sales. Mostly I work hard. Some people say you should work smart not hard but I always think they just are trying to say they are smart without saying it in so many words. If you work hard you automatically learn to work smart as time goes on because learning happens to be work too which is work that a lot of people want to avoid. Not me. I'm average, not any genius and I don't even know who Francis Bacon is other than I think somebody said once he wrote Shakespeare's plays or some of them. If he's so smart how come he never got credit or for that matter let Shakespeare make all the royalties and get painted. Just my average opinion. - by Joe Closer
I think it boils down to working hard. I'm not ingenious maybe average intelligence but I make lots of sales. Mostly I work hard. Some people say you should work smart not hard but I always think they just are trying to say they are smart without saying it in so many words. If you work hard you automatically learn to work smart as time goes on because learning happens to be work too which is work that a lot of people want to avoid. Not me. I'm average, not any genius and I don't even know who Francis Bacon is other than I think somebody said once he wrote Shakespeare's plays or some of them. If he's so smart how come he never got credit or for that matter let Shakespeare make all the royalties and get painted. Just my average opinion.
Most salespeople work hard and fail to earn a decent living. Therefore, you are probably a lot smarter than you think. However, you seem to take pride in learning the hard way.

It seems that you are saying that learning by doing is better than learning and then doing. If so, why does the average college graduate earn about $1 million more in his/her lifetime than the average high school graduate?

Some people think that Christopher Marlow wrote some of Shakespeare's plays, too. These days when many of the best selling books are actually written by “ghostwriters,” that is considered pretty smart. In fact, really good ghostwriters can make a few hundred thousand a year, and hardly anyone knows their names. - by JacquesWerth
"It seems that you are saying that learning by doing is better than learning and then doing. If so, why does the average college graduate earn about $1 million more in his/her lifetime than the average high school graduate?"

In college how do you think they learn? by doing. Besides that I'm willing to bet that outside of some professions (doctors, lawyers and some others), most grads don't use their degree for the profession they majored in (don't take me wrong I still regard the college experience as valuable and I hold a degree myself).

As far as sales goes, many people may learn the hard way, but they do learn. - by Wonderboy
in small part:"In college how do you think they learn? by doing."
I have three college degrees and I have been a guest instructor in sales classes at two major universities.

The little bit of role-playing that they do is not "learning by doing." - by JacquesWerth
I have three college degrees and I have been a guest instructor in sales classes at two major universities.

The little bit of role-playing that they do is not "learning by doing."
If you're talking about sales, then I'd say it's an opportunity for you to set up a course where the student can learn by doing (maybe by taking them on a field trip). - by Wonderboy
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.