Home > Cold Calling > what an embarrassing call

what an embarrassing call

Can anybody let me know if I was doing something wrong?

I sell poly tarps for years and did a good job in Europe. Recently, I just started to do sales in the U.S but I was so embrassed a few moments ago. Here is the story. I sent fax to my potential client and introduce our products but I did not receive any response. So,I called them as I will travel to that town and would like to visit them if possible. Then I called up and said that I would like to talk to Purchasing Manager or Associate. The lady asked me for the reference and I told her my company's name and blah blah.. She said wait for a minute but I heard she was talking to the PM. Afterwards, PM said something to her I don't know what it was and she hung up..:(

Was I doing something wrong? Did I do something what American don't like? - by imprint
It sounds like you sent a spam fax and followed up with a telemarketing cold call. I wouldn't hang up on you for doing this but I would probably be turned off. - by SpeedRacer
Thanks a lot. Do you have any suggestion on what I was supposed to do? - by imprint
Thanks a lot. Do you have any suggestion on what I was supposed to do?
One way to do a 'colld' mailing (or fax) is to give them a reason to want to talk to you. Some type of promotion perhaps.
Also, put on the fax, I will be calling on xyz date at 10 am to discuss this with you.
It's a little more professional.

Susan - by susana
What convinced you to add FAX-SPAM to your marketing plan? - by AZBroker
Treating your Gatekeeper as a Stakeholder:

It is inevitable that if you send a fax or a letter that the communication will be received by an admin/assistant and not your stakeholder - which I guess in this case is the purchasing manager. In my current role I have sales people calling on me every week, and personally I do not care for unsolicited emails or faxes.

I spent my career selling technology - so likely a little different than your world - none-the-less I had significant success treating executive assistants and admins as stakeholders instead of trying to do the end-run around them.

Just try this a few times - call in and ask for the admin assistant for the purchasing manager instead of the purchasing manager. Then tell him or her what you do, how you thought there may be an opportunity to help XYZ company by <whatever>, and that you wanted his/her permission to send them a fax or email discussing how you can help and review it with a follow up call - then he or she can decide after you review it if it made sense to set up a discussion with the purchasing manager.

(a) this approach takes the assistant so off-guard because they get so many calls per day from sales guys just like you trying to do an end-run around them.
(b) some will not be receptive, but you will be surprised how many will not only be receptive, but will be helpful in teeing up the introduction you are looking for (and maybe even coaching you in the process).

Like I said, me selling software and technology is certainly different environment than the poly tarp space, but you may be surprised at how effective the technique can be.

Eric - by Eric Count5
Thank you all,guys. The suggestions are fantastic. I am trying as Eric said !!! - by imprint
should the average joe know what a poly tarp is??? If so I'm sittin here feeling pretty stupid, so what exactly is this poly tarp you speak of? - by RyanJ
If in doubt, RyanJ, there's always google. - by Eric Count5
should the average joe know what a poly tarp is??? If so I'm sittin here feeling pretty stupid, so what exactly is this poly tarp you speak of?
Ha, wish I would've googled before posting, thats funny. Ok now everyone point and laugh at the stupid guy. I've always just called them tarps. lol - by RyanJ
Ha, wish I would've googled before posting, thats funny. Ok now everyone point and laugh at the stupid guy. I've always just called them tarps. lol
There are no stupid questions. ;wi - by WobblyBox
Some will some wont so what. Dont waste time or effort worrying about any form of negatives elling experience.
Just go on to the next one,he is the one that may feed your family. - by UK Paul
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.