Home > Management > Salesperson Gender

Salesperson Gender

Hi All

In the thread entitled "Trainer in Training" jamiserene posed some questions and made some statements to the forum. One dealt with her management team thinking her gender would be an asset to the position.
AZBroker asked the question "Do you and your sales manager feel this is an "asset" to a sales trainer?"

His question made me think about the female salespeople I have managed. I also thought about the ones in another industry or business that I am aware of. I have made the statement many times that female salespeople have an "intuition" we men simply do not posess. I am certain we all remember our Mother having that special "intuition".

I find that females are absolutely terrific salespeople because of it. In addition, we men often times do not seek advice or help because it's just not what we do.

One thing women have to develop is the balance required to be a successful salesperson, wife, mom, girlfriend, housekeeper,head cook, etc.

Truth is in most instances after the work day is done women, in the majority of households, go back to their "other job" of running the household. Pretty easy to see why many of them battle fatigue and a feeling of not having enough time to accomplish everything.

I would be interested in seeing your thoughts about the other qualities women posess that make them great salespeople. - by Masteri5
I have made the statement many times that female salespeople have an "intuition" we men simply do not posess.
I would agree that great salespeople, men or women, posess an "intuition". - by Calvin
AMEN Masteri5 !!!!! - by Renee
People, men and women, are individuals. Grouping one sex together and making generalizations never panned out for me personally. :re - by Iceman
I am in full agreement Iceman, yet I was able to relate with the comments of masteri5. Yes, we all have our strengths & weaknesses as individuals - by Renee
I know I'll probably take some heat for this, but I'm going to say it anyway. I sell to a male dominated customer base (IT, Telecom, some Facilities Managers) and I have noticed that females are somewhat more successful in opening doors than males. After the door IS open, their advantages tend to even out some. this leads me to believe that despite the best efforts of some, human nature almost always wins out.

Men, almost without fail, are initially attracted to a woman who shows interest in what he is doing. I am not sure the reverse is true. I think this is mostly because men and women are wired differently than one another.

Let the flaming begin. ;bg - by jrdickens
jrdickens

I hope no one flames anyone here. I really had second thoughts about posting my original comments for that very reason. So far it seems everyone has taken it as I intended.

The post by AZBroker I mentioned is what got my thoughts turning. I was simply looking for feedback on the qualities, such as the "intuition" I mentioned, that women have that we men do not ( and perhaps vice versa would be fair as well) that make them, in many cases, such great salespeople. - by Masteri5
I sell to a male dominated customer base (IT, Telecom, some Facilities Managers) and I have noticed that females are somewhat more successful in opening doors than males. After the door IS open, their advantages tend to even out some. this leads me to believe that despite the best efforts of some, human nature almost always wins out.
I think you are right about human nature and opening doors.

P.S. I watched a video clip yesterday where an attractive women in a min-skirt walked past two monks and the monks turned their heads to check her out. :hu - by Iceman
I know I'll probably take some heat for this, but I'm going to say it anyway. I sell to a male dominated customer base (IT, Telecom, some Facilities Managers) and I have noticed that females are somewhat more successful in opening doors than males. After the door IS open, their advantages tend to even out some. this leads me to believe that despite the best efforts of some, human nature almost always wins out.

Men, almost without fail, are initially attracted to a woman who shows interest in what he is doing. I am not sure the reverse is true. I think this is mostly because men and women are wired differently than one another.

Let the flaming begin. ;bg

I do believe in many cases women have the advantage , as men seem to be more receptive to "interest"- real or otherwise...but then I guess if we know how to "play the game", all's fair in love & sales ;st - by Renee
I do believe in many cases women have the advantage , as men seem to be more receptive to "interest"- real or otherwise...but then I guess if we know how to "play the game", all's fair in love & sales ;st
Some might think the qualities culturally associated with females such as empathy, co-operation, etc. would give women a natural advantage in sales but I haven't seen that to be the case. However, I can see how some women might have an initial advantage when approaching certain male prospects due to sexual attraction. - by BossMan
Interesting information Masteri5. How about the gender working in the beauty saloons. I mean some are gay. In fairness, they are very good in salestalk. Any good ideas in this issue? - by shinningstar
I do not think Gender has any basis when it comes to how well a sales person will be. Women have been conditioned to be more intouch with their emotional side than men have. But learning or even realizing that people buy because of emotional reasons over logic can be taught to anyone who is willing to learn.

One can argue that a group of men would prefer to listen to an atractive women, but one can also argue that same group of men would take a man more serious than they would a woman. If you have worked in an old boys club you would understand what I writting about.

There are advantages and disadvantages to both genders and to assume one person will do better just because of their gender is simply foolish and shows lack of inteligence. - by Jorel
People, men and women, are individuals. Grouping one sex together and making generalizations never panned out for me personally. :re
I agree with your comment Iceman - Well done - by Snowboy
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.