Home > Personal Selling > Giving out too much information over the phone.

Giving out too much information over the phone.

Right now I am fuming and could use some advice. I just hung up the phone with a fresh phone up who wanted to know the address of one of our manufactured home listings. Our company doesn't want us to give out information on location for many reasons. This guy tore into me about how crazy it was and couldn't understand why he couldn't just drive by the property to see if he even like the area. It ended pretty ugly because he got ****ed and so did I. What do you suggest I do next time? - by Thomas
Thomas

Frustrating, to say the least. Everyone who has taken a phone pop has been there. Based on your statement your company policy is to not give out the address. There are always pros and cons to that strategy. Do you know the reasons why your company does not give out address? Discuss that with a member of management and remember there are always two sides for every issue.

Having said that start by thinking about why people call. THEY WANT INFORMATION.

This may come as a surprise to you but most people call to eliminate you or your product. They want to reassure themselves that..."I told you it's too good to be true" (Companies don't advertise the highest price on the best products as a rule)

Or "Just what I figured"...because we tend to advertise low price, payments, etc. those products, or in your case, those properties are usually not in the high demand or most desireable area.

I think you can see where this is going. What you must do is be ready to provide an alternative experience. If they are calling you they are calling everyone else. For instance...

The customer called you about one of your properties. Think about your response to them. Did you press too early for personal information? (name, number, etc.) We have to earn the right to get that information. What did you provide to them about the property before you asked them for something?

When asked for information (based on the ad itself) did you ask the customer "what about the ad caught your attention?" Price? Payment? Color? Style? Location? Find out why they called.

Are you familiar with other properties that might be a good alternative to the one being advertised? One of the mistakes we make is in thinking people always buy the product, or property, they called about. Ads are designed to make the phone ring.

If you take time to provide information to your customer and engage them in a conversation about what is important to them they will "hear" you as different from your competitors.

It would take pages to explore this in depth and I am certain other members of this forum will have some great tips for you.

Good luck in your sales efforts. - by Masteri5
Do you know the reasons why your company does not give out address? Discuss that with a member of management and remember there are always two sides for every issue.
I know why they don't want us to give out locations and I don't blame them.

Having said that start by thinking about why people call. THEY WANT INFORMATION.

This may come as a surprise to you but most people call to eliminate you or your product. They want to reassure themselves that..."I told you it's too good to be true" (Companies don't advertise the highest price on the best products as a rule)

Or "Just what I figured"...because we tend to advertise low price, payments, etc. those products, or in your case, those properties are usually not in the high demand or most desireable area.
I didn't think about that. ;pi

I think you can see where this is going. What you must do is be ready to provide an alternative experience. If they are calling you they are calling everyone else. For instance...

The customer called you about one of your properties. Think about your response to them. Did you press too early for personal information? (name, number, etc.) We have to earn the right to get that information. What did you provide to them about the property before you asked them for something?

When asked for information (based on the ad itself) did you ask the customer "what about the ad caught your attention?" Price? Payment? Color? Style? Location? Find out why they called.

Are you familiar with other properties that might be a good alternative to the one being advertised? One of the mistakes we make is in thinking people always buy the product, or property, they called about. Ads are designed to make the phone ring.

If you take time to provide information to your customer and engage them in a conversation about what is important to them they will "hear" you as different from your competitors.
This is so helpful. Thank you. :thu - by Thomas
Thomas

Thanks.
Glad I was able to offer something of value.

Best of luck in your selling efforts. - by Masteri5
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.