Home > Social Influence > Posthypnotic Suggestion (Sales Hypnosis)

Posthypnotic Suggestion (Sales Hypnosis)

"Mrs. Jordan, you've been able to buy a beautiful home with the mortgage we have provided you. Now, as you run your errands later today, you may be able to think of some other ways our other financial services, such as checking and savings accouts, credit cards, and certificates of deposit, can help you. And, as you think of other ways we can help you, I want you to pick up the phone and call me. Ok?"
This passage quoted from "Unlimited Selling Power" by Donald Moine and Kenneth Lloyd is an example of posthypnotic suggestion in sales.

Have you ever used a similar technique? Would you? - by MagicMan
I haven't said anything like that to clients but I vaguely remember being told something like that by the appliance salesman. Huh... I forgot about that. ;bl - by AZBroker
It paints a picture and makes a suggestion but if anyone thinks it has anything to do with hypnosis doesn't know much about human behavior. It's just the power of suggestion. - by theglyphon
It paints a picture and makes a suggestion but if anyone thinks it has anything to do with hypnosis doesn't know much about human behavior. It's just the power of suggestion.
Can you give more detail on this? - by Milton
Putting people in a genuine hypnotic state (where they will do what you say even if they really didn't wan't to) is so difficult that many respectable psychologists say it effectively doesn't exist. However you can, under controlled settings with an actively cooperating suggestable person, mess with their head to a certain extent by effecting what they can remember and implanting impulses.

When it comes to a simple conversational exchange the best you can do is the power of suggestion, that is you suggest they do something and if they already want to do it, or don't mind and want to be obliging, they will. Even stage 'hypnotists' are essentially manipulating people though their general desire to please and oblige--and their own belief that they are being hypnotised. Under most settings people will tend to do what you say and there are ways to strengthen that tendency. It's just not kosher to pretend it is anything like a hypnotic state. - by theglyphon
When it comes to a simple conversational exchange the best you can do is the power of suggestion, that is you suggest they do something and if they already want to do it, or don't mind and want to be obliging, they will.
Are you familiar with the work of Milton Erickson? - by Milton
I'm not familiar with his work, but I am a psychologist and I don't tend to get past the first page of any book if the writer uses pseudoscience. Is Milton worth a look or more of the same?

ETA I see, psycho-linguistics, a it outside my area--I a behaviorist. But I should probably look more into this one of these days. - by theglyphon
I'm not familiar with his work, but I am a psychologist and I don't tend to get past the first page of any book if the writer uses pseudoscience. Is Milton worth a look or more of the same?
Milton Erickson was a psychiatrist/hypnotherapist and considered one of the best, if not the best, there ever was. Here is an easy link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milton_H._Erickson - by Milton
As far as I know he wasn't a psychiatrist, and NLP is a pretty quirky approach coming out of Freud, New Age thinking and such. Given that Erickson pretty much invented it I don't doubt he was the best at it, and like I say I never looked into it much. It's a fringe practice. - by theglyphon
As far as I know he wasn't a psychiatrist, and NLP is a pretty quirky approach coming out of Freud, New Age thinking and such. Given that Erickson pretty much invented it I don't doubt he was the best at it, and like I say I never looked into it much. It's a fringe practice.
From the link I provided:

Milton Erickson was... an American psychiatrist specializing in medical hypnosis and family therapy. He was founding president of the American Society for Clinical Hypnosis and a fellow of the American Psychiatric Association, the American Psychological Association, and the American Psychopathological Association.
- by Milton
I guess he was one, like I saw, I'd need to look into it more to have much of an idea. - by theglyphon
I guess he was one, like I saw, I'd need to look into it more to have much of an idea.
I don't expect everyone I meet to know about Milton Erickson. ;sm - by Milton
Putting people in a genuine hypnotic state (where they will do what you say even if they really didn't wan't to) is so difficult that many respectable psychologists say it effectively doesn't exist.
The hypnosis may trigger the powers of the imagination, but it will not overrule logic and reason... You can't and wouldn't want to hypnotize someone and tell them to buy a product they don't want or need. They won't buy it.
The sentences quoted above are from Chapter One of "Unlimited Selling Power" by Donald Moine and Kenneth Lloyd. - by MagicMan
Well, a hypnotic state can overule reason. If you hypnotise a person and tell them the number 8 no longer exists they will count their fingers and get 11, every time. (A freaky thing to see, I assure you). Even though reason tells them there must only be 10.

But I would be interested what exactly hypnosis is considered to be in this framework--and why it is termed hypnosis which has a public perception of being an altered state of awareness. - by theglyphon
I don't believe any authority on hypnosis would agree that through hypnosis you could get someone to do something against their will or belief system. - by Milton
Well, a hypnotic state can overule reason. If you hypnotise a person and tell them the number 8 no longer exists they will count their fingers and get 11, every time. (A freaky thing to see, I assure you). Even though reason tells them there must only be 10.

But I would be interested what exactly hypnosis is considered to be in this framework--and why it is termed hypnosis which has a public perception of being an altered state of awareness.
Your example of counting to 11 doesn't mean they forego reason, it means they're omitting the number 8 when they count. Foregoing reason would be to convince someone to do something they normally wouldn't do... like rob a bank. And there isn't a legitimate hypnotist alive that would agree something like this can be done. - by Coda1108
For-going reason to me would be asserting something irrational or impossible is true. In any case acting against conviction would be a seprate category. I think the whole thing has only come uop because the NLP people use the word 'hypnosis' is an extremely broad and general way to mean any stimulus that might effect a person's motivation or perception of the world. i.e. learning. - by theglyphon
For-going reason to me would be asserting something irrational or impossible is true. In any case acting against conviction would be a seprate category. I think the whole thing has only come uop because the NLP people use the word 'hypnosis' is an extremely broad and general way to mean any stimulus that might effect a person's motivation or perception of the world. i.e. learning.
Are you involved with NLP? - by Milton
Milton Erickson was and still is revered and absolutely considered the best.

Hypnosis is merely being in a stated of heightened focus and concentration.Such as watching a movie or driving.We all enter into these trance states many times throughout the day without even realizing it.

Stories are one of the most hypnotic tools in anybody's toolbag.Just think of how we all grew up being told all these fables and stories and when after the stories were finished we felt amazed,more curious,inspired,motivated, etc.

Milton Erickson was the best in story telling and often times was able to 'cure' people of their problems without directly guiding them into hypnosis. - by salesninja
I'd also have to recommend the book; How to Argue and Win Everytime, by Gerry Spence,a lawyer from Wy who in his career never lost a single case.

He talks about the power of story telling and how using descriptive word can convey emotion and in turn got the juries to decide in his favor everytime. - by salesninja
For you ney sayers of hypnosis and NLP I suggest you go to Youtube and search Derren Brown. I even have a video on my hard disk of him convincing people to rob a bank. Also look into the studies of how cults work. It is very powerful stuff. During my practioner training we were taught there are 4 levels of learning

1. unconscious incompetence - you don't even know it exist.
2. conscious incompetence - you know it exists but can't do it.
3. conscious competence - you know it exist and can do it.
4. unconscious competence - you know it exist and can do it with out much thought. example you tying a pair of shoes.

Most people are in level one and two when it comes to NLP and Hypnosis. But then again most people thought the world was flat at one time and that the sun revolved around the earth. - by Jorel
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.