Home > Advertising > Using Business Cards

Using Business Cards

Does it help your business a lot to use business cards? Do you leave several in various places of business or just hand them to people you meet?

I have ordered some business cards but haven't received them yet. I'm not sure how I intend to used them. How do you distribute your business cards? Are they worth the expense? - by ozzie
Ozzie,
How you use them really depends upon what line of work you're in. They're great to include in sales proposals, etc... Even better to have on you when you meet someone who is a potential networking connection.... And best of all to hand to people who will be able to give to their friends. For example, I recently moved and had such an incredibly great experience with the realtor, I asked him to give me a stack of his cards. I always carry 3 or 4 with me, just so I can pass one along to anyone I meet in the area who says they're interested in buying or selling a house. - by Coda1108
ozzie

Distributing business cards is a bit like standing at the edge of a pond and tossing a pebble in. You never know where the ripple will contact the shore.

Everyone wants to be "in the know". Let's use an example to illustrate.

You are at a convenience store. You give the clerk a business card. At some point the clerk is in a situation where someone is talking about the product you sell. Wanting to be "in the know" the clerk takes out your card and says, "Hey, I have a friend who does that."

Business cards are inexpensive. Leave one everywhere you go. You never know where it will turn up.

Best of luck in your selling efforts. - by Masteri5
To All

While replying to Ozzie about business cards I was reminded of a story I heard years ago. Do not know I can vouch for the validity but it makes an interesting point.

The story goes that Tom Monhan, founder of Domino's pizza, worked at the Detroit Tiger baseball games as a vendor. Before he opened Domino's the story says he ordered 50,000 business cards with the name Domino's Pizza, a logo and a phone number. According to the story he went to the upper deck and started throwing handfuls of these cards into the stands below. The rest is history. - by Masteri5
To All

While replying to Ozzie about business cards I was reminded of a story I heard years ago. Do not know I can vouch for the validity but it makes an interesting point.

The story goes that Tom Monhan, founder of Domino's pizza, worked at the Detroit Tiger baseball games as a vendor. Before he opened Domino's the story says he ordered 50,000 business cards with the name Domino's Pizza, a logo and a phone number. According to the story he went to the upper deck and started throwing handfuls of these cards into the stands below. The rest is history.
Wow, that's a wonderful story whether it's true or not. It also makes a very good point. I will be very liberal in passing out my cards and leaving some everywhere I go. Thanks a lot! - by ozzie
They're great to include in sales proposals, etc... Even better to have on you when you meet someone who is a potential networking connection.... And best of all to hand to people who will be able to give to their friends.
My thoughts exactly!

I know that many salespeople hand their cards out to anyone and everyone but that's not for me. - by AZBroker
what do you think of postcards? as a form of publicity...? instead of busiiness cards.

the only thing is..is that you cant fit them in your wallet...:S - by rox2006
what do you think of postcards? as a form of publicity...? instead of busiiness cards.

the only thing is..is that you cant fit them in your wallet...:S
If you're going to use postcards, I would suggest they direct someone to a website with a free report. As people sign up for the free report, you are developing a prospect mailing list.

Susan - by susana

the only thing is..is that you cant fit them in your wallet...:S
What would be an example of using postcards or business cards as a forum of publicity? - by AZBroker
If you were going to mail the postcards it could be pretty expensive. I always look at the back of postcards to see what it's all about. I think it would be an effective advertising campaign. - by ozzie
ozzie
I realize this thread is about the use of business cards so this might be somewhat off topic. After viewing several of your posts I see you are in Avon sales. You also indicate you are a senior.

Just a thought. Have you considered going to facilities where active seniors live and distributing your card and brochures? If it is permitted I would think you would have an advantage. You can contact lots more people in a concentrated area, you will have better rapport because you are "one of us" and most of these people thrive on visitation.

Best of luck always. - by Masteri5
ozzie

quick follow up to previous post.

I would offer to give "free make up" lessons to the residents. This may help you become a regular visitor. - by Masteri5
That's a wonderful idea! I am already planning on distributing brochures to the staff of the local nursing home where my mother-in-law is. The residents there wouldn't have easy access to their funds but the staff sure does.

We also have a residential facility for seniors and I will certainly contact their manager. Thanks so much for the idea! - by ozzie
I have business cards but I have only been handing them out to the people who ask for one or to clients after our meeting. :bl - by Thomas
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.