Home > Approach > Call Backs

Call Backs

Does anyone else have trouble making the all important call back to a prospective customer? Each time I leave a brochure with someone whose phone number I have, I am supposed to call them back before turning in my order.

A lot of people would rather call me if and when they need something, but I know we all get busy and so I'm supposed to call everyone. It's hard knowing that it is inconvenient and uncomfortable for them when they have to say no they don't need anything this time. It was always hard for me to say that to my Avon lady. - by ozzie
Does anyone else have trouble making the all important call back to a prospective customer? Each time I leave a brochure with someone whose phone number I have, I am supposed to call them back before turning in my order.
Oh my, this is absolutely the worst! I have this thing about not wanting to be a pest if I've already presented my product to the client... which of course is usually the kiss of death when selling something! One thing that helps me "get over it" is mentioning right away, if there's no instant sale, something like "Okay, well I'll check back with you in a week or two if that's alright with you." At least they know I'll be calling back. ;sm - by destiny
I like your idea destiny of setting up the next call. This way you're doing as you promissed versus being a pesky nuisance. - by AZBroker
Oh my, this is absolutely the worst! I have this thing about not wanting to be a pest if I've already presented my product to the client... which of course is usually the kiss of death when selling something! One thing that helps me "get over it" is mentioning right away, if there's no instant sale, something like "Okay, well I'll check back with you in a week or two if that's alright with you." At least they know I'll be calling back. ;sm
Yes, I let my customers know that I'll give them a call before I turn in my order but I still hate putting them on the spot like that. I'm doing this but I don't like doing this. I'm really not a great salesperson. With Avon it does a pretty good job of selling itself so that helps a lot. - by ozzie
I like your idea destiny of setting up the next call. This way you're doing as you promissed versus being a pesky nuisance.
;bg Thanks. Yes, that way if they start fussin' and cussin' I can remind them that I had asked for call-back permission. - by destiny
Yes, I let my customers know that I'll give them a call before I turn in my order but I still hate putting them on the spot like that. I'm doing this but I don't like doing this. I'm really not a great salesperson. With Avon it does a pretty good job of selling itself so that helps a lot.
You could always say, Do you mind if I follow up with you next Thursday? It's hard for someone to say 'No' and they're now expecting you to call.

Susan - by susana
That's a good suggestion Susan and I'm going to try it. I'm also named Susan. My cat is actually the one who is Ozzie. :) - by ozzie
I agree with that suggestion. I guess there are many ways to talk to your customers nicely. The most important is not to offend them. I've noticed you've done your job well. Keep it up!:thu - by shinningstar
I agree that's it's good to mention that you will be calling.

Also, I'd think most of them don't feel very uncomfortable when you call ozzie, because you don't seem pushy to me. That's my opinion based on your posts.

Have you had any awkward moments when they reacted to the call backs? - by Ricardo
I haven't had any awkward moments yet. I always try to let my customers know that it's ok not to order during this campaign. When I had an Avon Lady, I didn't order every time and I don't expect anyone else to.

I guess I just fear that someone will bite my head off for calling and pestering them. - by ozzie
"Does anyone else have trouble making the all important call back to a prospective customer? Each time I leave a brochure with someone whose phone number I have, I am supposed to call them back before turning in my order.

A lot of people would rather call me if and when they need something, but I know we all get busy and so I'm supposed to call everyone. It's hard knowing that it is inconvenient and uncomfortable for them when they have to say no they don't need anything this time. It was always hard for me to say that to my Avon lady." - Ozzie

Hey Ozzie,
I thought I would bring this post back to the fore.

I would use the theory of 1,2,3. When making a call back there is 3 vital steps you should consider in order not to offend anyone.

1. Say your name and ask for permission to proceed - "Hi its _____ from _____ do you have a moment to talk?
2. If they say yes - thank them - "Great, Firstly Thanks for letting me leave the brochure with you this afternoon and allowing me the time to show you our new range of _______"
3. Reason for Call. - "Did you get a chance to think about the make up package we spoke about.

If they say No at 1. ask for a convenient time to call back for them. If they don't give one - try to make a tentative one - "okay I understand you are busy at the moment, what I will do is call back at 10am tomorrow morning okay" - by Snowboy

A lot of people would rather call me if and when they need something, but I know we all get busy and so I'm supposed to call everyone. It's hard knowing that it is inconvenient and uncomfortable for them when they have to say no they don't need anything this time. It was always hard for me to say that to my Avon lady.
Callbacks are hard in part because your prospect may not be available.

The best plan is to complete your first contact with your prospect so that you'll have less callbacks. - by Wonderboy
The suggestions for setting up a return call are excellent.

But perhaps in addition, you should give yourself an attitude check.

Your role as a professional salesperson is not only to make a beneficial product available to your customer, but to persuade her to take advantage of those benefits. So, follow-up calls (announced or otherwise) should not be viewed as bothersome, but as a show of genuine, professional concern.

Remember, our prospect's time and attention is being demanded constantly by other forces, which allows them to quickly forget about us and our products/services. It is a professional courtesy to remind them periodically, so they can enjoy the desired benefit. - by dedenburn
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.