Home > Sales Promotion > Open House Party

Open House Party

It's been suggested by Avon that I hold an open house or grand opening displaying a lot of products that guests can purchase or sample. I'm thinking about it.

Does this kind of thing help sales or is it just a huge expense and a lot of work? - by ozzie
From what I've heard the home party plan can be an effective marketing method for Avon, Tupperware, and the like. - by Liberty
I know it worked well years ago. I remember having a few tupperware parties myself. I don't know if the busy women these days would take time out from their families to go to an Avon party. It seems that everyone is so short on time. - by ozzie
Does this kind of thing help sales or is it just a huge expense and a lot of work?
I'd have to say that it depends on the product. In your case, I'd think that it would be pretty vital to have some kind of product demonstration. Even in my own case, I can tell you that I haven't bought Avon products but probably would if I'd be able to actually smell the fragrances and see the cosmetics, etc. - by destiny
Companies like Avon, Longaberger, Tupperware, Pampered Chef and the like spend TONS of money figuring out what works and what doesn't. In addtion, they count on feedback from thier top marketers to help them define the "sales process". If they say to do it, then I would. - by TommyMac5
There is no reason to reinvent the wheel. Like TommyMac5 said these other companies have already determined what works and what doesn't. - by SpeedRacer
There is no reason to reinvent the wheel. Like TommyMac5 said these other companies have already determined what works and what doesn't.
I agree with this... Avon must know that people just won't buy cosmetics and fragrance without a demonstration/ sample. There will be repeat customers who already know the products, but there's a whole lot of people out there you'll want to introduce to the products for the first time. - by destiny
Ozzie does Avon provide training on how to conduct these home parties? - by Jolly Roger
Avon does provide a lot of training both online and in the manuals I received with my start-up kit.
Me, I would take as much training from Avon as I could get my hands on. Like someone said before why reinvent the wheel. Model the superstars and you can't help but succeed. - by Jolly Roger
Yes, I've taken 4 of the online tutorials already with about a dozen to go and have read both of the manuals. They provide me with a great online office to use with loads of information.

I'm slowly trying to absorb all of it. ha! - by ozzie
My wife has hosted and attended parties marketing decorative accents for around the home. I think all of the events that she was involved in were successful for the hostess.

I think in all her cases, the event started with a reasonably sized guest list of around 8 or 10 people. - by Ricardo
Hi Ricardo. ;sm The various parties I've attended over the years have also been a reasonable size of 8-12 people. That size is doable in a person's home.

Destiny and others, if you'd like samples, send me your mailing information. ;sm - by ozzie
I remember a loong time ago (when I used to ride my dinosaur to work), my wife and I attended a home party for Artwork Sales, oil paintings sold and mounted.

The woman that gave the demonstration was awsum. She was so personable, creative, perky, freindly and persuasive in a very non-threatening manner. This was when we had very little money, but we *still* bought 3 or 4 paintings. Well, my wife decided to sign up as a consultant, and when she had gotten her package, viola'!.. a script.

This woman had repeated the script verbatim!, every word of it!

We thought it was her winning personality, her bouncy, creative outlook on art and life - nooooooo it was a script!.. hahahaha. This woman had practiced it so often that it had become internalized, and it was totally natural.

Well, she made a ton, my wife didn't last however, because she *insisted* she could do better and ran the program her own way instead of the prescribed method and made her own variations of the script that never quite worked. She said the script they had given her didn't feel "natural, or her words", I insisted that it would become "natural" with enough practice.. ahh well.

I'm pretty sure the original consultant, that we stayed in touch with for a few years, is retired by now. You find the moral. :)

Tommy - by TommyMac5
I'm pretty sure the original consultant, that we stayed in touch with for a few years, is retired by now. You find the moral. :)

Tommy
Great illustration of effective scripts Tommy. :thu - by AZBroker
I haven't seen a lot of scripts but I have seen a lot of suggestions on how to do things to increase my sales.

One of those suggestions that I'm doing is having my own Avon website. According to Avon, it will create 75% more in sales. That hasn't happened for me yet, but I have had some online sales.

Now that the holidays are over, I will be giving a lot of thought to having an Avon party. - by ozzie
Avon Party? That's great Ozzie. :thu
It will surely increase your sales for this year. More Power to you! - by shinningstar
If I remember correctly about my wife's parties, there was a range of prices that included inexpensive items.

I think if anyone wanted to buy something simply to support the hostess, this allowed them to do that without spending much money.

But with about a dozen people, I think there always were sales of higher priced things that sold because they were attractive items, too. - by Ricardo
I guess I'll have to plan my party for the evening since so many women work during the day. Years ago all my friends were stay at home moms like myself but that has changed now. - by ozzie
Is a demonstration the same as a makeover? I don't know if it's the same thing. I would suggest doing a makeover on someone in the group. Have 3 tiers of products. Least expensive, mid level and most expensive. Try and put together a little kit of each. Blusher, lips stick eye shadow. If you get people to buy into the kits rather than 'onesies' 'twosies', you'll probably sell more.

Susan - by susana
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.