Home > Public Relations > Write Ups / Reviews

Write Ups / Reviews

For anyone interested... more great sources of publicity can be found in the form of "write ups" and/or "reviews" of you, your business, your website, etc.

Examples:
  • Evening News
  • Websites
  • Newspapers
  • Magazines
  • etc.
What does it take to get noticed? Sometimes all it takes is a request. I know of more than a few individuals whose websites were reviewed and featured in "USA Today" after they sent in a request to be reviewed. - by SalesGuy
I've also heard that it helps if you make it easy on the person doing the write up / review by providing the type of information he/she would normally have to dig for. - by Calvin
I've also heard that it helps if you make it easy on the person doing the write up / review by providing the type of information he/she would normally have to dig for.
I agree. All else being equal, the easier you can make it on the editor the better your chance of seeing your story in print. - by SalesGuy
I would imagine that if you can show an editor were others have also given you publicity that he/she would be that much more inclined to give go ahead with the write up/ review. ;) - by Gilbert
Getting to know journalists helps as well - they are always searching for interesting new stories. If you can keep putting a few interesting stories their way, they may well be interested in something new that you want to publicise.

I let one journo interview me about life in Japan, where I have lived, and later on he was interested in giving some free publicity to educational courses that I was promoting. - by telegraph.hill
So, if you're approaching a newspaper (or really any type of media) for a write-up or review, what information would you include? A cover letter and press release, or would you need something more? - by CarrieGee
I would say: press release, with covering email/letter and images.

I think it is generally done by email now.

If you get to know a journalist they will give you their card, so you can phone them to let them know of any new potential stories that you have. - by telegraph.hill
Thank you, telegraph.hill. I likely wouldn't have considered images, so that's a big help. - by CarrieGee
If there's a noticeable "hook" it can increase interest. Years ago I was a full time musician and a newspaper writer did a very short story on me.

He was asking questions that were pretty routine, until he heard that I also freelanced as a comedy writer. That became his hook, and he wrote something to the effect of "writer by day, musician by night."

That piece then led to another longer article and photo in another paper which cost me nothing. - by Ricardo
Does anyone here think it would be possible to have a small local newspaper do a write-up about my new business of selling Avon? There are a few other Avon Representatives in our area so I don't know.......... - by ozzie
Getting to know journalists helps as well - they are always searching for interesting new stories. If you can keep putting a few interesting stories their way, they may well be interested in something new that you want to publicise.

I let one journo interview me about life in Japan, where I have lived, and later on he was interested in giving some free publicity to educational courses that I was promoting.
I completely agree with this statement. I frequently write freelance pieces and am constantly on the lookout for new and exciting stories or slants. - by NetWriter
I think paid reviews does not work in these days. People have found that advertisers actually pay show up there reviews. - by mtajim
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.