Home > Cold Calling > The Winning Secret?

The Winning Secret?

About 22 years ago I worked for a Mega Corporation owned by one Rupert Murdoch. I'd seen their recruitment advert in the local newspaper which was headlined; "If you miss this you'll cry". Corny I know- but what the hell I thought, I'll give them a ring. I spoke to the recruiter, who asked me to come in. I went down, got the 5 minute instant start interview, and was intrigued to learn they wanted reps to sell Sky Cable TV door-to-door. The offer was to offer clients a 14 day free trial, if they accepted you got the equilivant of $48 dollars, or £25 pounds in real money. £25 just to sell a FREE 14 DAY TRIAL. I went home and said to my wife "You won't believe what they are doing", I had a quick cup of tea, then got straight out. Knock, Knock, - Knock Knock. Quick tip if you are knocking doors never ring the bell, don't use your knuckles to knock on the door, but use a COIN to tap on the door or door glass inserts.

Well it was like putting a greyhound on chasing rabbits in the park, order pad after order pad got completed, and the cheques started coming in. My routine was to leave home about 9.00am and work till 8.30pm, or UNTIL I had 25 orders for the day. If I had done just 21, then the next day the target was 29, and if I had had a bad week, meaning just 113 orders, then I had to work all day saturday to make up for being lax. My actual tabulated / published sales figures were 149 orders per week overall, of which 108 went in [were installed] and I was paid and received 108x£25=£2700.00 pw. About $5100 pw in dollars. Quick tip, to save breaking off by having to go into the office to collect the wage cheque, get someone to do it for you, in my case my wife, and always bank the cheque the same day [think about it] I had worked out that collecting the cheque myself would cost me about £200-00 in lost sales, and even worse BREAK MY CONCENTRATION FOR THE DAY.

I refuse to work in teams, try not to make sales team friends, and hate going out canvassing with others, you see you quickly learn they put THE MOKKERS on you, little things happen such as they don't turn up, get lost, discuss personal matters, and worst of all want to stop for tea, a break, to go to the toilet, or visit a pub, or pop into the bookmakers to put a bet on, or "they must phone the wife" - which in those days meant finding a pay-phone. And here's the best one they can't work after 3.0pm because they've promised to pick young Albert up from school. And they're not going to work afterwards because IT'S NOT WORTH IT.

During my time with this firm rumours flew around about me, the average sales person did about 24 deals PER WEEK, got paid for about 16 -18, and worked by my reckoning 2 days per week. I'm being generous here. Anyway, as you would expect, we had the inevitable big sales conference and your truly was going to speak, to give the Sermon on the Mount, they all knew that I had and used secret sales methods, knew secret magic words and rituals, and they all wanted to know what they were [actually I wanted to know what they were myself] so I stood up and said;" I leave our house at 9.0am, I finish at 8.30 pm, and my target is 25 deals per day, and if I haven't managed it, I work Saturdays and Sundays if need be, just to hit my target, and by the way I knock about 200 doors per day, thats approximately 1000 homes per week, and I both work and put in the hours.

I would like to end here by saying that cheering broke out, eveyone appeared wildly happy, but in truth - there was complete SILENCE. I wasn't exactly boo-ooed, but close enough. If anyone knows how to talk to, and train fellow team members will they please let me know, I'd love to be able to win friends and influence people [Bob] - by Incidentally
I would like to end here by saying that cheering broke out, eveyone appeared wildly happy, but in truth - there was complete SILENCE. I wasn't exactly boo-ooed, but close enough. If anyone knows how to talk to, and train fellow team members will they please let me know, I'd love to be able to win friends and influence people [Bob]
That's nuts. Give them what they want but it's not what they expected so you get silence? That deserves a Boo-ooe. ;wi - by AZBroker
Top sales reps have an hard time, because they are pointing out to other members of the sales force their shortcomings. Whats interesting for me is how many sales reps allow other activities to ruin their lives.

For instance being a sales rep is an opportunity to dissapear [often with another women] and have the perfect excuse to account for your absences. Nationwide you then need to add in the influence of drink, gambling, self indulgence, hobbies and partying. Most salesmen spend 25 hours a week on these unpaid activities. The best salewomen I ever met worked just 3 - 4 hours per day, she could certainly sell, but her other activities made her a non-starter. I once worked out that she lost about $2000 per week in unearned commission. Even so she earned approx 2000 dollars per week and this suited her fine. 1980 figures. I mentioned five vices, its not the vices themselves - but the time lost in pursuing these activities, the time, the travel, never mind the expense. Doctors would add in the damage to your health, but are ignored when they do so.

My first real sales job I went with an Old Scot named Drew McDonald, my could he sell, I learnt from him we finished at 6pm. not 5, not 4, not 3 pm, but 6.pm. A real gent, but born about 1900, and by todays standards pre-historic. We hawked mining villages, and Drew was keen on earning as much as he could. - by Incidentally
Whats interesting for me is how many sales reps allow other activities to ruin their lives.

For instance being a sales rep is an opportunity to dissapear [often with another women] and have the perfect excuse to account for your absences. Nationwide you then need to add in the influence of drink, gambling, self indulgence, hobbies and partying. Most salesmen spend 25 hours a week on these unpaid activities.
One of the best salesmen I ever met was like that. When he was in the house it was like magic. When he wasn't in the house he was either at the track or partying. - by AZBroker
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.