Home > Jobs > working for a new company

working for a new company

Hi, I am in the job market now and found a few offers from larger well established companies and an offer from a smaller recruiting firm that looks like they been around since the beginning of this year. Out of all the jobs, the small firm seems to be so far the one that's best fit as far as job responsibilities, they essential recruit engineers and accountants for medium to large businesses. My experience with larger corporations have not been good for me, although I made good money with them, the corporate politics in both jobs i had with large companies screwed me over and I find smaller companies to be a bit more fun to work with, however i do question the stability of a company if they have not been around for very long. The position offers base pay plus commission so the offer is good and the suite looks well established, nice and clean with a few small business awards from the owners previous company. I just don't want to get myself into a situation where it is so difficult to succeed because a business is so new and does not have the same resources as a larger business. Just seeing who has some thoughts on that. Thanks. - by halidon
Assuming that your going to be in sales, then you need to examine the product carefully, ask yourself would I buy this, do I have the confidence to push this in an energetic manner, and am I going to have the confidence to drop everything, even friendship/s obligations to get this into space. To launch it. Only you can answer these questions.

Now lets look at the boss, does he look as if he would help you, help old grannies over the road, and be decent and human, because if he's not then your relationship with him [and indirectly the firm] will soon flouder. In life your the card dealer and you throw the call. - by Incidentally
I just don't want to get myself into a situation where it is so difficult to succeed because a business is so new and does not have the same resources as a larger business. Just seeing who has some thoughts on that. Thanks.
What resources are lacking with the new company? Is there already a demand for the service you'll be providing? - by Marcus
I am working for a large company now for the first time. Prior to this job, I always worked for small companies and really liked it. It seemed to suit me well at the time. - by ozzie
I know someone who recently left a very toxic division of a large firm. She looks noticeably less stressed since the change.

She's currently working on a contract basis for a smaller organization and pleased to be gone from the former company. - by Ricardo
I have been part of sooooooo many sales jobs, and I have ALMOST been part of soooo many businesses starting off. Not to say that either is more reputable than the other, but you do need to evaluate the sincerity of the interest that this smaller company could be showing to you. Does it seem like they want you to make a good thing better? Or does it seem more like they just need as many bodies as possible and just weed out the weak performers?
If you are not careful....you could end up in a position where the employer could be telling you "what you want to hear" in order for you to take part in this chaotic numbers game that a great deal of businesses starting out take part in.

All I am saying is.....usually, if it seems to be too good to be true...it usually is. Untill you are shown "the whole picture" by the prospective future employer.....then don't assume that it is as "incredible" as they would try to make it seem.

Once you can understand the downfalls to the company as well.....you will not be able to fully evaluate its potential.;sm

GOOD LUCK!
-David - by truesaxman
...Out of all the jobs, the small firm seems to be so far the one that's best fit as far as job responsibilities, they essential recruit engineers and accountants for medium to large businesses. My experience with larger corporations have not been good for me, although I made good money with them, ...

... I just don't want to get myself into a situation where it is so difficult to succeed because a business is so new and does not have the same resources as a larger business. Just seeing who has some thoughts on that. Thanks.
I think you have hit the nail on the head. It is not a question of the size of the company so much as it is the availability of the resources to do your job. Is the small company enjoying success already, or are they relying on a new person to come in and make the comany successful? If they are already succeeding, they must have the available resources.

Another issue you might consider in a small company is how much responsibility you will have. Typically, in a smaller company, each person carries more responsibility than large companies. This can impact the amount of time you spend with your family and, if they aren't prepared for this, could serve to undermine it.

There are definite advantages to small comanies too. If you are successful, you may be appreciated more in a small company than in a large one. If the company is successful and grows into a larger company, you were there to help it get established. That can provide you with a great deal of security inthe future.

Ultimately, you will have to choose which you are more comfortable with. Good luck to you and your family. - by rlabston
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.