Home > Personal Selling > Best approach

Best approach

I have a low-cost ($199) internet advertising product that I want to market to local small businesses. Because I have priced this product so affordably, I cannot afford a long drawn-out sales process that involves extensive hand holding and "cultivating," I am looking more for a one-two punch. Is it unrealistic to try to get a sale (even such a small one) on an impromptu, initial visit? Any suggestions for stategy? - by RainMaker
IMO, with the right product and presentation a $199 isn't unreasonable at all. For instance, if I visited a software sight that offered a product I was looking for as long as the sight seemed reputable and my purchase was safe I wouldn't hesitate to buy online. - by Gilbert
Yes, I would too. But let's suppose you weren't on the market for my product (specifically), but I walked through your door (as a local rep) with a short, to-the-point presentation about how our website can bring you business or your money back. Do you think you would try it then? - by RainMaker
IMO, when the desire is high and the risk is low anything is possible. ;) - by SalesGuy
Thanks for the encouragement, SalesGuy! Someone told me that when you walk into a business cold, you only have 30 seconds and will not walk out with a sale, but because I know that I will never be able to excite sales reps into a $100 initial commission per sale unless the sale is quick and easy, I am trying to prove them wrong. I have not sufficiently tested my approach, but because I don't have much outside side sales experience, personally, it is diffiecult to know if my results would be typical. Thus, my probing of the pros....Thank you. - by RainMaker
RainMaker, I used to sell "Management Services" to small business owners. I'd walk in to the business cold and convince the owner, on the spot, that it was in his/her best interest to pay our company $250 to have one of our analysts come in to evaluate [judge] how the company is being ran. Talk about resistance! My point... like Salesguy said, "When the desire is high and the risk is low anything is possible." - by Jackie
Thank you, Jackie, that is EXACTLY what I am trying to do! If you don't mind, I have 3 questions for you: 1). How much was your compensation on the $250 sale (if you don't mind me asking) 2). As a rep, could you make enough sales to make it worthwhile (I've had some people tell me its not worth it for such a small sale)and 3) Did you consider a sale to be dead if you didn't close it on the spot or did you follow up on ones that wouldn't cut a check? - by RainMaker
Thanks Everyone for your input. This is very helpful to me. - by RainMaker
Thank you, Jackie, that is EXACTLY what I am trying to do! If you don't mind, I have 3 questions for you: 1). How much was your compensation on the $250 sale (if you don't mind me asking) 2). As a rep, could you make enough sales to make it worthwhile (I've had some people tell me its not worth it for such a small sale)and 3) Did you consider a sale to be dead if you didn't close it on the spot or did you follow up on ones that wouldn't cut a check?
I've thought about and I believe the sale was $500 not $250 and I received $400 of that.

For this particular company that was the only sale available so a rep either made enough money or they went elsewhere.

Personally, I considered the deal dead but that probably wasn't always the case. This viewpoint helped me take maximum advantage of the time I was given and prevented me from any false hope of future deals. - by Jackie
Thanks, Jackie. That was quite helpful. On my first day of testing out my sales technique, I gave 6 brief presentations and didn't make a sale. I was a little disappointed because I didn't think it would be that hard to get a measly $199 out of a business for an advertising product that offers a 100% money back guarantee if they don't get results!

I am evaluating whether to: a) modify my presentation b) spend a few more days out in the field to see if the numbers get better with volume (and experience) or 3) try a different prospecting method altogether.

I assumed a deal was dead if I walked out the door without a check and was not going to waste my time with follow up phone calls to these "stallers." Then much to my surprise, 2 days later one them called ME and asked me to return so he could buy. This unexpected twist really messed with my