Home > Personal Development > My biggest tip

My biggest tip

My biggest tip in terms of personal development is to consider this. 'Sales person' is what you do, it may not be good to have it be what you 'are'.

I see a lot of salespeople get very gung ho and soon they are using all their techniques on their family, parnters, neighbors... and not realising how tedious this can be for people because people who like you will be polite about it for way too long.

At home you are husband, son, parent or whatever role you fill and you already know how to do that. So learn how to 'turn it off'.

At least that's what I feel. - by theglyphon
As a person, it's very important to know how to separate work from personal obligations. It's another way of making yourself flexible. I learned myself not to carry problems at home in the office but sometimes I can't control myself. - by shinningstar
Glyphon, you're right on the money in my opinion. Personally, I DREAD going to an event, family or personal, to find out someone I know has begun selling life insurance, and my night out quickly goes from catching up with old friends, to talking about how much life insurance I have, and how do I feel about load vs. no-load funds.

I'm not writing this to offend anyone. On the contrary. The best thing ever said to me by someone who went into this line of work was "I'm not going to be the stereotypical insurance salesman. You know me as a person, you know what I do, and you know how to reach me. Right now, let's just have some fun. If you want to talk about your insurance needs, call me during the week."

This made it clear he would appreciate my business, but also that he wasn't going to be a nuisance. - by Coda1108
"I'm not going to be the stereotypical insurance salesman. You know me as a person, you know what I do, and you know how to reach me. Right now, let's just have some fun. If you want to talk about your insurance needs, call me during the week."
I'm going to remember that one. ;wi - by AZBroker
My biggest tip in terms of personal development is to consider this. 'Sales person' is what you do, it may not be good to have it be what you 'are'.

I see a lot of salespeople get very gung ho and soon they are using all their techniques on their family, parnters, neighbors... and not realising how tedious this can be for people because people who like you will be polite about it for way too long.

At home you are husband, son, parent or whatever role you fill and you already know how to do that. So learn how to 'turn it off'.

At least that's what I feel.
I honestly believe that sales is one of THE most important tasks that takes place in the world........

Think about about it............the global economy would colapse and the world would go into total anarchy if everyone stopped selling...........

You're right tho, what we do as a job shouldn't be where we get our sence of identity from........ - by Tony Dunne
As a result of reading this thread, I'm wondering if it's considered a bad idea to attempt to sell your products or services to relative. I've been doing that and it has worked well so far. I did have one person contact my company and let them know that they didn't want to receive any more of my "special offer" emails. I wish they had just told me. This was a very close relative. - by ozzie
Next 5 Years? « Prev | Next » Purpose V Goals
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.