Home > Management > Home Office?

Home Office?

When you're working at home, do you have a very defined "office" or does your work spill over into other rooms with the help of cordless phones and wireless laptops?

I spend time in both worlds. - by Ricardo
I don't really have the space for a home office but it is probably just as well. Sure, things get disorganised and I can get distracted, but I do want to keep a balance and when I am at home I want to be in contact with my family to some degree. I don't want to be the guy locked away that no one ios allowed to 'bother'.

I also find that I can actually work on things like paperwork better at home without calls coming in (cell phone goes to message service when I am home unless there is somethng urgent on). So I try and arrange to do contact work at work, then tidy up the forms and records at home in the livingroom.

Thank God for laptops, it makes things a lot easier. There was a time I'd be working 60+ hours a week and most of them in the office, but a littkle organising and a good laptop help get that down to something reasonable. - by theglyphon
When we built our house we included a home office. Occassionally I'll take the laptop out into the living room to work on something but I prefer to work at my desk. - by Houston
I actually have three areas of work. One is the desk, desktop computer and file cabinet which are in the den. Another is a small table next to my favorite chair in the living room. This is where I keep my brochures and demo flyers for browsing while watching tv. The third is my "Avon Station" as I like to call it. This is located on one end of our kitchen. It's near the phone so that I can take down orders. This is where I keep all my current ordering and delivery stuff as well as my stock of products. It's actually an antique dry sink and works well for this purpose. - by ozzie
My PC is just inside my room. I have my own table for my paperworks and office stuffs. My room is not too big so I need to occupy all space. So far it's in proper order now. - by shinningstar
Before I grew into needed separate office space, I had one room in my house dedicated as my office. It was excellent for the purpose of organization. AND, when I was ready to move into a separate office space, everything was easy to move. - by Coda1108
When you're working at home, do you have a very defined "office" or does your work spill over into other rooms with the help of cordless phones and wireless laptops?

I spend time in both worlds.
I've worked from home for 15 years. My office is on the 3rd floor of my house. If I'm working on the weekend, I'll bring my laptop downstairs, but I prefer to do work in the office.

Susan - by susana
I have a file cabinet, printers, bookshelves and desktop computer in our solarium.

But for a change, sometimes I'll spend some time with the laptop on the dining area table or coffee table. - by Ricardo
I have a file cabinet, printers, bookshelves and desktop computer in our solarium.
But for a change, sometimes I'll spend some time with the laptop on the dining area table or coffee table.
I have an office space with desk/computer, bookshelves, filing cabinet, and comfortable seating. I only use the laptop when I'm on vacation and I don't like it. One time I actually packed up the desktop and monitor to take it with me to New York. Notice I said "one time" .... what a pain! - by destiny
A home office is quite important, even if you donít use it all of the time. Setting aside a room or space for work helps keep you in a working mood when you need to do any sort of business at home. My home office is used not only for my current job, but also for my writings, paying of bills, etc. I try to keep only work related things in the office, excepting for a few decorations, and these reflect the sorts of things I might put into a corporate office if I were to have one. Further, while I might sit in the living room rocking chair or even the bed before I turn out the lights so that I can read a bit or sort a few files, I endeavor to keep work items only in my office. This separates home from work, and I have found both environments benefit from this.

Best of luck!
Bill - by Bill_Kistner
Currently, my "home office" is my computer desk in my living room. I am spending 99% of my free time at this desk doing research on the business opportunity I'm pursuing. Since the desk sits at one end of the couch, a few papers have taken over one cushion to keep them at hand.:bl

I tend to review the current day's print outs in bed just before I fall asleep, but they manage to get back to their correct spot the next morning.:in

Pam - by LadySmith
Thats great, working from home is really a dream come true, you make money sitting right from your bedroom . But many people think that people working from home have no work to do as they sit whole day in their home. - by mtajim
Thats great, working from home is really a dream come true, you make money sitting right from your bedroom . But many people think that people working from home have no work to do as they sit whole day in their home.
It's true that many people think that way but we know they are very wrong. I manage to do my work while also doing my laundry and cooking. I think that constitues doing two different jobs while those who leave home to work are usually doing one. - by ozzie
My business machine is a laptop. I have a home office, and I use the laptop on a switch with my home desktop so that I can use the keyboard/monitor. I either work there, or I work at the dining room table. I have two young kids, so it's more convenient to have the laptop in the dining room so that I can monitor the kids while doing light work, or check email every so often if I'm playing with the kids. My business phone is my cell phone, so that just goes with me wherever I'm working. - by skristoff
The office I was renting was just sold and everyone has to be out by the end of the month so I'm considering my options. A home office or virtual office is sounding better and better. - by Liberty

I spend time in both worlds.
Ricardo, I must admit that I only have limited experience in the "workfrom home" side of things. However I have recently landed an appointment which means I work from home for quite a while. I have noticed though that I only perform really well when I seperate the 2. I don't let my work spill over.

Your thought? - by Snowboy
Can't help you with that one - by EmmaC
When we built our house we included a home office. Occassionally I'll take the laptop out into the living room to work on something but I prefer to work at my desk.
I agree with you Houston. - by Jabber
I myself find that I work better as long as I have my laptop and a quite area. In saying that though I have great pleasure in sitting down in front of the TV on the weekends on the couch with the laptop on my legs doing some work while ad breaks are on. This way the time flies and it doesn't really feel like work at all.

In the comfort of my own home works for me. - by Jabber
I think there is nothing wrong with working at home and I too at times work at home. The only thing that sometimes I find is the process of demotivation (no one looking over your shoulder) and the distractions of what is goin on. Scott H Young has a great theory on this and has constructed a 20 ways - to stay productive while working at home. - by Snowboy
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.