Home > Prospecting > Prospect organization & maximizing leads

Prospect organization & maximizing leads

I'm looking for input on how everyone manages their prospects. What organizational method do you use to keep track of contact info. Not only how you manage the names and phone numbers, but after you've made initial contact and are given follow up instructions (ie: Decision maker only comes in on Wed mornings, follow up with new owner in 6 weeks, call back in 2 days, etc...). How do you maximize this information to make the most effective use of this contact information and follow through? - by RainMaker
Hey Jeffrey, when I click on this thread I don't see my post. Is this one still up? - by RainMaker
Hey Jeffrey, when I click on this thread I don't see my post. Is this one still up?
I don't understand the question. - by Jeff Blackwell
I apologize, but it must be something peculiar to my computer. When I click on the thread, it shows my name only, but no post, which is odd because I know I have been able to see my own posts previously. That, combined with the fact that no one responded made me wonder if it was viewable. I just logged onto my other computer and the post shows normally, so I don't know why I can't view the post, but it seems to be a peculiarity on my end. Sorry for the confusion. - by RainMaker
I apologize, but it must be something peculiar to my computer.
Have you done a adware/malware/virus check? - by Prospector
I began to realize that text was missing from other programs, as well. Several reboots seem to have cleared it up. It is time to run a check. Thanks for the good advice. - by RainMaker
No suggestions out there?? - by RainMaker
No suggestions out there??
I guess we must of lost a few members on the latest server crash. :eek:

Personally, we developed our own custom web application. ;) - by Jeff Blackwell
If you're asking about software we use an older version of ACT! - by SpeedRacer
Our contact management software has "follow-up" built in. Basically, once the client is entered into the system you are asked about follow-up dates.

Our software is custom too. - by WobblyBox
Thanks, Speedy, I think I will try give the free trial of ACT a try. I've got business cards with little notes scribbled on them scattered all over my desk! - by RainMaker
I've got business cards with little notes scribbled on them scattered all over my desk!
Old School. :p - by Houston
I'm looking for input on how everyone manages their prospects. What organizational method do you use to keep track of contact info?
I believe that the organizing principle of an effective prospect tracking system focuses on giving you the ability to identify your short term future or immediate sales. In other words, you should be able to predict your sales in a fairly reliable manner.

Because of that belief, I keep things rather simple for myself. For instance, when I see a prospect for the first time, I have only a yellow legal pad in my hand. Based on the results of that meeting, I will transfer follow-up action dates to my planner/calendar which I keep in my car. That in itself would reveal that the prospect is live. I use a card file system and I make a card out for each live prospect containing the minimum information I need for contact.

Back at the office, I will assign my cards to a board that contains five categories. They are:

O--Opportunities (leads, targets, or referrals, yet to be called.)

FA--First Appointments. Appointment set but I've not seen.

25%--Met at least once. Estimated 25% chance of finalizing in a month or two.

50%--50% chance of closing within a month or so.

90%--90% chance of closing within one or two weeks.

Nobody gets into my hard drive except for order entry.

Again, the ability to identify business and opportunities is the driving force of my orgaization system

I did not invent that prospect board system. I credit Stephan Schiffman in his book High Efficiency Selling for the ideas. - by Gary Boye
Thank you, Gary. It is now several months after my original post and I AM STILL not automated in my