Home > Prospecting > Sales Prospecting Basics

Sales Prospecting Basics

Hi Everyone:

I'm new at sales, representing insurance products I really believe in. Here's my problem. My target - employers who will payroll deduct premium for their employees and provide access - have been hit repeatedly by new agents for years ....

How do I differentiate myself and get appointments with the prospects?

Any advice is welcome!
Thanks - by Chris
My target - employers who will payroll deduct premium for their employees and provide access - have been hit repeatedly by new agents for years.?
IMO, this is more of a problem in the salesperson's mind than the prospects.

Sell yourself first. - by SpeedRacer
Good put, I am still learning to keep my mind in the game. I'll take that input to heart. - by Chris
Hi Chris, I agree that others coming before you shouldn't be a problem.

IMO, if you can get your prospects "interest" up front you should get a fair hearing. ;) - by WobblyBox
Wobbly - there's the rub - because many have come before, they think they already know what I have to say and offer.
I think my challenge is in selling myself well enough to get their initial interest.
Thanks - by Chris
Wobbly - there's the rub - because many have come before, they think they already know what I have to say and offer.
That's what we call "Prejudice" and it happens all the time.

I think my challenge is in selling myself well enough to get their initial interest.
Exactly! This is why "pretty girls" do so well selling to the average male. ;) [no offense to any members] - by WobblyBox
Chris,

I am walking through the door of small businesses whose pockets have been vacuumed clean by every fancy advertising salesman before me, so here is my lead in: "Hi my name is ____ and I'm with ___ and we provide blah blah blah [one sentence summary]. I know hundreds of people have come through your door READY to sell you advertising [they usually smirk and nod], so I want to tell you three ways that I'm different:..." I then give them my best 2 shots and #3 [ok, don't laugh...] I hold up a timer and promise them to cover all the main points in 5 minutes because I know their time is valuable AND I give them a free listing on our website regardless of whether they buy or not, to say thank you for considering our product.

Some will always dismiss you (no matter how pretty you are! ha ha), but If you find the right thing to say, some will listen and of those...some will buy. - by RainMaker
Some will always dismiss you (no matter how pretty you are! ha ha), but If you find the right thing to say, some will listen and of those...some will buy.
I agree. This is where "timing" can come into play. Some days some people are more open than others. ;) - by Houston
How do I differentiate myself and get appointments with the prospects?Thanks
I would make my first contact a free report.

I think it's important that we don't ask for the sales until they are ready to give it to us without asking. You can use this method to fill your pipeline and then I can stay in touch.

I also suggest to sales professionals to set up their own lead generation websites which collect names into their own databases. Remember, these prospects are yours, not the company's.

This is what I use for first contact. It may help a bit. It certainly works quite well.

“Frustrated with Traditional Cold-Calling, Pavement-Pounding, Door-Knocking Prospecting Grunt Work?” “Ready to Have Business Come to You?”

Dear Fellow Entrepreneur,

We have just released an interesting Executive Briefing entitled “Seven Business Development Lunacies that Grind Companies to the Ground.”
This Executive Briefing is free. To obtain your copy, go to our website at www.sales-marketing-system.com.

Raise your sights! Blaze new trails. Compete with the immortals!
Tom “Bald Dog” Varjan, SMS Consulting Group

PS: Please note this is a one-off message. We notify you about this Executive Briefing, knowing how much difference and exhilaration good effortless prospecting could make to your business. - by Bald Dog
Hi Everyone:

I'm new at sales, representing insurance products I really believe in.
Any advice is welcome!
Thanks
Hi Chris. Why do you "really believe in" your products? In the answer will lie the solution to how to differentiate yourself. - by tessa
Hi Everyone:

I'm new at sales, representing insurance products I really believe in. Here's my problem. My target - employers who will payroll deduct premium for their employees and provide access - have been hit repeatedly by new agents for years ....

The way you differentiate yourself is by being different.

With your question, you have indicated that you are not like most of those other new agents. That is because you want to get appointments with "...employers who will payroll deduct premium for their employees and provide access..."

Most of those other agents want to get appointments with any employer in hopes of persuading and convincing them to buy payroll deduction products. If you add additional disqualifiers you will further differentiate yourself from them. - by JacquesWerth
The way you differentiate yourself is by being different.

With your question, you have indicated that you are not like most of those other new agents. That is because you want to get appointments with "...employers who will payroll deduct premium for their employees and provide access..."

Most of those other agents want to get appointments with any employer in hopes of persuading and convincing them to buy payroll deduction products. If you add additional disqualifiers you will further differentiate yourself from them.
Had I learned what JW posted relating to Chris years ago I'd be better off today and much more successful. Anyone taking Jacques's research and conclusions to heart can be very successful.

Knowing what/who you want rather than anyone who fogs a mirror produces a selling environment that is clearly free of stress, high blood pressure, and loss.

I don't have experience in big selling situations as many do nor have I been in sales most of my life, so I can't speak to them. But in my business I've eliminated persuading and convincing - until I catch myself slipping back into bad habits and have to self correct - and life is much better. - by MitchM
Sales Leads « Prev | Next » Call Reluctance
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.