Home > Personal Selling > Skills: Sales vs. Marketing

Skills: Sales vs. Marketing

If you could only possess one or the other [as much as that is possible] which would you choose; Sales Skills or Marketing Skills? - by Mikey
If by "Marketing Skills" you mean "Lead Generation Skills" then I would say Marketing over sales. - by Prospector
I say sales skills, because no matter what line of work you do you will have to do a certain about of selling. All the marketing in the world won't help you if when it comes time to actually sell your product or service you can't close the deal. - by Doc MC
IMO, "lead generationg" skills are the most important. No matter how well you can sell if there is nobody to sell to you're out of luck. Whereas if you didn't have any sales skills at all but had plenty of prospects sooner or later you're going to make a sale. - by Gilbert
No matter how well you can sell if there is nobody to sell to you're out of luck. Whereas if you didn't have any sales skills at all but had plenty of prospects sooner or later you're going to make a sale.
I have seen a lot of salespeople whose sales skills left a lot to be desired yet who still made a lot of money because of they had contacts and their product or service for the most part sold itself. - by Newbie
IMO, "lead generationg" skills are the most important. No matter how well you can sell if there is nobody to sell to you're out of luck. Whereas if you didn't have any sales skills at all but had plenty of prospects sooner or later you're going to make a sale.
I can agree with this. ;) - by SpeedRacer
I'm inclined to agree with Gilbert & SpeedRacer on that point. - by RainMaker
Prospecting [Marketing] Skills. ;) - by SalesGuy
Prospecting [Marketing] Skills. ;)
Wow, and this coming from a SalesGuy!:p - by Doc MC
Wow, and this coming from a SalesGuy!:p
I agree with Prospector;

"If by "Marketing Skills" you mean "Lead Generation Skills" then I would say Marketing over sales."

No prospects means no prospect of selling, Prospector.;) [Say that three times fast :p ] - by SalesGuy
If you could only possess one or the other...
I think that's the toughest question I've seen posted here. It's so hypothetical because obviously we would want to possess both. However, I have seen too many successful people who were natural marketers that did not have good sales skills. On the other hand I've seen a lot of skilled "sales technicians" who lacked marketing skills. These are people who communicate well, and have a working knowledge of the presentation and sales process. Many of them are underearners. So I'm convinced that marketing skills are more valuable.

My definitions might not be shared by all: Marketing is finding people who want what you offer. Selling is conversation. - by Gary Boye
If you could only possess one or the other [as much as that is possible] which would you choose; Sales Skills or Marketing Skills?
Hi Mikey
Sales skills hands down in my view. You could spend lots of $$$$$ and time marketing and attracting prospects, but if you can't convert them to clients (i.e. sell), then you will go broke in a flash. - by tessa
Sales skills hands down in my view. You could spend lots of $$$$$ and time marketing and attracting prospects, but if you can't convert them to clients (i.e. sell), then you will go broke in a flash.
Thank you Tessa, I was begining to think I was taking crazy pills,:confused: being the only other person who thinks selling is more important. - by Doc MC
Thank you Tessa, I was begining to think I was taking crazy pills,:confused: being the only other person who thinks selling is more important.
Yikes, and here I go adding fuel to the fire. :eek:

IMO, for most industries the ability to generate high quality leads is more important than the typical sales skills of "qualify, present, close." - by Jolly Roger
I have seen too many successful people who were natural marketers that did not have good sales skills. On the other hand I've seen a lot of skilled "sales technicians" who lacked marketing skills. These are people who communicate well, and have a working knowledge of the presentation and sales process. Many of them are underearners. So I'm convinced that marketing skills are more valuable.

My definitions might not be shared by all: Marketing is finding people who want what you offer. Selling is conversation.
Gary, I couldn't agree more as I'm one of those individuals who find it incredibly against my grain to "sell" rather than "market". I agree with your definition of marketing as finding people who want what you offer. As a realtor, that's precisely what my goal is. If the fit works, then I'm satisfied. If the person doesn't initially recognize the fit, that's where I might kick in the "sales" part of my job. But in any case, it's a soft sell since I don't view myself as a salesperson at all. Am I completely contradicting myself?:confused: - by Irene Morales Ward
Gary, I couldn't agree more as I'm one of those individuals who find it incredibly against my grain to "sell" rather than "market". ...... But in any case, it's a soft sell since I don't view myself as a salesperson at all. .?:confused:
Hi Irene

I get the sense you don't like selling or to view yourself as a salesperson.

I have recently written an article called "How to Change From Hating Selling To Loving It."
It's on my web site under "FREE Stuff - Articles".
Thought you might be interested in reading it.

It's all in the perspective!

Tessa
http://www.salesconversation.com/ - by tessa
Hi Irene

I get the sense you don't like selling or to view yourself as a salesperson.
Tessa,

Thanks so much for the resource. Yes, I'm afraid I'm one of those that you've described on your home page about having stereotypes associated with "salespeople". I'll certainly look into your site to find another perspective - that's why I'm at this forum!

Incidentally, I don't mean any disrespect or to be condescending in any way to people that work in sales. I have the utmost respect for those that do it well and admire their ability to do so. I just haven't found that what I do and/or the way in which I do it is best described as a "salesperson". Perhaps I'm just being naive. - by Irene Morales Ward
Tessa,
....one of those that you've described on your home page about having stereotypes associated with "salespeople". I'll certainly look into your site to find another perspective - that's why I'm at this forum!...
Some comments on this discussion:

The replies so far seem to weigh in favor of marketing as the more desired skill. The question was an hypothesis: If we had to choose one skill over the other. We don't have to.

What has been demonstrated here, to the credit of the participants, is objectivity--very rare in discussions of this sort. I think some have set aside their passion for selling to simply give a thoughtful opinion.

I didn't visit Tessa's site and I was hoping she could offer us a couple of snippets on the subject right here on this thread. However the "stereotypes associated with salespeople" are reality--and they are reality we have to live with--jusy like doctors must live with the rising cost of insurance. We salespeople can't have it all.

On that subject, I'll offer something coincidental. I had occasion a couple of days ago to seek out some graphics or public domain clipart on selling. I went to the Alta Vista search engine, and typed "salesman" and hit images. Try it yourself. The majority of the graphics that came up were grotesque representations.

That's reality. But it is counterbalanced by the realization of most people, including those souls who would stereotype rather than think, that our culture, our economy, and our a way of life needs us salespeople--and couldn't very well exist without us.

Maybe it is that very dependency on us that breeds the resentment which manifests itself in stereotyping. - by Gary Boye
Maybe it is that very dependency on us that breeds the resentment which manifests itself in stereotyping.
Excellent point...the classic love-hate relationship...love to hate them, hate to love them!:D - by Irene Morales Ward
I went to the Alta Vista search engine, and typed "salesman" and hit images. Try it yourself. The majority of the graphics that came up were grotesque representations.
Google doesn't like car salesmen :confused: I'm appalled! Thanks for pointing me there Gary, never thought to search those terms. I could have went the rest of my life without seeing a few of those salesmen!

I think professional sales people who have been in the industry a while look at changing the stereotype as a challenge. Kinda like right before you had your first child you said, "I'm going to be the best Dad/Mom in the world. I've learned from my parent's mistakes and I am going to do ____ different." Maybe in 20 years our impact will have made a difference. - by EXP Creative
Choosing one over the other I would have to go with marketing. - by Sanddollar
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.