Home > Follow-up > waiting for a response.. what to do?

waiting for a response.. what to do?

what do you do when you are waiting for a response?.
is it rude to call back a customer/or email them back to see if they are still interested in the product?.. is this pushing?

or is it better to let it be? - by rox2006
This would depend on how you left it. Are you suppose to call back at a certain time? If not, what would you say when you called back? - by AZBroker
;bg
is it rude to call back a customer/or email them back to see if they are still interested in the product?.. is this pushing?

or is it better to let it be?
Great day rox2006,

Create a follow-up system and always follow-up.

If you do not follow-up you foul up.

michael
job ready strategist - by job ready strategist
I always set a date and time of day (morning; early afternoon, etc.) to schedule a follow-up. If the person is not there, then I leave on their message when I will be following up next. By doing this, the person realizes I'm not being a nuisance, I'm just doing my job. AND that I will continue to do so until he talks to me.

I've always received good results and feedback from this. - by Coda1108
Avon wants us to "call back" each customer. I do this each campaign right before I turn in my order. Sure enough, sometimes a customer got busy and didn't realize it was time to turn in their order. ;sm - by ozzie
I think there's nothing wrong of calling back the customers. You can follow-up them by introducing other products or simply email them testimonials from other who tried your product. If you feel that they are really not interested of your products, then look for other customers. - by shinningstar
This would depend on how you left it. Are you suppose to call back at a certain time? If not, what would you say when you called back?
THAT makes sense. - by Joe Closer

Set up a follow up schedule when you're still with the prospect (or on the phone). "When's the bet time for me to follow up with you?" Then, nail down a day and a time. They should be expecting your call.

Susan - by susana
Set up a follow up schedule when you're still with the prospect (or on the phone). "When's the bet time for me to follow up with you?" Then, nail down a day and a time. They should be expecting your call.

Susan
I don't think that is good enough. You still have to tell them the reason you will call them rather than just saying "follow up". - by Joe Closer

I interpreted the original post to be about following up, and how to effectively set the expectation with the customer for a proper time/way to do that.

Susan - by susana

This was always tough for me as well, but then I also used to suffer from social anxieties (amazing how sales changes that), and was often afraid to call them for fear of failure.
Anway...
I would say it is always better to call back and "see how things are going" with your client. If you haven't set up a protocol in your first meeting as to the how's and when's, you can just play it casual and friendly - ask them how they are and were they able to make a decision yet - that kind of thing.

In my business, swimming pool remodeling and refinishing, people are calling us and making appointments for our sales people to come out. What I constantly have to remind my sales force is that they are there for a reason. The homeowner WANTS us to sell them our product. They called us and usually three other companies to see who is the best. So the sale is made, it is up to salesperson to convince the homeowner we are the best.
So if you don't follow up, and don't call them back...well, your chances of getting the sale are greatly reduced.

However, I imagine this is very different with "cold call" selling. But I would still say it is definitely better to call back and be a little pushy, especially if they were remotely interested in your product. It's better to have a definite YES or NO, than the lingering maybe. It's not rude, it's sales. - by kpm1976
Jill Konrath has a post on her Selling to Big Companies blog called "Keeping in Touch Strategies" that gives a few ideas about this.
http://sellingtobigcompanies.blogs.com/selling/2006/12/keeping_in_touc.html - by Houston
You should always call back. Don't assume that just because the customer hasn't called you back that they are not interested anymore. Maybe other things came up, and the purchase of your product dropped on the priority list, and it's one of those things they will "get to".

With that said, if you have tried to get in touch with them and not received a response, it's worth it to make one last attempt and leave a voice mail saying something to the effect of "Mr./Mrs. Customer, I have been trying to get in touch with you in regards to the purchase of Product X that we discussed a few weeks ago, but have not heard back from you. I assume this means you are no longer interested, so this will be my last communication in regards to Product X. However, if things change and this becomes a priority again, please feel free to contact me at..."

I have had many customers call me back immediately after receiving this message apologizing for not getting back with me sooner, and giving me a status update to the purchase of the product. It forces the customer not to take your next follow-up call for granted, and puts the ball in their court. - by MarkS
It is also worth keeping in touch after a prospect does not give you business at first. I know some people don't agree with this method, feeling that a No is a No, so don't they waste their time.

However, in some cases (not too rarely, either) it makes sense to have occasional contact with a prospect, especially if they tell you they're "just not ready." Maintaining such contact may only cost you a phone call once or twice a year.

Case in point, I'm going to a trade show later this month, and got in touch with a few long-time prospects. One of them told me that after three years of our meeting up at this annual event, his company might be ready to use our services. It was a great phone call to make, and the three years of staying in touch may soon pay off.

Also... there's always the chance that during one of these phone calls, your prospect says "I still can't use your product, but one of my colleagues may really benefit from this." Even better, when you stay in touch, why not ask your prospect if he HAS a friend or colleague who can use the service! - by Coda1108
In my experiences, in ANYTHING you do...it is best to allow the person you are speaking with to know EVERYTHING that you know that could be of ANY benefit to them. People have very busy lives, and thus do not have the luxury of waiting around wondering when you could call with pertinent information pertaining to the matter you're involved in.
Not only will your customer appreciate the convenience (which provides a value to your service) but it will also create a trusting relationship (or at least the start of one) with your customer, as well as allowing them to plan their business with you around THEIR schedule....they will respect you more in the future for this.
The greatest road block when it comes to sales is trust...you need to "put all your cards on the table" so the customer does not get confused, and feels empowered every step of the way.
By being completely open and honest about every step of the proccess you are placing the other party "on YOUR team" and hence strengthening the bond that you will form with your customer.;wi
In my opinion...the customer DESERVES to know EVERYTHING ahead of time....because "last minute" provokes a "panic decision". - by truesaxman
When I see wait to here on a prospect file, I am looking at a suspect and I am not sure if that isn't the sales person. 95% of my follow ups are for a decision. The remainder are info that
prospect needs but I couldn't provide on the first call. In either case I want to be in control of the follow up call. I create urgency, and get the prospect to agree to a time and also, what happens if I call at that time and the prospect isn't there. I.E., Jack I look forward to talking with you at 10 am tomorrow for your decision, I hope it will be a positive one because (restate a benefit they liked). If I call, you are not available and I leave a message, how quickly can I expect a return call. (wait for response). Great, if I don't hear from you by that time may I call you back immediately (or set a time)? Now everyone knows what is going to happen and has agreed to it. No chance of being accused of being rude if you have a true prospect. If you don't have a true prospect it is time to close the file and move on. - by triadtraining
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.