Home > Personal Development > money as motivation

money as motivation

Obviously, most of us can be motivated by money, but raises are soon forgotten and commissions can be sporatic. What other factors motivate you? Would you still be doing what you do if the money you earn wasn't as good? - by Doc MC
I think there must be a deeper purpose to be motivated by than just money. Otherwise it is pure prostitution. I guess I too could do something more lucrative than what I do now, but personally I'm not that much of a whore. I want to do something that earns me money but I don't have to call it work.

But my perspective may be totally different. Having grown up in hard-core communism, I had pretty nasty conditioning about money, so I had a bit of mess to clear up in my head when I defected to England in 1988.

Now I believe in money as a tool for value exchange. That is why I charge for perceived value in my work, not for dispensed time. Clients make a fair investment in a future we create together.

To me the great motivator is freedom and the opportunity that using my brain I can help other who are willing to help themselves, that is, willing to invest in themselves. No investment no return.

Cheers

Bald Dog - by Bald Dog
Obviously, most of us can be motivated by money, but raises are soon forgotten and commissions can be sporatic. What other factors motivate you? Would you still be doing what you do if the money you earn wasn't as good?
I'm hoping to further motivate my sales reps by offering them a program where after they develop their territory, they can cut their hours down to as little as 5-10 per week to have the opportunity to ENJOY their hard-earned money. I figure everyone wants to make good money, but no one really wants to be the work-aholic, that normally goes along with the income. I guess I would classify this under "freedom." - by RainMaker
My motivation is "Interest" and "Freedom."

I like what I do because it holds my interest and offers me the freedom I desire.

I would not exchange that for money. - by Gilbert
What other factors motivate you?
Lack of money. When I'm running on fumes I am the most motivated. - by WobblyBox
Lack of money. When I'm running on fumes I am the most motivated.
I think the problem with this approach is that we subconsciously try to create more of what motivates us. If it is lack of money, we create more lack of money to get motivated. - by Bald Dog
I think the problem with this approach is that we subconsciously try to create more of what motivates us. If it is lack of money, we create more lack of money to get motivated.
That's actually a good point! :cool: - by WobblyBox
Would you still be doing what you do if the money you earn wasn't as good?
Heck No! :D - by Newbie
Heck No! :D
Then why not do something else that you would really enjoy as well? - by Doc MC
Then why not do something else that you would really enjoy as well?
I'm working on it. ;) - by Newbie
What other factors motivate you?
Striving to meet a challenge. ;) - by Frankie
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.