Home > Management > How did you get that name?

How did you get that name?

I'd be interested in hearing how others chose their business name. Also, if you have a website how did you choose that name too? - by WobblyBox
I'd be interested in hearing how others chose their business name. Also, if you have a website how did you choose that name too?
Back in the early nineties when home computers and small business systems started to take off, you could still make money selling computer hardware. I felt that there were direct sales opportunies there targeting the "cocoon market" which was related to "don't leave your home or office--we'll come to you."

So I started a company to provide hardware--outsourcing the manufacturing process. The problem in my mind was that I look more like an aging ex-linebacker than I do computer geek. So I chose the name Highfalutin Computin' to add a touch of humor. (Nobody knew how to spell it when writing me a check.) I also grabbed the domain name buffalobiz.com to tout my company and used free internet advertising incentives to gain small business clients. Today buffalobiz.com is parked and points to my site.

I also wrote a newsletter for clients and small business prospects called (are you ready for this) The Boye Howdy Report. For those people outside of the U.S., "boy howdy" is a popular idiom in the Texas area--kinda like "fair dinkum" down under.

Anyway, the bottom dropped out of the hardware business and I wasn't tech oriented enough to get creative in the software field. I took my direct marketing skills elsewhere. - by Gary Boye
I haven't heard that term in a while. I remember reading about "Cocooning" in, "The Popcorn Report." :) - by WobblyBox
I haven't heard that term in a while. I remember reading about "Cocooning" in, "The Popcorn Report." :)
The cocooning phenomenon had a huge impact on my life and career. I eventually created a model for in-home selling for the floor covering industry which was replicated by some very successful businesses--a few who started franchising the concept. I still maintain a vested interest in a company that has it down pat. The marketing vehicle was direct response marketing using "live read" radio commercials done by popular on-air personalities. There are some other businesses in other fields that hired me to customize the concept for them--as recently as within the last few months.

I don't hear the word "cocooning" anymore. Faith Popcorn wrote about it several years ago--but my idea was triggered from a different source and I can't remember what it was.

Nice to hear somebody else recognize the term. - by Gary Boye
I don't have the slightest idea what you two are talking about! :confused: :o - by RainMaker
I don't have the slightest idea what you two are talking about! :confused: :o
Faith Popcorn published a book titled, "The Popcorn Report".

Holy Crap! I just read the copyright; 1991. I bought that book when it first came out. Where did the years go? :( - by WobblyBox
I tell ya, Wob..these kids today--never even heard of cocooning--or even The Popcorn Report. Yeah..it's not like in the old days. - by Gary Boye
I tell ya, Wob..these kids today--never even heard of cocooning--or even The Popcorn Report. Yeah..it's not like in the old days.
I remember selling "Grit" door to door. :eek: - by WobblyBox
I remember selling "Grit" door to door. :eek:
Based on your avatar I'm guessing you are the reason they invented those "peek holes" in the door! :eek: (I don't know where you got that picture, but I simply can't look at it without cracking up!) - by RainMaker
Based on your avatar I'm guessing you are the reason they invented those "peek holes" in the door! :eek: (I don't know where you got that picture, but I simply can't look at it without cracking up!)
I like it too! :) - by WobblyBox
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.