Home > Jobs > Outside Work in the Arctic Air?

Outside Work in the Arctic Air?

Do any of your sales jobs have you working outside more than you'd like in the frozen tundra that's become much of the United States? (Hehe Wow, that sentence was a mouthful!) I'm thinking real estate agents need to show homes, auto salespeople need to be on the lot with customers, etc. I'm fortunate in that I get to stay inside to work and with a wind chill of -20 below and colder a few days ago, that's not a bad thing. ;om - by destiny
It has been a problem for me this Winter. Our weather has been especially bad and I walk to a lot of my customers doing my Avon delieveries and passing out brochures. A few times I was very carefully walking on ice and I'm very afraid of falling. I did ok.

Now it's time to venture out again and it's pretty darn cold but the streets and sidewalks are clear at least. ;sm - by ozzie
If a prospect is walking the dealership lot in the snow and freezing temperatures I'd say chances are good they are a serious buyer. ;wi - by Mikey
I'll never forget when we were car shopping one day about a year ago. It was pouring down rain. We were very serious shoppers and were taking advantage of being in K.C. to see if their prices on Camry's were better than in our area.

We walked around the lot slowly, under umbrellas for quite some time as several male salesmen tried not to notice us from their showroom.

After a bit, a female drove through the lot and pulled up at the showroom door. A few minutes later she came walking up to us under her umbrella and offered to let us test drive the vehicle we were looking at.

We appreciated all of the time she spent with us that day, in the rain. We almost bought one of her cars but told her we wanted to think about it a little longer. (it didn't have quite all the features we were looking for.)

We later bought one from our local dealer who was able to get exactly what we were wanting but I've never forgotten her dedication. - by ozzie
If a prospect is walking the dealership lot in the snow and freezing temperatures I'd say chances are good they are a serious buyer. ;wi
Very true.

I'm actually just getting over being sick due to being out in this cold weather. Not only do we have to go outside to help customers, but we also have to clean the snow off the cars and move cars to have the lot plowed. This usually takes at least 4 hours at my dealership (we have over 800 cars). Then you go out side and inside the change from warm to cold makes it real easy to get sick. heres to winter;thd . - by RyanJ
If a prospect is walking the dealership lot in the snow and freezing temperatures I'd say chances are good they are a serious buyer. ;wi
:thu Touche, Mikey! Very true, but it doesn't make it any more pleasant for the salesperson. Maybe there should be a monitor system like at gas pumps where the salesperson could just talk to the buyer that way. Just half teasing here, but I wrote that when it was sub zero here and I didn't even want to open the door to get the paper in! Couldn't imagine having to be out working in that! ;bg - by destiny
I have recently purchased an erablier (a maple sugar bush for the anglophones here in the forum). While I haven't begin the real work of producing maple syrup, just cutting firewood to stay warm has given me many opportunities to work outide in the "frozen tundra" - by rlabston
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.